Spots on hippo tang after 4 weeks of treatment

Underwater Passion

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

So I am a little frustrated because I can’t figure out what’s on my hippo tang. A little over 4 weeks ago I placed all fish in a hospital tank and treated for what I suspected to be velvet. After 4 weeks of cupramine treatment maintained between 0.45 and 0.55 I am still seeing these spots on her. I have also fresh water dipped with RO/di water once a week for that period of time. All other fish no longer show any spots or symptoms.

Hippo is still eating well and doesn’t seem to be scratching. I did read that they can have reactions to copper so I did add cuprisorb 2 days ago to remove copper but these bumps got worst. Please help.

Can this still be ick/velvet after 4 weeks? Flukes?

CC5A2026-D755-4185-893B-9F1602DC1B35.jpeg
6BE7F52E-5C4A-432A-B68D-749473BE5EAC.jpeg

OP
OP
Underwater Passion

Underwater Passion

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might be HLLE, a reaction to the copper treatment that suppressed the immune system.

Good water and good diet with nori can fix it.

Thanks @Zionas! I’m hoping that’s all it is. I was thinking that’s what it was but the spots still seem to have white on them so I was concerned it was still ich or velvet. I have 2 more months of fallow so I will be sure to keep pristine water quality, keep an eye on it, and treat again if necessary.

Anyway of telling if it’s ich vs HLLE?

bevo5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I like to use a flashlight to shine on the fish about 2-3min into the dip. Easier to see the little buggers popping off. Get the fish to swim some and they’ll fly off.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Not HLLE. It is both a viral and bacterial form of disease associated with Lymphocystis. Furan 2 will likely be your treatment in a QT tank along with good diet.
Diet:
Nori seaweed basted eith Garlic.
Mysis shrimp
Spirulina brine shrimp
LRS Herbivore diet
Formula 2 flake and frozen

Add selcon vitamin and garlic to foods 2-3X per week

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ouch. Didn’t see the dots on the Tang’s body! I thought it was HLLE because I only looked at the head. Indeed, there does seem to be some kind of Lymph. Good water and good food should make it go away as suggested by the experts.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a gram positive bacterial infection that seems to follow treatment with copper that we've been seeing lately on Hippos.
Boosting the fish's immune system with high quality foods + vitamins (highly recommend Beta Glucan), pristine water quality will go a long way towards the fish clearing this condition.

More info from Humblefish: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/rescue-hippo-tang-with-spots.695787/#post-7158623

More info on Beta Glucan: https://reefs.com/magazine/beta-glucan-as-an-immune-stimulant-in-marine-aquaria/

bevo5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Not HLLE. It is both a viral and bacterial form of disease associated with Lymphocystis. Furan 2 will likely be your treatment in a QT tank along with good diet.
Diet:
Mysis shrimp
Spirulina brine shrimp
LRS Herbivore diet

AND this is why you should look at the source before following anybody's opinion. @Underwater Passion - follow these folks' suggestions. I'm by no means anywhere close to an expert!

OP
OP
Underwater Passion

Underwater Passion

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a gram positive bacterial infection that seems to follow treatment with copper that we've been seeing lately on Hippos.
Boosting the fish's immune system with high quality foods + vitamins (highly recommend Beta Glucan), pristine water quality will go a long way towards the fish clearing this condition.

More info from Humblefish: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/rescue-hippo-tang-with-spots.695787/#post-7158623

More info on Beta Glucan: https://reefs.com/magazine/beta-glucan-as-an-immune-stimulant-in-marine-aquaria/

I will treat with metroplex and Kanaplex. And I already feed frozen food soaked in selcon and garlic along with nori,flakes and pellets. So far she is eating well but I will start antibiotics to take care of the infection.

thank you!

OP
OP
Underwater Passion

Underwater Passion

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Diet:
Mysis shrimp
Spirulina brine shrimp
LRS Herbivore diet

I already do most of this and add selcon every day. I do use omega one flake, does formula 2 have any different properties that are more beneficial?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I already do most of this and add selcon every day. I do use omega one flake, does formula 2 have any different properties that are more beneficial?
Formula 2 high in vegetation requirements

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will treat with metroplex and Kanaplex. And I already feed frozen food soaked in selcon and garlic along with nori,flakes and pellets. So far she is eating well but I will start antibiotics to take care of the infection.

thank you!
Humblefish doesn't think treating with antibiotics helps with this particular gram positive infection. Might want to try adding Beta Glucan to the food mix.

NashobaTek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @Zionas! I’m hoping that’s all it is. I was thinking that’s what it was but the spots still seem to have white on them so I was concerned it was still ich or velvet. I have 2 more months of fallow so I will be sure to keep pristine water quality, keep an eye on it, and treat again if necessary.

Anyway of telling if it’s ich vs HLLE?
Hlle looks like pits and it will follow the lateral line down the body.

OP
OP
Underwater Passion

Underwater Passion

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you everyone for all your help! I removed the copper and fresh water dipped and the bumps seem to have disapppeared. Going to keep her in observation for a couple of weeks before placing back in the DT. I appreciate everyone’s input and advice!

OP
OP
Underwater Passion

Underwater Passion

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This was very helpful. Thank you so much!

OP
OP
Underwater Passion

Underwater Passion

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How's the fish doing today?

She is eating well and very active. She still has the bumps but isn’t itching or bothered by them. All copper has since been removed. No other fish have been affected. So I’m just feeding a well balanced diet with garlic and selcon. Going to add in beta glucan this week since she is still getting new bumps every so often.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 117 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back