Spongy growth on Clove Polyps?

DiscoMush

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's are these weird growths on my clove polyps? The yellow spongy looking thing has been there since I purchased it - I assumed it was part of the clove polyp but only recently discovered that my other clove polyps don't have this. Assuming it's a sponge, is it safe to cut it off?

Another weird growth on my clove polyps are these black fuzzy spots that also feel like sponges, but are really hard to pull off. I did a coral dip but the black growths aren't coming off :(

WhatsApp Image 2021-09-14 at 9.00.36 PM.jpeg WhatsApp Image 2021-09-14 at 9.00.37 PM.jpeg WhatsApp Image 2021-09-14 at 9.00.37 PM (1).jpeg

Isopod80

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The yellow growth is sponge. Can't say for sure visually reguarding the black but it certainly sounds like a sponge as well. You can safely scrape them off. I would at this point anyway as some sponges can be pretty toxic, especially when dead and quite possibly will be killed by the dip. Many sponges are killed simply by exposing them to air even briefly. Best to avoid placing them back in the tank at this point. Not only that but if they did survive they could potentially smother those cloves and keep going. Don't get me wrong, I love sponges and have several in my tank. I just never let them grow that close to coral and I'd never place one back in the tank if I thought it was going to die. From now on its best to remove sponges like this prior to dipping the coral. You don't want to risk stressing the sponge and potentially poisoning the dip either.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

DiscoMush

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The yellow growth is sponge. Can't say for sure visually reguarding the black but it certainly sounds like a sponge as well. You can safely scrape them off. I would at this point anyway as some sponges can be pretty toxic, especially when dead and quite possibly will be killed by the dip. Many sponges are killed simply by exposing them to air even briefly. Best to avoid placing them back in the tank at this point. Not only that but if they did survive they could potentially smother those cloves and keep going. Don't get me wrong, I love sponges and have several in my tank. I just never let them grow that close to coral and I'd never place one back in the tank if I thought it was going to die. From now on its best to remove sponges like this prior to dipping the coral. You don't want to risk stressing the sponge and potentially poisoning the dip either.
Thank you! Your information was super helpful :) I had no idea they could be toxic! I've since removed the sponges and hopefully my clove polyps will be able to grow more

Upvote 0

Isopod80

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy to help. You can even brush those areas gently with a toothbrush to help get it all. I failed to mention that initially.

Upvote 0

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.2%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back