Spots on my foxface

geaux1970

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone.. total noob here.. I just noticed spots on my foxface.. any ideas? And I don't have a quarantine tank.. ty for the help!
94323364377961bbd7c2f73cd6fe032d.jpg

Joshua Hurst

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
could be the start of ich. I had a fox face and he got those dots once. He died about 5 months later

OP
OP
G

geaux1970

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
could be the start of ich. I had a fox face and he got those dots once. He died about 5 months later
Well I bought some medicine to help and he died within 24 hours of treating him.. idk.. easy come easy go I guess..

juicedreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is your tank? What are your paramaters?? Foxface are very easily stressed fish

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did those spots ever develop white or black "heads" on them? If not, it almost looks like something stung him. Like a frogspawn coral or possibly an anemone. Something with round tentacles.

Sweeper hits from stinging LPS are also possible. What kind of corals did he sleep near?

OP
OP
G

geaux1970

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no corals .. they looked green like algae. He seemed fine ... until I medicated the tank and it was like it stressed him out bad.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no corals .. they looked green like algae. He seemed fine ... until I medicated the tank and it was like it stressed him out bad.

What medication did you use?

Kershaw

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a Foxface and a rabbit fish that had developed similer spots. They lasted a few weeks then went away. Fox face died about 4 months later unexpectedly. And then rabbit fish about 2 months after Foxface. To this day I do no know what caused. The spots on mine where kinda grayish but I am color blind so that might have been a factor. This was some time ago. Also it is never a good idea to mediate in tank. Other then maybe prazi if your desperate.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Kershaw Did you keep the rabbitfish and foxface together? Members of Siganus genus often fight if housed together.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The light color is strange to me, indication of immense stress or perhaps gill damage as seen with velvet although those spots are not velvet

OP
OP
G

geaux1970

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a Foxface and a rabbit fish that had developed similer spots. They lasted a few weeks then went away. Fox face died about 4 months later unexpectedly. And then rabbit fish about 2 months after Foxface. To this day I do no know what caused. The spots on mine where kinda grayish but I am color blind so that might have been a factor. This was some time ago. Also it is never a good idea to mediate in tank. Other then maybe prazi if your desperate.
Well being new to all this is was going with the advice of a local aquarium.. thinking that was best. Ty for the help!
What medication did you use?

Kershaw

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well being new to all this is was going with the advice of a local aquarium.. thinking that was best. Ty for the help!
Yes lfs stores do no always give the best advice. There is a guy that works at one near me that says you have to freshwater dip finicky eating fish to get them to start eating.
Anyway. Treating copper in tank with sand and rock is not easy todo. As the sand and rock absorb the copper. Copper will kill allot of the bacteria that are involved in the nitrogen cycle of the tank.
If it was me I would pull live rock and sand and start over. You might never be able to keep inverts now that it is in your tank

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 10 43.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 7 30.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 4.3%
Back