Spot ID assistance needed

kdsmithey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. I am hoping to get some assistance in identifying 2 white spots that I noticed on my Coral Beauty today. My LFS suspects ich, but I am not confident in that diagnosis due to the shape of the spots and specifically the way they stick out. They are shaped somewhat like a grain of rice that is sticking out sideways.

I greatly appreciate any help that can be provided.

F689C5BD-DB7F-48E4-AA0F-88D9E61F4F0A.jpeg
277CDFB5-2DC3-40EA-80A2-22C5293EBCB6.jpeg
249355DE-B177-4898-818F-75EAA20E472D.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Appears to be lymphocystis. This is viral considering it is. You will know tomorrow if its the same two dots or more have appeared. If the same two, Lympho does not progress quickly. With good water quality and diet, it will soon vanish.
This Infection appears on the infected fish as one or more white or beige colored pebble or wart-like nodules most commonly seen on the fins, skin, or gills, although other tissues may be affected.

Add selcon vitamins to foods 2-3 x a week and on alternating days, Garlic extract for immunity health

OP
OP
kdsmithey

kdsmithey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Appears to be lymphocystis. This is viral considering it is. You will know tomorrow if its the same two dots or more have appeared. If the same two, Lympho does not progress quickly. With good water quality and diet, it will soon vanish.
This Infection appears on the infected fish as one or more white or beige colored pebble or wart-like nodules most commonly seen on the fins, skin, or gills, although other tissues may be affected.

Add selcon vitamins to foods 2-3 x a week and on alternating days, Garlic extract for immunity health
Thank you for the quick reply! Regarding additional spots, would 1-2 more spots tomorrow be “normal” for lymphocytosis, or should there be no additional spots tomorrow to confirm this diagnosis?

Thanks again! I am bummed my first post on here is for disease ID.

OP
OP
kdsmithey

kdsmithey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update. The larger spot is gone. The smaller is still there, but it looks even smaller today. Larger spot was there for less than 24 hours.

Just for my understanding for the future, does this still fit the characteristics of lymphocytosis? I have read many of the posts about lymphocytosis, but have not seen any mention to it clearing up this quickly. No intervention was taken (I understand this disease has no “cure” anyway—I will be adding supplements as suggest above).

Behavior and eating/picking at live rock never changed.

@Jay Hemdal #reefsquad

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That doesn’t look like Lymphocystis to me. Those look like mucus plugs. Take a look at the article on mucus that I posted a week or two back, it talks about various mucus issues - I’m not exactly sure what causes these though.
Jay

OP
OP
kdsmithey

kdsmithey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That doesn’t look like Lymphocystis to me. Those look like mucus plugs. Take a look at the article on mucus that I posted a week or two back, it talks about various mucus issues - I’m not exactly sure what causes these though.
Jay
Thank you Jay! Just read the article, fantastic read and extremely helpful, as always!

It is interesting bc a month or so ago I did treat for flukes with prazipro at the recommendation of my LFS. The same fish was scratching on rocks, became lethargic, and a cloudy eye developed very quick. After treating with prazipro, all cleared up with 48 hours and behavior became normal again. Now I am curious if that was mucus related as well. I did have an issue with very high salinity due to a broken RedSea refractometer (all other water parameters were normal and stable). Maybe this was all stress induced from that salinity issue last month?

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jay

Agree with Jay. I almost always see lymphocytis on the fins...if not exclusively on the fins they are almost always involved.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you Jay! Just read the article, fantastic read and extremely helpful, as always!

It is interesting bc a month or so ago I did treat for flukes with prazipro at the recommendation of my LFS. The same fish was scratching on rocks, became lethargic, and a cloudy eye developed very quick. After treating with prazipro, all cleared up with 48 hours and behavior became normal again. Now I am curious if that was mucus related as well. I did have an issue with very high salinity due to a broken RedSea refractometer (all other water parameters were normal and stable). Maybe this was all stress induced from that salinity issue last month?
Maybe, but I think these are two separate issues. How high did the salinity go?

Keep an eye on these mucus plugs - watch that other symptoms don't develop.

Jay

OP
OP
kdsmithey

kdsmithey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe, but I think these are two separate issues. How high did the salinity go?

Keep an eye on these mucus plugs - watch that other symptoms don't develop.

Jay
Display tank reached 1.030.

I had help from a family member over the holidays with a water change. The new water for the change was reading 1.026 on the RedSea refractometer (immediately after calibration). I suspected something was up, so I took a sample to 2 LFS. Both read 1.030. RedSea confirmed my refractometer was faulty and replaced it. I have since bought a Milwaukee just to be safe.

Any specific symptoms I should be especially mindful of?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Display tank reached 1.030.

I had help from a family member over the holidays with a water change. The new water for the change was reading 1.026 on the RedSea refractometer (immediately after calibration). I suspected something was up, so I took a sample to 2 LFS. Both read 1.030. RedSea confirmed my refractometer was faulty and replaced it. I have since bought a Milwaukee just to be safe.

Any specific symptoms I should be especially mindful of?
Just general issues: new spots, rapid breathing or lack of feeding are the 3 big ones. I don’t think 1.030 would cause long term issues, the Red Sea runs at 1.028 I think.
Jay

Back