Spots on hippo tang after 4 weeks of treatment

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She is eating well and very active. She still has the bumps but isn’t itching or bothered by them. All copper has since been removed. No other fish have been affected. So I’m just feeding a well balanced diet with garlic and selcon. Going to add in beta glucan this week since she is still getting new bumps every so often.
I add Beta Glucan to my fish's food mix every other week alternating it with Selcon or Zoecon on the other week. Seems there is some benefit to not constantly adding BG. So I alternate it with other vitamins.

OP
OP
Underwater Passion

Underwater Passion

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish I could really use your help here. I am getting to the end of my rope with dealing with this. @Big G showed me your post about dealing with gram positive bacteria and that was very helpful. However I’m still dealing with many spots developing all over my hippo tang. Yesterday I freshwater dipped her thinking it may be flukes, but I did not see any flukes falling off of her. The spots did not seem to get any better either after the freshwater dip. Today she now has them everywhere and they very much look like velvet. She is not scratching or seems bothered by it and she’s eating well. No other fish has any symptoms or problems that are in quarantine with her.

I’m supposed to be away for 4 days starting tomorrow and I’m worried about leaving her. Is this still velvet, do I need to treat with copper again? Or is this a reaction to copper? Please help.

most of the spots are on her upper body near dorsal fin and numerous others all over body. She doesn’t sit still so it was hard to get better pictures so I apologize.

FFCF4C56-6CAB-4E50-94C3-BA0B7D037E67.jpeg
E9BCA6A1-3C51-4C91-A170-91F246268297.jpeg
71D47EA9-008C-44BD-90A4-01FC0B5A247F.jpeg

Last edited:

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Underwater Passion In this instance it is possible that you are still dealing with velvet or possibly even brook. However, the only way to verify is to take a skin scrape of one of the affected areas and look for parasites under a microscope. I will copy & paste some links below to assist you with doing this.

If taking a scrape is not feasible, I recommend having your tank sitter dose Seachem Metroplex every 48 hours until you get back. This will proactively treat Brook and also kill Velvet free swimmers in the water for a short duration. So, that strategy will protect against your two worst fears.

Last edited by a moderator:

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope you can save your baby..

My best guess, it’s ICH. Start treating accordingly With Copper power rather than Cupramine. But you gotta get it up to a therapeutic level which is tough to do with those tangs.... I’m no expert so take my advise with a grain of salt.

Last edited by a moderator:

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No other fish has any symptoms or problems that are in quarantine with her.
This observation would tend to support the gram positive bacterial infection. Fish can be very slow to respond to our efforts to help them.

Ks4726

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm bringing up an old post, but I have the same exact situation with my hippo tang and this post explains alot. I started with the metro/kana. Unless I read wrong kana and metro are mostly for gram negative. Is there a medicine that's is more effective for gram positive? Sufaplex for example.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 37 52.1%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 37 52.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 15 21.1%
  • None.

Votes: 18 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.5%
Back