SPS colony ID... Worth the money?

BighohoReef

A reefer in need is a friend indeed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our LFS got a bunch of indo colonies last week. I purchased it for $200 but I'm having it rest in the store until it's rested. Wondering if anyone knows what type of acro this is.

1594058896767.png

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also, you can get other readers and bits these in a group but at wholesale prices if you have someone that can order em.

We used to do a group buy and sell the remaining colonies nobody wanted or frag em up and sell at even higher margins.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our LFS got a bunch of indo colonies last week. I purchased it for $200 but I'm having it rest in the store until it's rested. Wondering if anyone knows what type of acro this is.

1594058896767.png
No idea what type but it looks nice. The coloration is similar to my reefers cove poison envy.

OP
OP
BighohoReef

BighohoReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also, you can get other readers and bits these in a group but at wholesale prices if you have someone that can order em.

We used to do a group buy and sell the remaining colonies nobody wanted or frag em up and sell at even higher margins.
I've wondered about group buys and how that worked... Reading lots of threads on the prices you need to pay to get the higher end colonies. I'm willing to give the colony a shot considering it hasn't been fragged and now has been sitting in the shop for the past 6 days. Still has color and I'm not seeing any bugs on it (fingers crossed).

I'll just into the group buy forum... interesting topic for sure.

OP
OP
BighohoReef

BighohoReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've wondered about group buys and how that worked... Reading lots of threads on the prices you need to pay to get the higher end colonies. I'm willing to give the colony a shot considering it hasn't been fragged and now has been sitting in the shop for the past 6 days. Still has color and I'm not seeing any bugs on it (fingers crossed).

I'll just into the group buy forum... interesting topic for sure.

Ya group buys used to be the big thing, but nowadays people only care about themselves.

OP
OP
BighohoReef

BighohoReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya group buys used to be the big thing, but nowadays people only care about themselves.
Sad probably why the market is so expensive now. Oh well I suppose everyone is happy paying online prices for 1" sticks lol ;)

OP
OP
BighohoReef

BighohoReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost reminds me of a tsa Bill Murray. I'd say $200 is a good deal for how large it is.
If it is a Bill Murray I would call it a steal of a deal. I was just looking at that on TSA or WWC, it's on my list.

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just glanced at it and thought nasuta as well. That’s a nice variant too, great colors. The 200 price tag is a little high but not that bad these days. If it were a bread and butter green nasuta then I would say defiantly no but you might only get one or two super nice looking maricultures in a box and I would say that’s one of the nicer ones. If you can keep the orange coralites and good color in the tips then it will be a great piece. I see some people selling the nice mari pieces for 300+ which is just overboard but people seem to get sucked into paying it.
Sure getting boxes is nice but you gotta have a specific type of setup to be successful with the wild and mari pieces. You can’t get a box just because you have a tank and expect to have most of them live unless your experienced with them and have the right equipment. There are a lot of average pieces when you get boxes so paying 200 for a nice one Isnt as bad when you think about it like that.
Your lucky if your local shop can keep these healthy. If I see one at a shop I won’t buy it unless it’s just arrived or still in the bag. Sometimes I will get one after it’s been there for a month or more and darkened up because I know it shouldn’t rtn after that bit that is just plain rare. Normally they kill them within the week and don’t get them again because they loose money everytime. It’s sad and annoying.

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just glanced at it and thought nasuta as well. That’s a nice variant too, great colors. The 200 price tag is a little high but not that bad these days. If it were a bread and butter green nasuta then I would say defiantly no but you might only get one or two super nice looking maricultures in a box and I would say that’s one of the nicer ones. If you can keep the orange coralites and good color in the tips then it will be a great piece. I see some people selling the nice mari pieces for 300+ which is just overboard but people seem to get sucked into paying it.
Sure getting boxes is nice but you gotta have a specific type of setup to be successful with the wild and mari pieces. You can’t get a box just because you have a tank and expect to have most of them live unless your experienced with them and have the right equipment. There are a lot of average pieces when you get boxes so paying 200 for a nice one Isnt as bad when you think about it like that.
Your lucky if your local shop can keep these healthy. If I see one at a shop I won’t buy it unless it’s just arrived or still in the bag. Sometimes I will get one after it’s been there for a month or more and darkened up because I know it shouldn’t rtn after that bit that is just plain rare. Normally they kill them within the week and don’t get them again because they loose money everytime. It’s sad and annoying.
Spot on!

Heabel7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1594058896767.png
Considering even the crap sps sticks sell for $40-50. $200 is a steal for a colony such as that. Only hesitation would be if it holds its cooor or turns into something else. For all we know that’s the next must have coral.

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Considering even the crap sps sticks sell for $40-50. $200 is a steal for a colony such as that. Only hesitation would be if it holds its cooor or turns into something else. For all we know that’s the next must have coral.
Lol no... colonies are always cheaper than frags, fyi

Heabel7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol NO! Never seen larger SPS for cheaper. Even wild ones. Obviously they don’t charge you what each stick on the colony is worth. But in my neck of the woods that is a stellar deal. If I said wow that’s $200. They would say well you know I could break that up and make $40 a frag. So actually your getting a deal because I could make $500 off that thing. Heard it many times here in Chicagoland. Sps are a rare find here.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 34.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 39 31.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back