Spot Feeding Corals: Do you and what are you feeding?

Do you spot feed or feed any of your corals directly?

• Yes (please tell us what in the thread)

Votes: 209 45.2%
  • NO

Votes: 115 24.9%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 134 29.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 4 0.9%

• Total voters

DDenny

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I don't have any fish in my tank I do feed. If my tank was bigger and I had some fish I probably wouldn't. Currently feeding Reed Roids (once a week for the birdsnest) but adding Coral Frenzy 0.5mm pellets for LPS. only been feeding a short time so no results as of yet.

wheels 45

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes when I feed my fish I will spot feed my anemone, blasto merletti, and my Trachyphyllia coral. It i fun to watch them take the food.

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I checked "NO" but I used to use Billy Pipes method (see post #13) but I switched to CoralVues EasySps gel and dose daily plus using WWCs rec. using CoralAmino (which I add to my ATOs) all my corals are noticeably growing better & faster.

Sabra616

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spot feed my lps and zoas I only have three fish in my 20 cube so I struggle to keep nutrients up. I only spot feed mysis. I definitely notice a difference in the growth rate of zoas/palys I spot feed as opposed to those I don't.

Tmrvstyle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I broadcast feed typically, however, I target feed reef chili for acans and some other corals.

58e970b2-3f88-4897-87ba-5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. I spot feed my LPS coral

2. I don’t have much to compare against, but I recently switch food and have noticed significantly more growth and everyone in the tank looks better

3. I am feeding a mix of blended seafood (shrimp, squid, little neck clams, mussels), Red Sea Reef Energy AB+, and Reef-Roids.

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Used to do Reef Roids , not anymore. Spot feed Live Phyto ( Phyto Feast) thanks @Reef Nutrition , I do notice a difference in the colour pop, and polyp extension, and doesn't foul up my water. The rest they will get from excess nutrients.
Edit: I do feed Uncle Duncan a few pieces of scallop or shrimp when the Nem gets its feeding. Seems to perk the fella up nicely!

DIAZ REEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spot feed my
Torches
Hammers
Frogspawns
Acans
Mushroom
Zoas
Duncan
Elegance
Rainbow clove polyps
And yes I really do think they benefit from it. It’s super cool to watch and a couple hours later the softies look more swollen and the zoas brighter.
I spot feed reef roids, and broadcast reef frenzy once daily.

Shaummy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Do you spot feed any of your corals and if so which types?
Yes I sometimes spot feed my LPS corals

2. Do you notice that the corals you feed directly grow faster and generally seem healthier?
I have seen better growth and color when feeding them regularly

3. What types of food do you spot feed your corals?

Generally I feed them PE Mysys or similar meaty foods

litlsea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spot feed Lobo's and Trachy's Bowerbanki's Echinata and Hammers. Usually once a week twice at most.
They seem to have better color and puff out more so I think there is benefit.
I feed RS AB+ or Acropower 10 minutes before I spot feed with Julians thing modified with a larger hole to feed a "soup" of Reef Roids, mysis, plankton, brine shrimp, LPS pellets.

Jax15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. I only broadcast feed. Spot feeding takes too long.

2. I use Reef Energy AB+ every day, with either reef chili or reef roids w/polyp booster 3X per week. My filtration is super efficient, so I try to keep food in the water column most of the time.

If you ask Tidal Gardens, they swear spot feeding is critical for many types of corals.

Neilie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PE mysis and Chromaboost

Chromaboost video for a basic scoly.
Scoly pre and post 1 month apart with q2d feedings
Now 4x the size

IMG-2023.jpg
Photo Resizer 2021_02_15_12_55_45.jpg
I have a scoly that’s looking like the top picture. I tried to spot feed mysis, bloodworms reef roids mix and cover it with a plastic container with holes so the shrimp don’t get the food. I can’t seem to see it getting better. What exactly did you feed yours? I f you don’t mind. I really would love to bring this piece back to life.

Dw79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once a week or so, I feed my LPS either Reefroids or Mysis

Operation Philo Beddoe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is NOT about broadcast feeding, like adding foods to the water column. This QOTD is about spot feeding or direct feeding!

Corals like to eat and it's pretty intriguing to watch certain corals gobble up food we directly feed them. They extend those long tentacles or tiny flowery-like polyps and you can't help but want to give them something to snack on. But with a tank full of corals, or with limited hobby time, for many, directly feeding their corals is not feasible. But is it more beneficial if you do spot feed? Will your corals grow faster and be more healthy? Let's talk about it today!

2. Do you notice that the corals you feed directly grow faster and generally seem healthier?

image via @Paul87
JSpTxkb.jpg
Corals in my hospital/quarantine tank.

cajunreefguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Combo, broadcast for the SPS and Turkey Baster for the LPS

Absolutely. 2 headed Duncan has 5 new heads in 4 months. Rasta Zoe’s 2.5x original size in the same 4 time.

Original Rod’s but chopped smaller and re frozen, I add powdered spirillana from BRS, seachem amino acids and benepets powder. I pour some in the tank for the fish the spot feed.

dimitrinivo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spot feed reef roids marinated in marine snow for my softies, sps, and some of my lps corals but for the big eaters like duncans, scolymia and trachyphylia i feed anemone pellets

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 142 60.9%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 65 27.9%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 83 35.6%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 41 17.6%
  • Other

Votes: 63 27.0%
Back