sps going pale need some nitrate . suggest a product

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok.. so my frags that i got are in my QT... they had some great color and almost at 30 day mark for QT. Ready to go into the DT. I believe the going pale is due to lack of nitrate... The frag QT has not fish as this is to insure no ick or pests on frags..

Can you suggest a product to bring up the nitrate. Thanks

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is more likely light, unless you are stripping N too low with organic carbon or a sulphur denitrator or something artificial. Click on this photo below and check out the album... my tank has N of about .1, which is not detectable with a hobby grade test kit.

Sodium Nitrate can work, but chasing N or P is usually a disaster. Ammonia/ammonium is better for most corals to get their nitrogen.

OP
OP
chicago

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So unsure if it is the light.. the Neptune par meter on the QT frag tank only shows like 98 par. But the radion 4gen that lights the 30 gallon long frag QT tank is only like 24 inches above. I run a light spectrum daily program similar to the ones that WWC and other growers use.. now as a right this I wonder if the par meter accurately reads blue light at like 14k.

smartwater101

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your nitrates, what are you testing with, and have you confirmed the results with a different brand kit?

As for dosing, LOUDWOLF is well liked.

Screenshot_20191019-055300_Gallery.jpg

OP
OP
chicago

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok.. read up on this.. not going to chase the devil... my readings are zero.. under deep blues frags look ok and good.. its when i turn on the light to the room or go to 18k on the radion gen4 that the frags look pale.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok.. read up on this.. not going to chase the devil... my readings are zero.. under deep blues frags look ok and good.. its when i turn on the light to the room or go to 18k on the radion gen4 that the frags look pale.

0.00 = no nutrients available for corals. You wouldn’t be happy in that environment either. Feed the tank and you’ll see coloration improvements within a couple weeks :)

OP
OP
chicago

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Frag QT tank has no fish in it.. I am going to start feed Reef Roids ect.. see if that helps. Thanks all

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think people these days are scared of low nutrients. I would love to see some pictures of what your saying is pale. Otherwise it’s all just guessing. I am leaning towards the light as well since you say your only getting a very low par number. If you want some good help, post some pics.

OP
OP
chicago

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
will do... trying to get photos is not that easy with these blue lights ect.. need to find my poly lens... under deep blue or blues.. they look ok.. as one might expect.. not as great as weeks ago.. but when i go to 18k or even the 20k setting on the gen4 radion... they look pale.. I should be posting pics.. i agree kinda a shot in the dark without me posting them.

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I have seen a few tanks that look great with all blues then when the whites kick on stuff looks kind of pale. Most of them were under lit and used mostly blue light all day. The one I helped just had to turn the lights up and run the whites for a decent period and the corals looked much better. But each tank is a little different.

OP
OP
chicago

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Works good in by DT... it’s the Frag QT with no fish that is the issue..

OP
OP
chicago

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Won’t work... the idea is to make sure no ick can live or be added to the tank with the frags.. fish in a QT will kill that purpose.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Won’t work... the idea is to make sure no ick can live or be added to the tank with the frags.. fish in a QT will kill that purpose.

you can still feed fish food (mysis, etc) without fish.

or coral foods like Reef Roids

OP
OP
chicago

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to run some more whites a bit.. thanks for the help guys.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 16 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 10.0%
Back