SPS ID

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
A few weeks ago I purchased some Rhodactis mushrooms from liveaquaria. They came on what looked like an old coral skeleton covered in coralline algae. I figured it was long dead, however. Yesterday when rescaping my tank, I had the blue light on and saw a very fluorescent tip on the skeleton, and turned on the white lights, and behold, there was living flesh! So, I suppose it’s kinda my first SPS coral. Any idea what it could be? It really glows under blue light but I can’t get a photograph with my iPhone.
C3B101BC-3172-499B-B973-42436DB16DA1.jpeg

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the idea of montipora, because it does look similar to that.
Setosa seems accurate given that the whole thing appears to be a dead skeleton, with a tiny bit of flesh on it.

Alexopora

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a little hard to determine but it does resemble a Montipora setosa. Give it a month to grow out and then share a pic of it here.

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh no, it is most likely bleaching. Try to move it to a lower location but make sure it receives good flow.
The issue is it’s on a rock with Rhodactis but is on the underside, so if I keep it in light and flow the Rhodactis mushrooms aren’t, and vice versa. I didn’t even notice it in its original location, it wasn’t until I accidentally flipped it over that I was like “oh wow!”

Alexopora

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The issue is it’s on a rock with Rhodactis but is on the underside, so if I keep it in light and flow the Rhodactis mushrooms aren’t, and vice versa. I didn’t even notice it in its original location, it wasn’t until I accidentally flipped it over that I was like “oh wow!”
Have you considered like having a bone cutter or a clean diamond plier to cut out the sps part?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 129 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back