SPS colony ID... Worth the money?

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does look very close to nasuta, but the radial corallites are a bit too "sharp" - side profile of radial is more sharply canted in. also they are fairly scattered in arrangement instead of a loose row like orientation like nasuta usually presents.

Id wager this is an indo microclados that is becoming really popular to see come in from bali/mariculture stations.
Some will label it as pickachu microclados, pink floyd etc etc.

$200? if it looks happy, thats a very great deal

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me start with that is a beautiful piece and about right for the going price. But...

Sorry to rant, but I'm done with maricultured pieces. Maybe colonies are better, but the couple times I've picked up chop shop frags (which looked great) I rarely see them do well in the long run. I'll pay more for a nub of a proven strain than taking a chance on maricultured pieces. I did pick up a spathulata maricultured piece that was near death and has come back with a vengeance, but by far my experience has been poor if the piece wasn't based out yet. I will say my tenius maricultured pieces may be my only gem from the ocean.

Just make sure you remove the base and/or dip every 5-7 days for a few weeks or quarantine properly to make sure any unhatched eggs are killed. If I had a rule that I could live by in my next tank, it would be to only buy living organisms from reputable shops. My aptasia came from a lfs and in the last tank the bugs that ate all my sps came from a fellow reefer. Maricultured pieces just don't have the allure that they used to for me.

Kaneohekid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recognize that piece, looks like you were at SKA. I picked up a couple of pieces from Chris yesterday. Personally, I think they were absolutely worth the $200.

Nice tenuis that I think will color up nicely with a green base and pink corallites
IMG_5086.jpg

I think I'm most excited for the potential of this piece, my phone can't capture the colors under my lighting but it's a light pink base with fluorescent yellow corallites and purple tips. The polyps at the tips are fluorescent yellow with the lower polyps a darker red.
IMG_5092.jpg

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on how it colors up, but $200 for a MC piece? Nah, but is a $200 1” frag “worth” it too? Things have changed and $200 for a whole colony isn’t bad, but if it’s just average color, then no, It’s not. I’d rather get a frag of that and just grow it out painfully for a couple of years.

Def. not TSA bill Murray, Btw.

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice ones! oscileris, I haven’t seen spaths maricultured yet but saw the reef builders article saying they did culture one they found out there. If that’s what you got that’s a good one especially from indo. Anyone seen them recently?
kanoehekid, those look great! Careful that tenuis is worthless without a name butI do love that variant ;)
Microlados was my second guess because the coralites did throw me off after looking again and not seeing them organized in a lot of places. Either ones going to look great though.

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does look very close to nasuta, but the radial corallites are a bit too "sharp" - side profile of radial is more sharply canted in. also they are fairly scattered in arrangement instead of a loose row like orientation like nasuta usually presents.

Id wager this is an indo microclados that is becoming really popular to see come in from bali/mariculture stations.
Some will label it as pickachu microclados, pink floyd etc etc.

$200? if it looks happy, thats a very great deal

My first impression was that it was a PF or pikachu variant as well: yellow skin, red/brown polyps... glad to see you on bud.

If it’s what c. Eymann thinks, then here’s my exact colony that I bought in 2016 for .... $45.
E0476BB6-3B80-4585-B457-2848D815E4F4.jpeg

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on how it colors up, but $200 for a MC piece? Nah, but is a $200 1” frag “worth” it too? Things have changed and $200 for a whole colony isn’t bad, but if it’s just average color, then no, It’s not. I’d rather get a frag of that and just grow it out painfully for a couple of years.

Def. not TSA bill Murray, Btw.

Too each their own I guess, Id be tempted to pay 200 for the colony pictured, grow it out a little cook up the colors a bit more then frag some and use said frags to trade with other stick heads for other pieces I may want.

Agree its definitely not a bill, after working with some large colonies of bill, Im inclined to think bill might be acropora spicifera.

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My maricultured tenius have been the only ones to adapt well, so here's to good luck! I'd definitely try and simulate some food while it's transitioning, amino acids if possible. I've found reef roids and/or reef chili plus acropower once a day does wonders for polyp extension and health. Looks promising! But I'd rather see what it turns out like with your money than mine :)

Back