Spots on eye

ChrisQ0904

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a newly acquired possum wrasse in my QT system that I'm currently treating for ich. Today I noticed some white spots only on the eyes. Is this ich or something else?

37141ac51184c16fa08c4e9441f73840.jpg

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like it's bulging out i.e. Popeye. Is this a correct observation?

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely looks like a cloudy or popping eye. Is is lethargic, breathing rapidly or difficulty breathing? What are you treating with?

OP
OP
ChrisQ0904

ChrisQ0904

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Seemed like it was bulging a little to me. I have a mystery wrasse that was bothering it as well but seemed to have stopped. I'm currently treating with CP for ich.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not treat ever with copper or any equivalent. So, I cannot help there. However, if it is bulging, you may be looking at a secondary bacteria infection. I would suggest a round of gram negative antibiotics. Dr. Fish should be able to give you specifics. I need my book to look up the exact dosing and generic names for this infection. I do not have access to it right now. Off top of my head look for erythromycin, possibly an aminoglycosides, a triple sulfa can work too.

OP
OP
ChrisQ0904

ChrisQ0904

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I do not treat ever with copper or any equivalent. So, I cannot help there. However, if it is bulging, you may be looking at a secondary bacteria infection. I would suggest a round of gram negative antibiotics. Dr. Fish should be able to give you specifics. I need my book to look up the exact dosing and generic names for this infection. I do not have access to it right now. Off top of my head look for erythromycin, possibly an aminoglycosides, a triple sulfa can work too.
I'm not treating with copper what I meant by CP is chloroquine phosphate.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

^^All good advice. Erythromycin is the treatment of choice for eye infections; adding minocycline/tetracycline to this is a good idea for a wider spectrum of treatment. If you can't find those, you can also use kanamycin aka Kanaplex and/or Furan-2.

miyags

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need more white light in the picture. It dose look like it has popeye, but if you can see spots on the eye it could have flukes. But we really need a clearer Pic.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need more white light in the picture. It dose look like it has popeye, but if you can see spots on the eye it could have flukes. But we really need a clearer Pic.

Freshwater dip would confirm/rule out flukes. See below.

Freshwater Dip: Provides temporary relief for Brooklynella, Flukes, Marine Velvet disease (Amyloodinium); possibly even Ich & Uronema marinum (both unproven). Can be used to confirm the presence of Flukes.

How To Treat - Fill a bucket with RODI water, and use a heater to match the temperature to the water the fish is coming from. Aerate the water heavily for at least 30 minutes prior to doing the dip, then discontinue aeration while performing the dip. Fish aren’t overly pH sensitive for short durations like this, but you can squirt a little tank water into the dip just before the fish goes in to help bring it up.

Place the fish in the freshwater (FW) dip and observe closely. It is not unusual for them to freak out a little at first. Also, tangs are notorious for “playing dead” during a FW dip. The important thing is to watch their gills; they should be breathing heavily at all times during the dip. If breathing slows, it’s time to exit the dip. Dip the fish for no longer than 5 minutes. Multiple dips may be done, but it’s important to give your fish a day to recuperate in-between dips.

For flukes, use a dark (preferably black) bucket so you can see if tiny white worms fall out of the fish (especially out of the gills) at around the 3-4 minute mark. The worms will settle to the bottom, so you can use a flashlight to look for them there as well.

Pros - Provides temporary relief for a wide range of diseases in a chemical free environment. Can “buy you more time” until a proper treatment can be done.

Cons/Side Effects - Not a permanent “fix” for any disease, as FW dips are not potent enough to eradicate all of the parasites/worms afflicting the fish. Some fish can have an adverse reaction to a FW dip by appearing unable to maintain their equilibrium once returned to the aquarium. If this happens, hold the fish upright (using latex, nitrile or rubber gloves), and gently glide him through the water (to get saltwater flowing through the gills again). It is also a good idea to place the fish in an acclimation box until he appears “normal”.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would give the fish a FW dip to be sure those are not flukes in his eyes.

OP
OP
ChrisQ0904

ChrisQ0904

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'll try the FW dip now. I'll report back once I finished it. Also, I'm assuming it's perfectly safe to put the fish right back into water with sg of 1.026?

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the dip. You could even add some formalin to the dip, but do not forget to add air too. The spots on the eyes do look suspicious. I was not sure what CP was and figured it was copper. Oops. I do not know many hobbyists that can even get that stuff. I get mine if needed from our public aquarium.

OP
OP
ChrisQ0904

ChrisQ0904

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I agree with the dip. You could even add some formalin to the dip, but do not forget to add air too. The spots on the eyes do look suspicious. I was not sure what CP was and figured it was copper. Oops. I do not know many hobbyists that can even get that stuff. I get mine if needed from our public aquarium.
I'm using it in the form of the "ick shield powder". I just finished setting up the RO and have 20min to go of running an air pump in the water. I've never done this so kinda nervous.

OP
OP
ChrisQ0904

ChrisQ0904

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just finished the FW dip and the spots are still there and I see what could possibly be a fluke in the bucket (going off of google images) but it's pretty small. I have some API general cure, should I go ahead and dose that? Is it safe to use with CP?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just finished the FW dip and the spots are still there and I see what could possibly be a fluke in the bucket (going off of google images) but it's pretty small. I have some API general cure, should I go ahead and dose that? Is it safe to use with CP?

You should see more than one white speck if this fish has flukes. But API General Cure is perfectly safe to mix with CP and will treat both flukes & internal parasites. You can also mix just about any antibiotic with CP, and you will need to do that to deal with the eye infection. Just never mix Prazipro or any other liquid medication with CP.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using it in the form of the "ick shield powder". I just finished setting up the RO and have 20min to go of running an air pump in the water. I've never done this so kinda nervous.

NLS Ick Shield Powder is CP sourced from China (confirmed at MACNA), so results may vary according to purity. CP sourced from China is not as consistent (i.e. 99% pure) as CP sourced from US & Canadian pharmacies; IMHO.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.9%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 17 18.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 24.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back