OP
Reefer1978

Reefer1978

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sponges and air dont mix and Some sponges can contain toxins.
You can expose the rock to air for about 5 mins OR you can inject either air or vinegar via syringe into them and they will start to wither away

But I need something tank-wide. I can't drain the entire tank and sump, even for 10 minutes lets say.

OP
OP
Reefer1978

Reefer1978

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sponges and air dont mix and Some sponges can contain toxins.
You can expose the rock to air for about 5 mins OR you can inject either air or vinegar via syringe into them and they will start to wither away

I am micro-scrubbing every night for 4 hours, which should be injecting a lot of air into the tank, but no impact.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
But I need something tank-wide. I can't drain the entire tank and sump, even for 10 minutes lets say.
syringe may be the method to use as needle can reach in awkward spaces.

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems that what you are looking for is a chemical substance that can eradicate all sponges, while not destroying your prized mushrooms. Tall order...

Evidentally, there is a novel Alphaproteobacteria strain that has been identified as a primary sponge pathogen:

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/17504474/

Perhaps a long-shot, but you could try contacting Eli over at Aquabiomics to see if he has heard of this strain and, if so, possibly a source.

Best of luck!

OP
OP
Reefer1978

Reefer1978

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Seems that what you are looking for is a chemical substance that can eradicate all sponges, while not destroying your prized mushrooms. Tall order...

Evidentally, there is a novel Alphaproteobacteria strain that has been identified as a primary sponge pathogen:

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/17504474/

Perhaps a long-shot, but you could try contacting Eli over at Aquabiomics to see if he has heard of this strain and, if so, possibly a source.

Best of luck!

Will reach out - thanks so much!!

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Folks, please keep this on topic. I don't want thread to become an identification thread, or a "benefits of sponges" thread. I am asking how to fully get rid the tank of sponges. If you don't have the know-how, or ideas, please refrain from commenting.

You asked how can you get rid of sponges. Well if you want help to get rid of them, then you have to say what kind of sponge it is. If you don't want help, that's fine, I'll leave the thread, but typically it's helpful to give an ID on what exactly you are wanting to get rid of given that there are thousands of different sponges.

Sorta like saying calling pest control saying hey help me get rid of a pest and then getting mad when they ask if you know what pest it is

Last edited:
OP
OP
Reefer1978

Reefer1978

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You asked how can you get rid of sponges. Well if you want help to get rid of them, then you have to say what kind of sponge it is. If you don't want help, that's fine, I'll leave the thread, but typically it's helpful to give an ID on what exactly you are wanting to get rid of given that there are thousands of different sponges.

Sorta like saying calling pest control saying hey help me get rid of a pest and then getting mad when they ask if you know what pest it is

The reason why I don't want to get into specific identification is because I've been around the forum long enough and I know how these threads get... ID 1 - scrape it off... ID 2 throw it in some peroxide, etc. I am initially looking for something more generic, add "this medication" it kills all sponges, something like flucanazole treatment for algae, etc.

I don't want anyone to leave the thread, but I want to do my best to keep the conversation on topic, as I know how "wild" the convo and experimentation can get.

OP
OP
Reefer1978

Reefer1978

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you do end up going with that pathogen, be very mindful of what you do with the water/frags/stones that come out of that system.

Would be a shame if that spread around the hobby or even got released somehow somewhere where it wasn't before

If I am right, it's already all over the hobby and I got it from someone also (I don't like to keep wild mushrooms for this exact reason). I spoke to many reefers that have random, slow losses without any explanation.

OP
OP
Reefer1978

Reefer1978

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you do end up going with that pathogen, be very mindful of what you do with the water/frags/stones that come out of that system.

Would be a shame if that spread around the hobby or even got released somehow somewhere where it wasn't before

Ohh I think I see what you meant, yes test treatment would be in a very closed test environment, I am not sure I would treat the entire system with that.

hds4216

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ohh I think I see what you meant, yes test treatment would be in a very closed test environment, I am not sure I would treat the entire system with that.
I suspect it will be very difficult to obtain this pathogen. First, there are fairly strict regulations regarding the mailing of pathogens. https://pe.usps.com/text/pub52/pub52apxc_019.htm

I am not sure if sponge pathogens qualify, but they technically are an animal and animal pathogens are included in this list.

Second, I bet only a few labs have any isolated bacteria, and I bet it would be almost impossible to commercially grow the way we do most bacteria (a variety of mediums are available, but none that I know of would I consider a likely candidate for this, and I have a degree in microbiology.) Finally, I find it unlikely any labs would send it to you, even if they had some. Labs don't just send out potentially ecologically devastating microbes.

If you do get, please update us. This is very fascinating.

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suspect it will be very difficult to obtain this pathogen. First, there are fairly strict regulations regarding the mailing of pathogens. https://pe.usps.com/text/pub52/pub52apxc_019.htm

I am not sure if sponge pathogens qualify, but they technically are an animal and animal pathogens are included in this list.

Second, I bet only a few labs have any isolated bacteria, and I bet it would be almost impossible to commercially grow the way we do most bacteria (a variety of mediums are available, but none that I know of would I consider a likely candidate for this, and I have a degree in microbiology.) Finally, I find it unlikely any labs would send it to you, even if they had some. Labs don't just send out potentially ecologically devastating microbes.

Yeah I thought I'd just mention that a bit of caution and containment would be appropriate for the unlikely case that the pathogen is available. You never know which doors might open with $30000

OP
OP
Reefer1978

Reefer1978

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

I am still hoping there's going to be a simple solution too. Would rather not mess with viruses as some have a little over a year ago. :)

hds4216

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I thought I'd just mention that a bit of caution and containment would be appropriate for the unlikely case that the pathogen is available. You never know which doors might open with $30000
I completely agree. Attempts at biological warfare has ended badly more often than not.

Back