Spotted Aiptasia on a frag - Can I cut base of kenya tree off the frag plug?

RRReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a kenya tree frag from my LFS a few weeks ago and noticed over the past few days there is what seems to be aiptasia on the rock the frag came on. I called both the LFS's near me and neither have peppermint shrimp. I could order one online but I wouldn't be able to sign for the package until Friday (I work 10 hr days Mon-Thu).

Since It's just on the frag rock, can I cut the coral right at the base and remove the rock? Then glue the base of the coral to my live rock?

I'll post a picture below.

OP
OP
R

RRReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the aiptasia is on the bottom left of the frag

20200216_131510.jpg

TheKyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could try to inject lemon juice into the aiptasia with a syringe. Worked for me once when I had an aiptasia on the base of a new hammer coral.

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you remove the rock out of the tank? If so then I would recommend to do that. Easier than cutting the coral and You can kill the aiptasia out of the tank without worry of it spreading in the tank.

TheKyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could try to inject lemon juice into the aiptasia with a syringe. Worked for me once when I had an aiptasia on the base of a new hammer coral.

To clarify I did the lemon juice injection outside the tank.

OP
OP
R

RRReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you remove the rock out of the tank? If so then I would recommend to do that. Easier than cutting the coral and You can kill the aiptasia out of the tank without worry of it spreading in the tank.
Yeah the coral is attached to the small piece of rock (which is what the aiptasia in on). So I plan on removing the rock, but the coral is attached to the rock.

So if I can remove the coral from the rock safely I'd like to do that, since if I don't the rock has to go back in with the coral attached. Is aiptasia able to hide in the rock or would I be safe if I remove all the visible aiptasia?

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.2%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back