Spots on Lavender Tang

Eviltuna

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please help. I've had this tang for 3 1/2 months. It was initially quarantined for 3 weeks with no noted issues. It has been very heathy until 2 days ago, when I noticed the dark spots/bumps. He has started hanging out in one area of the tank and is just now starting to rub on the sand a little bit.
He is a voracious eater and regularly grazes the rocks in between feedings. Other tankmates are two Blue Damsels and one Maroon Clown with largish Bubbletip Anemone; the tang gets along fine with all of them.

Food:
Seaweed Extreme Pellets
Green Marine Algae Sheets
Julian Springs Purple Seaweed
LRS Reef Frenzy

Note: The picture looks like there are some white specs but I think that is something in the water column as I just checked and I don't see any white specs.

fullsizeoutput_11ae.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
One of my favorite tangs. Hulu quarantined 3 weeks- did you medicate and if do with what? This looks like mucus spores and associated with previous medicating or infection. The thing to do would be as much as I hate to suggest, re-quarantine and place in with either coppersafe or copper power for a full 30 days at therapeutic level 2.25-2.5 and verify levels with a reliable copper test kit such as Hanna brand. Also monitor ammonia levels to prevent further stress and maintain oxygen levels
Adding an air stone will be helpful

OP
OP
E

Eviltuna

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my favorite tangs. Hulu quarantined 3 weeks- did you medicate and if do with what? This looks like mucus spores and associated with previous medicating or infection. The thing to do would be as much as I hate to suggest, re-quarantine and place in with either coppersafe or copper power for a full 30 days at therapeutic level 2.25-2.5 and verify levels with a reliable copper test kit such as Hanna brand. Also monitor ammonia levels to prevent further stress and maintain oxygen levels
Adding an air stone will be helpful
Thank you for the quick response. I did not medicate while I had it in quarantine. However, the LFS I bought it from does medicate all fish with copper and maybe something else. It had been at LFS for 2 weeks.

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just because a LFS has copper doesn't mean you won't have a problem. My LFS does it at a low dosage. I just brought home two new clowns and the owner tried to talk me out of quarantine regimen. No way. I have lost quite a few fish now to ich, velvet, brook and uronema. You might as well assume that they have a 90% chance of coming home with a bug.

I suggest you post another couple of photos in white light for Jay to take a look at. He is the resident marine biologist. It does look like ich though to me.

OP
OP
E

Eviltuna

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just because a LFS has copper doesn't mean you won't have a problem. My LFS does it at a low dosage. I just brought home two new clowns and the owner tried to talk me out of quarantine regimen. No way. I have lost quite a few fish now to ich, velvet, brook and uronema. You might as well assume that they have a 90% chance of coming home with a bug.

Totally agree which is why I quarantined initially. He has been in my display for nearly 3 months without any issue until two days ago.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the quick response. I did not medicate while I had it in quarantine. However, the LFS I bought it from does medicate all fish with copper and maybe something else. It had been at LFS for 2 weeks.

They may not have quarantined the fish for flukes (copper won't help with that). You might consider trying Prazipro. With good aeration, it is reef safe.

How long has the fish had these?
Did they start small and grow larger?
Do they look fluid filled, like blisters?

Jay

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please help. I've had this tang for 3 1/2 months. It was initially quarantined for 3 weeks with no noted issues. It has been very heathy until 2 days ago, when I noticed the dark spots/bumps. He has started hanging out in one area of the tank and is just now starting to rub on the sand a little bit.
He is a voracious eater and regularly grazes the rocks in between feedings. Other tankmates are two Blue Damsels and one Maroon Clown with largish Bubbletip Anemone; the tang gets along fine with all of them.

Food:
Seaweed Extreme Pellets
Green Marine Algae Sheets
Julian Springs Purple Seaweed
LRS Reef Frenzy

Note: The picture looks like there are some white specs but I think that is something in the water column as I just checked and I don't see any white specs.

fullsizeoutput_11ae.jpeg
Maybe sand, maybe ick, both fall off.
Just keep a close eye for reappearance.
I don’t know what the dark bumps are.
Good luck.

OP
OP
E

Eviltuna

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They may not have quarantined the fish for flukes (copper won't help with that). You might consider trying Prazipro. With good aeration, it is reef safe.

How long has the fish had these?
Did they start small and grow larger?
Do they look fluid filled, like blisters?

Jay
Thanks Jay. I was wondering if it could be flukes. I noticed them 2 days ago but can't really say they started small. I also can't really tell if they look like they are filled with fluid, but they are definitely raised. What is weird is the ones on the body are the same color s the fish but the ones on the tail are more of a blue/gray -- basically the same color as the body of the fish. I'll try to grab a pic of the other side...

fullsizeoutput_11af.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Jay. I was wondering if it could be flukes. I noticed them 2 days ago but can't really say they started small. I also can't really tell if they look like they are filled with fluid, but they are definitely raised. What is weird is the ones on the body are the same color s the fish but the ones on the tail are more of a blue/gray -- basically the same color as the body of the fish. I'll try to grab a pic of the other side...

fullsizeoutput_11af.jpeg

Most monogenean flukes are external, and whatever this is seems to be under the skin (that's why they are the same color as the skin). They could be digenean cysts.

You could try Prazipro, but that often is not effective against cysts. One good thing about digeneans is that they have complicated life cycles so they don't increase in huge numbers in aquariums.

Jay

OP
OP
E

Eviltuna

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most monogenean flukes are external, and whatever this is seems to be under the skin (that's why they are the same color as the skin). They could be digenean cysts.

You could try Prazipro, but that often is not effective against cysts. One good thing about digeneans is that they have complicated life cycles so they don't increase in huge numbers in aquariums.

Jay
Would you recommend i set up my quarantine or just treat in the display? I have a Nem and thought Prazipro might make it angry.

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Eviltuna I suggest you try Hydroplex and do a 10 minute saltwater dip. It is low stress and supposed to kill parasites under the skin. I have had success with using it on my fish. You will still need to use other medication I would think. Prazipro will irritate some corals if you use it too long in your DT.

See the Hydroplex description on BRS's website:

OP
OP
E

Eviltuna

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Eviltuna I suggest you try Hydroplex and do a 10 minute saltwater dip. It is low stress and supposed to kill parasites under the skin. I have had success with using it on my fish. You will still need to use other medication I would think. Prazipro will irritate some corals if you use it too long in your DT.

See the Hydroplex description on BRS's website:
Thank you - sounds like I can't go too wrong by trying the Hydroplex dip followed by Prazipro treatment for the display.

My next issue is....how do I catch this guy? He's so fast and skittish!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you recommend i set up my quarantine or just treat in the display? I have a Nem and thought Prazipro might make it angry.
With good aeration and an accurate dose (you need to dose the actual water volume of the tank) you can safely dose your display tank.
Jay

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Eviltuna
I use tulle netting that I bought at JoAnne fabric store. It comes in all different colors. It's $1.99/foot and just got more at 40% off. I section off areas/rocks at a time and leave a space for the fish to come out if he is in his hidey hole. Works like a charm. :)

DanTheReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Totally agree which is why I quarantined initially. He has been in my display for nearly 3 months without any issue until two days ago.
I really hate the LFS copper. Non-therapeutic dosage, increases disease copper tolerance, masks symptoms, nobody tracking how long fish is in it. IMO an ugly practice, albeit well-intentioned

OP
OP
E

Eviltuna

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Eviltuna
I use tulle netting that I bought at JoAnne fabric store. It comes in all different colors. It's $1.99/foot and just got more at 40% off. I section off areas/rocks at a time and leave a space for the fish to come out if he is in his hidey hole. Works like a charm. :)
Perfect - thanks!

OP
OP
E

Eviltuna

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally caught the tang with a fish trap. I did a 10 minute dip in Hydroplex and am now going to move him to a quarantine tank. I have some better pics now and am wondering if anyone can definitely ID the disease and if Prazipro is still the right treatment.

YCxiflvwSvOQ2rT51Auq+w.jpg
RCq0lhi+RlCdMZ51SE9vqA.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally caught the tang with a fish trap. I did a 10 minute dip in Hydroplex and am now going to move him to a quarantine tank. I have some better pics now and am wondering if anyone can definitely ID the disease and if Prazipro is still the right treatment.

YCxiflvwSvOQ2rT51Auq+w.jpg
RCq0lhi+RlCdMZ51SE9vqA.jpg

With these clearer photos, I can see even better that whatever this is, it is under the fish's skin. Whether it be cysted worms, bacteria nodules, or even viral, dips and praziquantel will not help - they just cannot get through the skin to whatever this is.

Are the number and locations of these spots changing or increasing?

Jay

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 48.1%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 41 51.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 16 20.3%
  • None.

Votes: 21 26.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.1%
Back