Springeri Damsel aka Blue Sapphire Damsel

Orm Embar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought that Chrysiptera damsels (yellow tail or not) were generally peaceful fish, especially if added last. Debating adding one as the last fish to my tank

madcanary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you could have two or three i think its a group thing.in a 60g with no problems. I have five in my 120g.
yesah i think its a number thing.
i have a sapphire and an azure, they live at opposite ends of the tank i had 2 shappires, only one survived QT i bought 3 azures one survived QT. i have a 150 they will not leave their little territory but they dont fight. i have a school of 8 chromis and there is no conflict between any of the damsels.

becks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my springeri has been a model citizen and my tank is very peaceful, I'm thinking about adding a second but not sure how you would pair them?

U

User1

View Badges
I thought that Chrysiptera damsels (yellow tail or not) were generally peaceful fish, especially if added last. Debating adding one as the last fish to my tank

This is the general consensus, yes. Chrysiptera members are typically more peaceful such has Talbots and Azures to name a couple examples. I've had Azures and Talbots with great success.

Holy_makerel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a pair in my 60 cube. Very peaceful to all tankmates but they bicker constantly. They don't injur eachother but they argue over turf almost everyday. Very interesting to watch them interact

jhatfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got three for my 43 gal.. one died in shipping while the other two have been in the tank a week. These two are fighting like a pair of pit bulls. Very friendly towards the wrasse and blennys but super aggressive with each other. I’m betting in a day or so there will be only one left.

These were “sapphire damsels” from live aquaria. Not sure if the confusion about about which damsel is which comes into play here.

Eddie7144

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put 4 im my 150 gal tank anout a year ago. I dont believe they are aggressive but they are territorial.. the 4 eventually became 2 ( i suspect foul play ) they will give chase at times if a fish wanders into their turf but its not a bif deal. I say they are peaceful

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to remove mine from my display due to constant aggression towards my wrasse. Ignored the clowns, but then again altho my clowns are VERY peaceful, they don't take crap off anyone. The springeri damsel now has his own tank and everyone is happy.

Wradasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had one for four or five years. The only aggression I’ve seen is when I added a gramma and it immediately went into his sleeping spot, and when I added a flasher wrasse he chased it for a couple of days. I’m not sure if he even tried to catch it, it seemed more of a pecking order thing. No issues past the first couple of days.

Mhuq1197

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think people are getting the blue damsel (at top) confused with the Springeri damsel (Sapphore damsel) Both are called blue damsels by a lot of people.
Top one is the more agressive one and the bottom one is the very peaceful one.
You’re saying the complete opposite of what the article has described. No disrespect intended.

RyanHoan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two established sapphires that have paired up. I just added 4 more, and the pair is being very aggressive towards them. I'll let y'all know how the next few days go.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back