Spot Feeding Corals: Do you and what are you feeding?

Do you spot feed or feed any of your corals directly?

• Yes (please tell us what in the thread)

Votes: 209 45.2%
  • NO

Votes: 115 24.9%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 134 29.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 4 0.9%

• Total voters

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes ive spot fed trachy. Acans. Rhizo flabellum corals. Walking dendro corals. Mostly lps brain corals with mouths and feeder tenticles. Just cuz i wanted to watch. Lol.
D

iman7045

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spot feed all of my acans and my lobo and usually its just mysis and i also broadcast feed PE mysis flakes. I have seen some faster growth with feeding than without.

melfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Do you spot feed any of your corals and if so which types?

Yes. LPS & nems, and the dregs go to the soft corals

2. Do you notice that the corals you feed directly grow faster and generally seem healthier?

I think so, but that could just be confirmation bias. I find some just won't live in my system without supplemental feeding. Notably maze brains and acans. But that could be a combination of other factors as well

3. What types of food do you spot feed your corals?

Whatever frozen foods I have. Mysis, homemade slurry, even fish food pellets. I sometimes add some reef roids in there with it

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seinfeld Soup GIF

No coral food.... tried it many times and leftover food around the area just turns into nuisance algae, eventually

Corals do just fine living on fish poop and swirling around food when fish get fed

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, feed 1-2 times per week. All LPS and feeding mysis or other frozen meaty foods.

Definitely grow faster and healthier puffed out appearances with regular feeding.

Ghrommi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spot feed my acans once a week and my goniastrea twice a week with small coral pellets. I feel like they do really appreciate some food.
For everything else I use reef roids.

thedougen

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 times a week spot feed corals with reef roids.....feed fish everyday with either pellets or mysis

PAreefer710

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spot feed once a week usually. And it is normally a mix of reef roids, hikari coral delight, oyster feast, roti feast, lrs reef frenzy, Red Sea ab+... basically a little bit of everything lol.

Salty Jays Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spot feed typically twice a week. I put polyp lab, polyp booster in just before lights out, and 15 minutes after lights out I turn the flow way down and spot everything I can using a mix of reef roids, reef chili, and frozen Mysis. Corals I typically hit with feedings are primarily LPS. Bank on the SPS getting whatever is floating around once flow returns.

Buckster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a mix of corals and spot feed them along with broadcast feeding. I use reef roids, reef chili, benereef reef food and live brine.

waverider

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I target feed a mix of Reef Roids and Red Sea reef energy AB+ once a week at most. Usually immediately after a water change.

Nhjmc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I alternate spot feedings with Reef Energy AB+, Barrier Reef Labs LPS formula and Reef Roids 3x times a week. I've noticed happier corals and more color over the last few months. I have only LPS, feed a tiny amount and keep my po4 around 0.07 to 0.1 and nitrate <10.
I was spot feeding ab+ and reef roids as well and sent my nitrates sky high major algae outbreak that wiped out half my corals .

CavalierReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spot feed my
Torches
Hammers
Frogspawns
Acans
Mushroom
Zoas
Duncan
Elegance
Rainbow clove polyps
And yes I really do think they benefit from it. It’s super cool to watch and a couple hours later the softies look more swollen and the zoas brighter.
I spot feed reef roids, and broadcast reef frenzy once daily.
We seem to have similar coral stocking. How much are you feeding them and are you having any issues with elevated phosphates/nitrates? Thanks for your response.

ChelmonMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Do you spot feed any of your corals and if so which types? Yes. Mostly LPS.

2. Do you notice that the corals you feed directly grow faster and generally seem healthier? In general yes, Duncan in particular.

3. What types of food do you spot feed your corals? Reef Roids via syringe. I use the Billy Pipes method.

Informative video. I want to give it a try. My question is: how often do you feed?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 95 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back