Spots on blond naso

Aframereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi noticed some white spots on my blond naso. One each eye and on his pectoral fins. Both sides.
He was moved to this 400G tank in January. Other fish all see healthy. He seems healthy.
My concert is I have an order placed for a bunch of quartined fish that will be here in 3 weeks. He is the only Tang in the tank but several other types of tangs are on order.

20230429_094013.jpg

OP
OP
A

Aframereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok just noticed a spot on my pajama cardinal. It's a bit hard to see.
Don't know if they move. Really just noticed them today.

Attachments

• 20230429_155808.jpg
    20230429_155808.jpg
    222.7 KB · Views: 33

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi noticed some white spots on my blond naso. One each eye and on his pectoral fins. Both sides.
He was moved to this 400G tank in January. Other fish all see healthy. He seems healthy.
My concert is I have an order placed for a bunch of quartined fish that will be here in 3 weeks. He is the only Tang in the tank but several other types of tangs are on order.

20230429_094013.jpg
Naso has lymphocystis on fins and cardinal looks like a soot from a nick or similar injury. Lympho is a condition and not disease. Often its associated with water quality issue as simple as elevated ammonia or nitrate. Assure to provide Good water quality monitored by a reliable test kit and feed food with fats such as:
LRS Herbivore diet
Formula 2 flake and frozen
TDO Pellets
small plankton
Hikari Marine cuisine
Ocean nutrition veggie diet
spirulina brine shrimp
mysis shrimp
Prime reef
Nori seaweed basted with garlic extract

Add selcon vitamins to foods occasionally

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1, looks like Lymphocystis on the naso and a minor injury on the cardinal. These will heal on their own. However, watch the fish closely for other symptoms, you never know when something might crop up!

Jay

OP
OP
A

Aframereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks I feed the fish frozen Piscin freshwater mysis. And some flake from Piscin. Tang gets 1/2 sheet nori every day.
These have been my foods of choice for 15 years or more. Tang is the only Tang in the tank right now. He does chase his reflection a lot.

My tangs have alway been fat and healthy in the past.

I know very little about fish diseases because I simply have had healthy tanks over the years and have not dealt with fish diseases. My clown fish is over 20 years old.

Refractometer S.G. was just calibration and is tank is 1.025. A tad bit higher than my normal 1.024.
CA reactor had issues a week ago and bumped my CA to 470 and it has been slow going trying to get it down.
Did a 50G water change yesterday to help bring down the CA.

No3 is 1ppm down from 2.5 early this month.

I do not test for ammonia as typically only needed on new tank.

I did loose a diamond goby a week or so ago. He was happy swimming one day then gone the next. No signs of him. Possible that cause an ammonia spike.
I monitor the tank ORP to look for any sudden drop and have not seen any.

I have 6 other tangs on order with a few other fish with a pick up date of May 19.
This was going to be the bulk order to stock this tank.

Thanks for the info. I will keep a close eye on them and look into some of the food additives.

OP
OP
A

Aframereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered some selcon, by the time it came in the spots on the fins had started to clear up. I went ahead and added it to the food for a week. The fins look good but he still has a spot in the center of each eye. Will that fade away over time?

All other fish look good, now have 7 new fish that are doing good.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered some selcon, by the time it came in the spots on the fins had started to clear up. I went ahead and added it to the food for a week. The fins look good but he still has a spot in the center of each eye. Will that fade away over time?

All other fish look good, now have 7 new fish that are doing good.

The eye issue may be something else - if it is cataracts, they will be permanent.

jay

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 43.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 22.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back