OP
E

Eviltuna

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With these clearer photos, I can see even better that whatever this is, it is under the fish's skin. Whether it be cysted worms, bacteria nodules, or even viral, dips and praziquantel will not help - they just cannot get through the skin to whatever this is.

Are the number and locations of these spots changing or increasing?

Jay
It is hard to tell. The spots basically showed up overnight and have basically stayed in the same places on the fish. It is possible that they have increased slightly but not by much.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess as long as the number of spots isn't greatly increasing, then it isn't an acute infection. If it were my fish, I have a microscope and would do a skin scrape of one of the lesions/pustules and try to figure out what they are.

Jay

OP
OP
E

Eviltuna

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess as long as the number of spots isn't greatly increasing, then it isn't an acute infection. If it were my fish, I have a microscope and would do a skin scrape of one of the lesions/pustules and try to figure out what they are.

Jay
Unfortunately, I don't have the means or knowhow to do that. Is it possible some sort of medicated food could help? He is currently in a 32 Gallon Bio-Cube quarantine tank.

OP
OP
E

Eviltuna

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE: Tang has been in QT and on the 8th day of Prazipro. No real change in the actual spots and it is still eating well. However, there seems to be some changes in the overall coloration/skin tone....here is a pic and short video.
fB0ymYYSSzKTLzteUx4QjQ.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE: Tang has been in QT and on the 8th day of Prazipro. No real change in the actual spots and it is still eating well. However, there seems to be some changes in the overall coloration/skin tone....here is a pic and short video.
fB0ymYYSSzKTLzteUx4QjQ.jpg

The one spot has a pale blanched area around it, I can’t see the other ones. That is often a reaction to bacteria. Maybe these were cysted parasites and they died from the dips/prazi and now they are being broken down by bacteria?
I’m just guessing here….
Jay

OP
OP
E

Eviltuna

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The one spot has a pale blanched area around it, I can’t see the other ones. That is often a reaction to bacteria. Maybe these were cysted parasites and they died from the dips/prazi and now they are being broken down by bacteria?
I’m just guessing here….
Jay
Is there anything I can do if it's bacteria or should I just let it run its course?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there anything I can do if it's bacteria or should I just let it run its course?

I couldn't view the video until I got home to my desktop computer just now -

The blanched areas are much more prevalent on its right side. The tang is also breathing a deep deeply.

Is the water quality all testing good?
What other fish are in with it, anything?

If the water tests good, and the fish is by itself, I do think you should treat with a broad spectrum, gram negative antibiotic. Avoid any of the "tonics", you need a true antibiotic. Neoplex is one good choice. Your LFS might have other ones in stock, nitrofurazone green for example.

Jay

OP
OP
E

Eviltuna

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I couldn't view the video until I got home to my desktop computer just now -

The blanched areas are much more prevalent on its right side. The tang is also breathing a deep deeply.

Is the water quality all testing good?
What other fish are in with it, anything?

If the water tests good, and the fish is by itself, I do think you should treat with a broad spectrum, gram negative antibiotic. Avoid any of the "tonics", you need a true antibiotic. Neoplex is one good choice. Your LFS might have other ones in stock, nitrofurazone green for example.

Jay
Thank you - Neoplex should be here today.

Tang is in 32 gal biocube and is alone. Ammonia test came back at .4 -- I thought the water quality would be okay as the QT has been established for some time. Unfortunately, it has been fallow for several months and apparently can't handle the bio-load of the tang.

I've accomplished a 50% water change and will start monitoring it closer.

I also realized I was not thinking clearly when I put him in QT...I changed the biocube filter which has carbon...not sure how effective the Prazipro would have been...I assume I should take the filter out when treating with Neoplex.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you - Neoplex should be here today.

Tang is in 32 gal biocube and is alone. Ammonia test came back at .4 -- I thought the water quality would be okay as the QT has been established for some time. Unfortunately, it has been fallow for several months and apparently can't handle the bio-load of the tang.

I've accomplished a 50% water change and will start monitoring it closer.

I also realized I was not thinking clearly when I put him in QT...I changed the biocube filter which has carbon...not sure how effective the Prazipro would have been...I assume I should take the filter out when treating with Neoplex.

Yes - don't run carbon with medications, it isn't always clear which medications a particular type of carbon will remove. Work at keeping the ammonia level below 0.25, what test kit are you using?

Jay

OP
OP
E

Eviltuna

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes - don't run carbon with medications, it isn't always clear which medications a particular type of carbon will remove. Work at keeping the ammonia level below 0.25, what test kit are you using?

Jay
Test kit is Red Sea Marine Care. Should I do another dose of prazipro (have only done one and it was 9 days ago)...if so, can I treat prazipro and neoplex at the same time?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Test kit is Red Sea Marine Care. Should I do another dose of prazipro (have only done one and it was 9 days ago)...if so, can I treat prazipro and neoplex at the same time?
Yes - you can dose both at about the same time (just not on the same day), but you need extra aeration (not just circulating pumps) and keep the ammonia well under control.

Since you've dosed once with Prazi, I think you should dose with Neoplex, and then, 48 hours later, dose the prazi.

Jay

OP
OP
E

Eviltuna

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes - you can dose both at about the same time (just not on the same day), but you need extra aeration (not just circulating pumps) and keep the ammonia well under control.

Since you've dosed once with Prazi, I think you should dose with Neoplex, and then, 48 hours later, dose the prazi.

Jay
Perfect - thank you sir. I am running an aerator.

OP
OP
E

Eviltuna

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perfect - thank you sir. I am running an aerator.
Update:
This is day 8 of Neoplex and day 6 of Praziro.
The spots are still present but they used to be visible bumps and now they appear to be nearly flat. Other than the dark spots, the tang seems to be healthy.
The questions are: Is it getting better and should I do another dose of Neoplex and Prazipro? Here are a couple of pics and short video...hard to get anything good as he is always moving around...

Hpkvu0pcSJK04dqcx801Vg.jpg
bYxMONjYQPWaJqk1Tzvmsg.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:
This is day 8 of Neoplex and day 6 of Praziro.
The spots are still present but they used to be visible bumps and now they appear to be nearly flat. Other than the dark spots, the tang seems to be healthy.
The questions are: Is it getting better and should I do another dose of Neoplex and Prazipro? Here are a couple of pics and short video...hard to get anything good as he is always moving around...

Hpkvu0pcSJK04dqcx801Vg.jpg
bYxMONjYQPWaJqk1Tzvmsg.jpg

The fish looks marginally better to me - at least not any worse. The issue may also be encysted trematodes or nematodes. The breathing seems slower to me, does it seem that way to you?

Jay

OP
OP
E

Eviltuna

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fish looks marginally better to me - at least not any worse. The issue may also be encysted trematodes or nematodes. The breathing seems slower to me, does it seem that way to you?

Jay
Yes - breathing is better but the tank finished a mini-cycle...ammonia is down to zero and has been that way for at least 3/4 days. Overall, I think the tang looks much better but I wonder about the discoloration on its back half. That discoloration started on day two of the first Prazipro treatment (prior to Neoplex). Do you think I should continue with further treatment or just do a significant water change and monitor for a while?

OP
OP
E

Eviltuna

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bump
Yes - breathing is better but the tank finished a mini-cycle...ammonia is down to zero and has been that way for at least 3/4 days. Overall, I think the tang looks much better but I wonder about the discoloration on its back half. That discoloration started on day two of the first Prazipro treatment (prior to Neoplex). Do you think I should continue with further treatment or just do a significant water change and monitor for a while?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sorry - I didn't see a notification from your post, not sure why.....

The distinct line like that shows it is a reaction from the fish itself, not a parasite. Sometimes, fish develop this issue due to stress (from disease) but the disease itself causes a more random pattern (the spots for example). I've seen this half tone coloration issue, mostly in cichlids. It by itself doesn't seem to be a treatable issue.

I would continue the second prazi treatment.....

Jay

OP
OP
E

Eviltuna

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry - I didn't see a notification from your post, not sure why.....

The distinct line like that shows it is a reaction from the fish itself, not a parasite. Sometimes, fish develop this issue due to stress (from disease) but the disease itself causes a more random pattern (the spots for example). I've seen this half tone coloration issue, mostly in cichlids. It by itself doesn't seem to be a treatable issue.

I would continue the second prazi treatment.....

Jay
Thank you Jay. Will plan to do a water change and start another round of Prazi.

OP
OP
E

Eviltuna

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you Jay. Will plan to do a water change and start another round of Prazi.
Okay, Update time: I'm on day 6 of my 3rd Prazipro treatment although the first treatment may not have been very effective since I forgot I had some carbon in the biocube filter. The dark bumps/spots have mostly faded and certainly are not raised anymore. Should I keep the tang in QT for longer to monitor, return it to the DT, or more treatment?

So treatments thus far:
Prazipo for 8 days (possible carbon impact to effectiveness)
Neoplex and Parzipro (Parzi 48 hours after Neoplex) for 8 days after Neoplex start
Prazipro for 6 days

GNGFK572QK6wY45cVt7B6Q.jpg
4IF+jXZ3TqKzOLAp+4NTbw.jpg

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 46 34.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 44 32.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back