SPS finally showing decent rates of growth!

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LEDs obviously can grow corals otherwise many of the aquaculture facilities wouldn't use them. Growth of their lineage pieces is important. LEDs are just harder to use correctly. If you've been in the sps game for a while, understand spectrum, placement, use a par meter, ect your chances of success are better. If you're learning sps, it's just so much easier to throw some t5ho up and forget about lighting.

Yup

ikolbaba06

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bif is talking about always fiddling with colors and intensities. On/off ramping is just fine. I would second bif plus 1000 because I did the same thing and have stopped and growth has taken off.

Chris Kelly

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am stuck with no grow and radions. I have tried everything. I just dont like the way t5 has to be mounted over my reefer as hanging from ceiling is not an option. I will some growth then a die off. Pulling my hair out. Im using the wide angle lenses but not helping.

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@bif24701 so would it be advantageous to set my LEDS on/off? Skipping my 2-3hr sunrise and sunset?

Doesn't matter. The key is not to make a lot of changes. The corals will need to adjust to the light. It helps if you can adjust the light to the coral and PAR with and meter. Even better if you can be sure your spectrum choices are good like Kessil Logic or copying a known program like Echotech AB+ program. Then walk away, just walk away. The problem with LEDs is not about what the can't do, it's what they can do. To many options and that most often with first timers leads to mistakes/failures such as a bleaching event. You can actually go backwards if your not cautious and knowledgeable. BRS review of black box makes it very clear that using that kind of light with out a PAR will kill corals. I am grateful for my light choice I'm Kessil because setting up the AP700 was easy. I have made very few changes since putting them on 1.5 years ago.

If I where you I would copy someone's program, someone successful, for spectrum and buy or borrow a PAR meter to set intensity.

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am stuck with no grow and radions. I have tried everything. I just dont like the way t5 has to be mounted over my reefer as hanging from ceiling is not an option. I will some growth then a die off. Pulling my hair out. Im using the wide angle lenses but not helping.

I promise you it's not the Radions. It's either your water or you. I don't know your system but a tried and true method is simple like regular water changes. I change 100 gallons on my 300 total system every 1-2 weeks. If your changing you light program stop, just let it be. The corals can easily adjust and they will as long as your water is good and stable.

A sure thing that will set you back is too much intensity with LEDs.

Donovan Joannes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing bad about LED is there are way too many control given to end user, especially on spectrum manipulation. If LED manufacturer can design their fixture a truly set and forget like MH/T5, there should be less thread on LED issues.

TbyZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been running LEDs since I started my tank which is for a year now. I mostly have SPS. All nutrients have been under control. Stable alkalinity, calcium and magnesium but unimpressed with the growth until I added two T5 bulbs retrofit and have had them on for about two months and have already noticed significant growth as compared to LEDs alone. I finally feel like I can have a thriving SPS tank after a few years with this growth rate. Just thought I would share, I thought I was doing something wrong.
What T5s bulbs exactly?

OP
OP
OceanL0ver

OceanL0ver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What T5s bulbs exactly?

ATI Blue plus
ATI Aquablue Special
I built a floating canopy to hide it all

Retrofit KIT from BRS
cb13e33cd96425844dc6c723f53f8025.jpg

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing bad about LED is there are way too many control given to end user, especially on spectrum manipulation. If LED manufacturer can design their fixture a truly set and forget like MH/T5, there should be less thread on LED issues.

This is so true.. I've changed my radion setting about 6 times in 6 month. I started with too much light now I am running 6 and 1/2 hrs higher intensity with SPS AB+ but considering changing it by increasing the whites.. I keep telling myself just let it be and if I want to increase anything just up the intensity gradually. I like that I can have a 3 hr ramp and 3 hr ramp down. But the ability to tweak is a blessing and a curse. I think after my tank is well established with sufficient nutrients I'll let it be aslong as the PAR is in ideal range.

Last edited:

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd advise getting the tank to ideal par range and leave it there now regardless of anything else. People really should treat their LEDs like they're metal halides or t5ho and just enjoy the energy and heat savings. Don't adjust for any reason. Especially with radions or anything similar. Set the ab+ program and leave it.

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd advise getting the tank to ideal par range and leave it there now regardless of anything else. People really should treat their LEDs like they're metal halides or t5ho and just enjoy the energy and heat savings. Don't adjust for any reason. Especially with radions or anything similar. Set the ab+ program and leave it.

Vaughn17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been getting great growth and coloration with both cheap and more expensive leds. I run a whiter spectrum, btw. However, IME water quality is more important than lighting.

2Wheelsonly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think placement is more of an issue with LED than settings; I have seen drastic changes in growth/performance/health of my corals by simply changing from front to back to side by side. I also found in my experiences that when you think you need 4 LED units you actually need 8. AI told me that my tank would need 4 hydra 52's and I fought for growth and sps survival for 2 years before sticking 4 more lights on. My survival rate went from 30% to 90% and my growth was excellent.

happyhourhero

Burner of the Tips
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My problem is that I can't seem to find the right spot and percentage for my lights. I am so unsure! How do you guys gauge this?

Back