Sponsors that ship live goods to Canada?

Bottyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didn't know this discussion section for Canadians existed. Kinda low on posts :eek:

I've trying to figure out where to ask this but was hoping anyone here may know where I can find details on sponsors that have export rights to ship to Canada, specifically Toronto.

Thanks

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What exactly were you looking for? Corals or corals and fish? There are actually a few coral vendors in the GTA that Ship across Canada. Personally I'd never order any livestock across the border. I don't even like ordering equipment from across the border, shipping and duty fees are rediculous plus the $ value is a joke right now and probably won't improve for some time.

Last edited:

budau18

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's frag box. Jl aquatics. Canadian reef supplies and a few more

OP
OP
Bottyfish

Bottyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the quick replies!

Looking for corals/inverts from the US to see where we have options and variety to bring into our territory to grow and eventually circulate with other hobbyists. The options in the US make me jelly of our US hobbyists who can get overnight from tons of sellers. ;Drool

Not trying to give the impression that I'm not aware of Canadian retailers :). I'm actually pretty familiar with the retailers in GTA, Montreal, Calgary and Vancouver. Many of the big players have closed shop over the years since I started the hobby but some like JL/NAFB have stood the test of time.

Thanks again.

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm curious what you can't find in the gta? Other than LA there are probably more reef shops in the Toronto area than any US market. A couple of good ones have closed but there are still a lot. I miss living in Mississauga so much. I know the days of lining up at fish stores are mostly over even for the people there but other than "name brand" corals you can pretty much find any fish or coral somewhere.

OP
OP
Bottyfish

Bottyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to bring the thread back to my original question and was just really looking to see where Canadian hobbyists can get stuff from the US. This stemmed from looking at the massive list of *edit* vendors */edit* that I wouldn't mind supporting. :D

@andrewkw - Not sure when you were last living in sauga but the shops on Dundas strip are still there, except RR basically went wholesale, Aquactic kingdom moved to inside the mall of China town (Ryan split from AQ and opened up R2O down the street) and Canada Corals opened up near the area. Big als is still there etc.

Though I hear your opinion of the GTA reef shops and your comparison to any US market I would say that is an opinion.

I can't remember the last time I saw a tear drop maxima clam or an acan showpiece available from CA online retailers. Just a search online for "coral colonies" and one can quickly see the choices and colors of even the common corals are limited when comparing US to CA. I would say cynarina, indophyllia, wellsophyllia and fungia are pretty common in the reef hobby but again, the colors are limited for us and what is available is snatched up pretty quickly.

Anyway, not trying to turn this into some US vs CA retailer debate. Just want to see if there are options for us.

Cirlcing back to my original post.. if there are any US Sponsors that ship to CA, I wouldn't mind adding them to my watch list when shopping for my livestock. ;Watching

Thanks all!

Last edited:

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would be nice to see if there were any vendors willing to ship to CA, even if they did I'm not sure I would risk it but if something rare came along that's just not available here, it might be worth it. Another note If you go into your LFS and are looking for something specific it might be worth asking them if they can order it in. The majority of Canadian stores have the same coral suppliers as many US vendors.

Last edited:

Potatohead

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have ordered from CC and have been pleased. People I trust have also recommended Fragbox, I have ordered dry goods from BigShow but not livestock.

Torx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The issue is a legal one, not a willingness one. Many corals need be accompanied by CITES paperwork. That is very, very expensive plus the mark up from the retailer and makes it not worth while. Even with proper paperwork, your order can be held up at the border while it is looked into and may not make it alive and at that point you will be out the money plus what ever customs decides they want to tack on. Your only option would be to hook up with a wholesaler if you are a business and ship over an entire load of corals. I suggest as the other already did and visit those great sites. If there is something particular that you are looking for, then contact them to make a request. Maybe even swing by the Brantford Coral Show this Sept 23rd and check out all the vendors there.

OP
OP
Bottyfish

Bottyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe even swing by the Brantford Coral Show this Sept 23rd and check out all the vendors there.

For sure! Been following that thread on another forum.

Was at Canada corals today they are putting in an Aussie shipment so I made some requests

Was at bigshows place last week very nice picked up his last dragon's breath :cool:. If he posted everything he had on the site ;Jawdrop;Jawdrop;Jawdrop;Jawdrop

Imho fragbox does have nice stuff but I'm aware that many of his stuff are from hobbyists or other local reef stores and fragged + resold. Luckily I met bunch of them at frag meets which is why I can't wait till Brantford show to hook up with other hobbyists again.

kevensquint

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I order from canadian online vendors occasionally. I have suppliers and wholesalers here in MTL that I work with. The common consensus is very simple, shipping cost, duties, exchange plus legal issues where some animals allowed in the US are not allowed here. = huge expense, high risk of loss. If you have the means go for it. Most don't want to even bother. If it were me and I absolutely needed a frag I would more likely consider picking it up on my way home from a family vacation and play dumb at the boarder. But there is no coral worth that hassle IMO

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Off topic hear I am from NJ but visiting montreal for the weekend. I found a good LFS but hoping its not closed (raging reef).

Can anyone recommend a good place that sells SPS, LPS?

OP
OP
Bottyfish

Bottyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry that nobody chimed in...

I'm in Ontario so not really familiar with the LFS in that area. You found one and the other I know about was reefsolutions.

Hope you enjoyed the city had some poutine ;Snaphappy

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually went to Raging Reef in Montreal before driving home. I got 6 Acros, and few other frags all around 2-3".
I really enjoyed speaking to the owner he really knows his stuff. - You can tell by looking at his outstanding Acropora collection he is a true professional.
I kind of wish I bought some more corals his prices where excellent compared to what I am seeing now from online vendors.

videosilva

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In Mississauga you will get your coral fix. Like other have said ask a shop to order ??? I was under the impression that Canada was more lenient to coral importation compared to the U.S. thus better selection. Coral prices in the U.S. are stupid expensive.

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In Mississauga you will get your coral fix. Like other have said ask a shop to order ??? I was under the impression that Canada was more lenient to coral importation compared to the U.S. thus better selection. Coral prices in the U.S. are stupid expensive.

They are crazy stupid prices here. However, you can find alot of local hobbyist that will hook you up.. I don't believe in spending more than $25-$65 per SPS coral frag or colony. With SPS you know its a hit or miss which one will survive.. Ultimately, you will lose some unlike sofites and LPS which tend to just survive in a wide range of conditions

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 18 29.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 51 83.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.9%
Back