SPS Coral in sump to control nutrients?

Coug92

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question to bounce off all of you. I just started growing corals in my sump. I am using it as a way to grow frags. I am running the lights on alternate times to my display lights. One benefit I already see is that my PH does not fluctuate as much. I am wondering if I grow enough coral in the sump will it start to act like macro algae and function like a nutrient remover. It is mostly SPS frags and the fuge section is about 5 gallons in the 112 gallon system. Any thoughts?

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question to bounce off all of you. I just started growing corals in my sump. I am using it as a way to grow frags. I am running the lights on alternate times to my display lights. One benefit I already see is that my PH does not fluctuate as much. I am wondering if I grow enough coral in the sump will it start to act like macro algae and function like a nutrient remover. It is mostly SPS frags and the fuge section is about 5 gallons in the 112 gallon system. Any thoughts?
Xenia has been used for nutrient reduction many a times before. I would think leathers and zoas could be used as well.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All corals will remove N and P as they grow, but SPS are slow growers.

TheDragonsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Slightly yes, but not nearly as much as macro algaes. Growth rate has alot to do with nutrient uptake so the faster something grows the more nutrients it can take in.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back