SPS fragging and to plug or not to plug?

tangboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have acquired a few SPS and am wondering several things when it comes to frags.

1. how do you frag your sps (acros, millis, etc)
2. Do you use plugs, discs or rubble to place frags on
3. when you do have a frag of sps on a plug or disc, do you put that in your tank or how can you remove it from the disc or plug? is it possible?

I ask these things because I have some sps on plugs and discs and they are just unsightly. But the green slimer and tricolor I have are growing outward on the disc and plugs. I figure its not wise to scrape them off the plug cause that would just damage them!

Post away!

Paul_N

MOD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer rubble rock. When they are on frag plugs you just let them encrust over the plug. Eventually you will not be able to see it. You could also break the stem off the frag plug and then glue the disc onto a rock. That is the main reason I don't use plugs. The plugs I have in my tank are from frags I purchased from other people. As far as fraggin' sps I usually break it off with my fingers or use wire cutters.

OP
OP
tangboy

tangboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so for the Green Slimmer I have, I can just break off a branch with my finger and that won't damage it permanently? Then just glue the base of the branch to anything I want and it'll grow out just fine?

m and m

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it all depends. I mean if its something thats well encrusted on a disk ill take it over just a fresh cut. If its well encrusted it will save your months of growth even more so with some of those big encrusted before they sprout IE pink lemonade. Now if its one any type of disk and it looks fresh i normally just break it off and put it in a little hole in the rock work or a little puddy.

m and m

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so for the Green Slimmer I have, I can just break off a branch with my finger and that won't damage it permanently? Then just glue the base of the branch to anything I want and it'll grow out just fine?

Yes thats called making a frag. It will take a little to heal but in a week or two where it was broke you will see new polyps. How big is your colony, and multi branches?

OP
OP
tangboy

tangboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May be I could dremel a "little growth" that has encrusted on the plug or maybe just pull the LR out that I want it on and drill a hole for the frag to slide into.

OP
OP
tangboy

tangboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The green slimer has the main stalk, with 2 side branches growing off. the main branch is... 2-3 inches tall and the side branches are 1 or so inches. I'm not planning on fragging it yet, but planning for the future.

What about for montis? Just crack an edge off and glue it somewhere else?

dougers31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would use tools whenever possible to frag(stainless sidecutters) since you could damage more tissue by breaking off with you fingers, especially if its a thicker branch.

dougers31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The green slimer has the main stalk, with 2 side branches growing off. the main branch is... 2-3 inches tall and the side branches are 1 or so inches. I'm not planning on fragging it yet, but planning for the future.

What about for montis? Just crack an edge off and glue it somewhere else?

Montis are easy. In this case you could prolly just break it off with your finger if its thin. If its thick you may want to dremmel the back side to get a clean break.

OP
OP
tangboy

tangboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would use tools whenever possible to frag(stainless sidecutters) since you could damage more tissue by breaking off with you fingers, especially if its a thicker branch.
stainless side cutters? How as in like wire cutters? link of what you mean please :p

OP
OP
tangboy

tangboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Montis are easy. In this case you could prolly just break it off with your finger if its thin. If its thick you may want to dremmel the back side to get a clean break.

Dremel would be nice... flat edge is easier to glue to my overflow column :p

OP
OP
tangboy

tangboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea dip new frags. Thought he just acquired them and since he was looking for info I threw in my 2c.

Thanks for the info Brian, it's better to offer that advice to newbies when it could be useful!

OP
OP
tangboy

tangboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

dougers31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would also suggest that if you are putting frags in your display to glue a 3/16ths acrylic rod to a small piece of rubble and use that for your plug. The rod will be easier to stick in an already existing hole of your live rock/.

OP
OP
tangboy

tangboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would also suggest that if you are putting frags in your display to glue a 3/16ths acrylic rod to a small piece of rubble and use that for your plug. The rod will be easier to stick in an already existing hole of your live rock/.

Now that is smart! I have lots of LR leftover in my "cooking" bin that I could break up and make into natural looking plugs with that rod. Question is, where do you get the acrylic rod? :p

Paul_N

MOD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also with some acro you may not see any significant growth from the piece until it encrusts on the frag plug or rock.

Here is a great place for acrylic rod. Get the extruded as it is cheaper. They have various diameters and it is sold by the foot.

Clear Extruded Acrylic Rod | U.S. Plastic Corp.

I don't like plugs or rods for frags so if the frag/rubble rock is too heavy I use combination of aquamend epoxy putty sold at Lowes and HD along with super glue gel.

Last edited:

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.6%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 38 58.5%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 17 26.2%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 7.7%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.1%
Back