Spots on Kole Tangs fins

gkMiami

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a new tank that is going through the second stage of the cycle. Currently in the diatom stage. I perform weekly 15% water changes. I have a 2 clowns, a yellow tang, kole tang and a 6 line in a Waterbox 130.4.

I have not added any few fish for about 3-4 weeks. The ones that are in there were added after the first cycle was done and I had no sign of ammonia or nitrites. They were added over 3-4 weeks. All fish came for a LFS with a QT 14 day protocol for their customers. [I'm setting my own QT for all new fish]

This morning I noticed a few white spots on the Kole tang. Otherwise he is behaving normally, eating swimming, etc. The other fish are fine and flawless. The Kole tag sleeps on the sand under a rock. Not sure if this is something that just got stuck to his fins or something more serious. What's the recommended protocol here, e.g. - a) watch him with no additional action, b) remove him and put him into QT, c) remove the invertebrates (a few hermits and trochus snails] and treat the whole tank?

Thanks.

1618146872666.png

1618146844530.png

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you get closer pictures taken under white light? It looks like ich, but tough to see clearly.
Jay

OP
OP
G

gkMiami

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this guy is constantly on the move. I tried a few more. unfortunately, with white light they hide.

Do I just watch this for now and see if it spreads? He only has it on his front fin. There is no change in his behavior. He is not rubbing against rock or hiding. Just running around looking for food.

1618159319436.png

1618159336762.png

1618159376855.png

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, getting good photos is tough, almost as tough as diagnosing diseases from them (grin).
I see some cloudiness to the fins, but no distinct white “grain of salt” type spots that are definitive for ich.
There really are no good whole tank ich treatments, so I would just watch it for now. With early ich, the spots will drop off and then return in different numbers and in different locations day after day until there are spots all of the time, and then is when you need to treat, but that is going to involve a quarantine tank for all of the fish, so fingers crossed it isn’t ich.
Jay

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 45 86.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.8%
Back