Spotlight on the Kessil AP700 LED Lighting Panel | BRStv

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

JMetaxas

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm setting up a 180 gallon tank, that has a Synergy Overflow, right in the middle of the rear panel.

For lighting I'm considering the Kessil AP700 , two of them, with the A-series mounting arms. (I can't hang them as I have a very high ceiling above the tank) I'm concerned that the location of the mounts, on the rear, will be hindered by the Synergy box.

The two AP700's would be hopefully mounted equidistant from each other, left to right.

What do you guys think?

C'mon boys..........need some advice here.

USMC 4 LIFE

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For anyone considering or already owning the AP700 be aware that they have color discrepancy firmware issues that they are currently still working on. Time table they gave me was “months” which isn’t great.

The last two program points will fail to tune into the correct shade of blue and will default to the deepest blue instead. Not sure how many units this affects but since they are well aware of it, it’s safe to say that it’s a considerable amount.

After speaking and emailing their customer service rep, they came up with a temporary fix. Here it is and I hope it alleviate future headaches from people trying to repeatedly program the light with no effect.

c50f6f859cc744ba5d988cd8c7199cc9.jpg

ec590c2f126f3d81e21cc4ec131b55fc.jpg

9fb9ca88d85c7dfbd643abfc7a805f61.jpg

66ddcf9f00cb8cd2c422f361aaab90ee.jpg

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@JMetaxas you’ll be fine having both fixtures equidistant. It’s simple math really. Your 180 gallon tank is 72” long. The distance between each mount per fixture is about 20” (a little less I think). So for each fixture, divide the tank in half, two sections of 36” each. Now if you were to put a fixture in the middle of your 36” section keeping in mind the 20” mount span, you’d have 8” left on each side. Now put both 36” sections together and you get a perfect 16” in the middle... perfect for your 16” Synergy Reef overflow! :D

So can visualize it... over your 72” span, you’ll have an 8” glass span, arm mount, 18” glass span, arm mount, 16” Synergy overflow, arm mount, 18” glass span, arm mount, 8” glass span. I hope this helps.

Last edited:

AcanthurusRex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
C'mon boys..........need some advice here.
I have 2 AP700s over a RSR525. I like the lights, the hardware is first rate.
The lights can really only be used with a phone app. An app that is very rarely updated. Once the app becomes outdated and will not run on a newer OS the lights will be trash. Maybe an old android burner phone just for the lights would be a solution.
The BRS video shows an iPad; I was not aware the iPad was supported with the latest app.

JMetaxas

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Bro!

@JMetaxas you’ll be fine having both fixtures equidistant. It’s simple math really. Your 180 gallon tank is 72” long. The distance between each mount per fixture is about 20” (a little less I think). So for each fixture, divide the tank in half, two sections of 36” each. Now if you were to put a fixture in the middle of your 36” section keeping in mind the 20” mount span, you’d have 8” left on each side. Now put both 36” sections together and you get a perfect 16” in the middle... perfect for your 16” Synergy Reef overflow! :D

So can visualize it... over your 72” span, you’ll have an 8” glass span, arm mount, 18” glass span, arm mount, 16” Synergy overflow, arm mount, 18” glass span, arm mount, 8” glass span. I hope this helps.
dang

SonoranReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an AP70o mouted over a 48”x19” footprint pretty high off the water, about 16” off the water surface to get full coverage on the 48” footprint. It currently peaks at 70% to help adjust for the higher height off the water.

I have been toying with the idea of replacing the AP700 with two Hydra 26HD’s with the thought process that I can mount them lower and get more even coverage and par distribution... Is this really a better option in anyone’s opinion? Or should I just stick with the AP700. I’ve also had the same thought process with two XR15’s.

Mixed reef by the way. I know if I go full SPS I may need to re-evaluate this.

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve also had the same thought process with two XR15’s

I don't have firsthand experience with the lights you mention, but my first reaction is that the single puck on the x15 would not be an improvement in coverage. The dual pucks of x30 would be better, and the diffuser an important upgrade. If coverage + shading is concern, I would also consider adding T5

Rookie_reefer_420

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@JMetaxas i have 2 ap700’s over my 225 and have a 20inch synergy reef over flow and it is smack dab right in the way of the inside mounts for each fixture. I bought all the mount kits for mounting them to the back of the stand and the extenders (I have a 2.5 foot front to back footprint) and I couldn’t mount them due to the over flow being in the way. I should have just bought the hanging kits from the start but liked the mounts better. Now to build a canopy and I’ll need to buy the canopy kit... which means I’ll have bought all the kits to mount the kessils ‍♂️ Orrrrrrrr it means I should set up another 200+ gallon tank lol... good luck on your build

OP
OP
randyBRS

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an AP70o mouted over a 48”x19” footprint pretty high off the water, about 16” off the water surface to get full coverage on the 48” footprint. It currently peaks at 70% to help adjust for the higher height off the water. I have been toying with the idea of replacing the AP700 with two Hydra 26HD’s with the thought process that I can mount them lower and get more even coverage and par distribution... Is this really a better option in anyone’s opinion? Or should I just stick with the AP700. I’ve also had the same thought process with two XR15’s.
Mixed reef by the way. I know if I go full SPS I may need to re-evaluate this.

From what we found in testing over the 4ft tank, the PAR numbers should be able to easily support a mixed tank. Most likely though, you'd have to place SPS near the center under the light and midway or higher in the tank. I've seen some pretty interesting tanks with that type of center-mound style aquascape, not my personal cup of tea but pretty neat.

Ideally, if you do go full blown SPS, you'd probably want four Hydra-26s or XR15s to really spread out the PAR evenly and reduce shadowing and shading, however three of them could most likely get it done with loosely spread SPS colonies. I feel that two of either would leave you desiring more, specifically by way of even coverage.

Kessil A360s are also a solid option, with three working for a mixed tank or loose SPS tank. Again, four would probably be most ideal for full blown SPS. :)

-Randy

coral-boss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have mine over a 4ft 120 mixed reef about 15 inches high. Right now it maxes at 55%. Didn't think I was that far off for this light from what other users have been doing. might have to rethink my lighting schedule after this video now. I couldn't imagine running at 100% though. would take some serious long term acclimation i'd think. great video as always! thanks randy and brs

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two over my 180 SPS, each one is 8-9” from water. I found this gives the spread for 36” length without sacrificing PAR.

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what we found in testing over the 4ft tank, the PAR numbers should be able to easily support a mixed tank. Most likely though, you'd have to place SPS near the center under the light and midway or higher in the tank. I've seen some pretty interesting tanks with that type of center-mound style aquascape, not my personal cup of tea but pretty neat.

Ideally, if you do go full blown SPS, you'd probably want four Hydra-26s or XR15s to really spread out the PAR evenly and reduce shadowing and shading, however three of them could most likely get it done with loosely spread SPS colonies. I feel that two of either would leave you desiring more, specifically by way of even coverage.

Kessil A360s are also a solid option, with three working for a mixed tank or loose SPS tank. Again, four would probably be most ideal for full blown SPS. :)

-Randy

@randyBRS

Correct me if I am wrong but a single light over the 40” tank was not tested at ~7”? Only at like 14 or 15”?

If you had tested the Kessil AP700 over that tank mounted 7-9”, whatever gives best spread+PAR for a 36” length. I know for fact that you would have 250+!! at 18”. Probably 300!

Look here.
026713079c5660e663ac5cc0acadcc3d.jpg

If this tank went 6” more right and left you would see a flat spread over that area 250-300 @18” deep!! Maybe more.

Please please consider maybe doing a test to confirm/disprove my theory. Wouldn’t have to video the process, just post results. I think it’s an error to recommend the AP700 coverage of 24” per unit. I think 36”x24”x24” is ok for SPS as you will have a flat coverage of at least minimum SPS levels at bottom. Please give it a thought.

OP
OP
randyBRS

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@randyBRS
Correct me if I am wrong but a single light over the 40” tank was not tested at ~7”? Only at like 14 or 15”?
If you had tested the Kessil AP700 over that tank mounted 7-9”, whatever gives best spread+PAR for a 36” length. I know for fact that you would have 250+!! at 18”. Probably 300!
Look here.If this tank went 6” more right and left you would see a flat spread over that area 250-300 @18” deep!! Maybe more.
Please please consider maybe doing a test to confirm/disprove my theory. Wouldn’t have to video the process, just post results. I think it’s an error to recommend the AP700 coverage of 24” per unit. I think 36”x24”x24” is ok for SPS as you will have a flat coverage of at least minimum SPS levels at bottom. Please give it a thought.

Correct, we did not test a single light at 7", over the 4ft tank. Given the numbers on a 24" tank, I'd imagine you'd be pretty close to right about how they would perform on a 36" tank! :)

BWilliby

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@randyBRS @Ryanbrs

Ok, my turn for some advice. First of all, I love all your videos...very informative! And this one on the AP700 has me contemplating swapping out my LEDs so good strategy for helping reefers and maybe your bottom line at the same time. :) I currrently have Reefbreeders Photon V2, which has been a good light but I hate having to try ramp up and down 6 independent channels and worry about the right spectrum, etc. and I find myself constantly trying to tweak things which I know is not beneficial. I like the seemingly simplicity of the "Kessil logic" when it comes to spectrum and I think the shimmer looks amazing.

So question...I have a Marineland 265G so dimensions are 84" x 24" x 30" with two cross braces splitting the tank into thirds. Would I be better off with 2 ( or 3 if needed) AP700s or more A360s? It is a mixed tank pretty full of LPS on the bottom 1/3rd with a large Maxima clam and more and more SPS being added every day it seems on the top 2/3rds. I do also have 2 of the 2 bulb T5 retro kits that I got from BRS, so the LED's would be in addition to those and all are mounted in a canopy.

Thanks in advance for any guidance!

Ryanbrs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a deep tank like this the AP700 is probably a better option than the a360's. Good news is you can always try two and pick up the third if needed. That said, If getting it right is more important than getting it cheapest I'd go 3 ap700's and space them between the braces.

BWilliby

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a deep tank like this the AP700 is probably a better option than the a360's. Good news is you can always try two and pick up the third if needed. That said, If getting it right is more important than getting it cheapest I'd go 3 ap700's and space them between the braces.

Thanks @Ryanbrs...I definitely prefer to get it right!

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@randyBRS @Ryanbrs

Ok, my turn for some advice. First of all, I love all your videos...very informative! And this one on the AP700 has me contemplating swapping out my LEDs so good strategy for helping reefers and maybe your bottom line at the same time. :) I currrently have Reefbreeders Photon V2, which has been a good light but I hate having to try ramp up and down 6 independent channels and worry about the right spectrum, etc. and I find myself constantly trying to tweak things which I know is not beneficial. I like the seemingly simplicity of the "Kessil logic" when it comes to spectrum and I think the shimmer looks amazing.

So question...I have a Marineland 265G so dimensions are 84" x 24" x 30" with two cross braces splitting the tank into thirds. Would I be better off with 2 ( or 3 if needed) AP700s or more A360s? It is a mixed tank pretty full of LPS on the bottom 1/3rd with a large Maxima clam and more and more SPS being added every day it seems on the top 2/3rds. I do also have 2 of the 2 bulb T5 retro kits that I got from BRS, so the LED's would be in addition to those and all are mounted in a canopy.

Thanks in advance for any guidance!

I would also go with the 3 AP700s for the 265. You will be pleasantly surprised at how well 3 will get it done.

Ryanbrs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what it is worth on the 6 foot brs 160 we went from 2 to 3 at one point to get better coverage on the sides. Very solid solution, a single ap700 is brighter than two a36o's , has a wider spectrum, way lower profile and easier to mount.

That said, ultimately we swapped those out for five a360's because we need to make constant adjustments to the tank for filming and it is a lot easier to do with a knob than a phone app. The link between the ap700's can be finicky if you mess with it a lot or have constant power outages. Most people have neither so it isnt an issue.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back