SPS have good color and are clearly growing but...

OP
OP
TexAgReefer

TexAgReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have any angels but I do have a ton of hermits that crawl all over my Tenuis and the PE returns within minutes, but idk, maybe angels cause more damage. I don’t like the saxby program. My Tenuis don’t like AI whites above 25, but that’s probably the only way you can get enough par with a single 26. I bet your stuff will be a lot happier after you get add the T5’s. Ditch the saxby after though. I would max out the blues,Uv and V and add a little white to make the tank look right.
My plan once I get the hybrid is to go AB+, adjust the CW to the color/look I want, and then adjust intensity to achieve the right PAR.
I'm still getting really good growth so I guess that's the silver lining while I wait for the upgrade in lighting.

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My plan once I get the hybrid is to go AB+, adjust the CW to the color/look I want, and then adjust intensity to achieve the right PAR.
I'm still getting really good growth so I guess that's the silver lining while I wait for the upgrade in lighting.
I think it’s either the angel or the bright whites. Best of luck. There’s nothing better in this hobby than a tank full of hairy sps.

EMeyer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I struggled with this for a while too. I finally discovered that in my case, it was absolutely caused by a nipper -- Kleins Butterflyfish.

I never witnessed them nipping, but when I removed the fish, and put it in my SPS frag tank, the PE in my DT came back. Then the PE in my frag tank went away :( So I rehomed my last Kleins and now I have PE again.

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes its not a nipper.

I've got an ORA tricolor Valida that never has polyp extension because my cleaner shrimp likes to hang out in it - and his walking all over it is clearly an irritant.
The coral doesn't know the difference between a fish and a shrimp, it just feels something on it and it retracts its polyps. So really they are the same thing and the shrimp could very well be nipping at it too.

blstravler

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I had the same issue. First I went through everything and found my PH probe need calibration badly - my PH was way to low. Second I had two yellow clown gobies. Third I figured out I had a little too much flow. I fixed these three issues and that fixed the PE.

monti mike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It took me over a month to catch mine.
I had to pull all the rock out to get mine. She was an angel (pun intended!) for 3 years and then she just went nip crazy on everything. She also started bullying everything in sight. It was like she went insane as she got older.

Stigigemla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen some Montiporas retract their polyps as soon that there was an Centropyge in the tank.
When I had a rabbitfish in the tank it snacked on the coral when he didnt get his nori. A good nori meal and he stopped that for a week and the polyp expansion was back in a few hours. But with Centropyges in the tank the polyps were retracted 24/7. I had Coral beauties and they never nipped a coral.

McPuff

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like it is the Potters. You should find some luck with the corals after removing the fish but it could take several weeks. Let the frags grow a while and you might be able to put the Potters back in at a later date. Once the corals are more colony size, they seem to put up with a lot more contact, nipping, what-have-you. I've got hawkfish that perch in the corals, a blueface that occasionally nips (rare), yet my PE is better than ever. Sounds like you've got plenty of flow as well. The par seems kind of low for tenuis, though that isn't the cause of the PE not extending.

OP
OP
TexAgReefer

TexAgReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like it is the Potters. You should find some luck with the corals after removing the fish but it could take several weeks. Let the frags grow a while and you might be able to put the Potters back in at a later date. Once the corals are more colony size, they seem to put up with a lot more contact, nipping, what-have-you. I've got hawkfish that perch in the corals, a blueface that occasionally nips (rare), yet my PE is better than ever. Sounds like you've got plenty of flow as well. The par seems kind of low for tenuis, though that isn't the cause of the PE not extending.
He's out so we'll see what happens with some time.

Yes, my par is on the low side. I will be adding a T5 hybrid to get a little boost soon. I'm getting great growth/encrusting from all of them so it's "enough" for now, but I want them to thrive, not just have enough.

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am curious to hear if it helped too. Ime pulling the fish should help with extension quickly after the fish is out. So if it’s not good now you might have another issue causing it. Even though I am not one to say polyp extension is something to chase unless your talking about nighttime extension. That’s how you tell if the corals truly healthy.

OP
OP
TexAgReefer

TexAgReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy from Texas. Any improvement on PE since the Potters has been moved out
As much as it breaks my heart, I loved that potters, it absolutely made all the difference.

As stated above, I never saw him nip at polyps or coral, and I watch the tank often, but within a few weeks PE has been awesome across the board.

Dal-Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Figured you were going to say that.. I got a coral beauty that the wife is really attached to. The coral beauty is fat feed often but I bet she is doing drive by on the acros. At night got great PE

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back