SPS and what you keep your alk at and why

Oscar Bravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have salifer and redsea and they both give me about the same readings. I try to stay at 9 area. but I had a jump to 10.5 and lost my red dragon acro :(

Finhead

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My goal is 7, but usually 6.5. I will never run above 7 again, even though I don't consider my tank to be low nutrients. Bad things just happen slower at low Alk levels.

How's yoru growth at those numbers?

I used to run at 7, I have since bumped that up to 7.8 and it will fluctuate from 7.8-8.0 through out the day/night.

Finhead

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take a look at my tank thread, markalot 150. Too fast!

Nice, I always read that the higher the alk the faster the growth. But the color suffers, not a fan. Good to know in a stable tank lower alk doesn't have any negative effects. :)

Reef Jedi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep mine at 8.4 dkh. Stable is the key no matter what number you choose. I ballance ca at 420 as well. I also dose 6 times a day for even more stability. I use Red Sea Blue bucket so I don’t get a swing when I do a water change. BRS did a video about elevated levels if you want a more info. But as long as you keep stable perams, you’ll have sps scucess!

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.8%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.0%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 72 42.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%

Back