ShaunMc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Intro:

I've been away from reefing for a decade. With the fast pace of life, I have missed the patience and focus that this hobby required for success. I'm excited to get connected back into it. I have never done a build thread, but felt it would be a good practice to record the activity for myself. If others get enjoyment from reading, or have advice, the better.

In late 2000s, I had to tear down a 65 gallon in wall system (134g total system) to sale my home. This was an upgrade from my first 40 breeder. I was close to implementing a 235 gallon display at my next home. It was an acrylic tank i bought ($450!) used (barely) from an insurance business. I carried it into my basement which had a 15x20-ish room behind the tank. That would have been awesome, but life and family postponed those plans. I sold that tank after not using it for 2 years. Since 2012, I have not had a tank in the house (filled or empty). Knowing that I'm likely to move again in 1-3 years, but still wanting to get back into the hobby, I decided to go with a smaller system.

Like many others, I took Innovative Marine up on the $99 pre-order Fusion 15. Since there are many IM 15 builds started, I decided to tip my hat to the other side of the pond naming this my 56.78 liter build. I mean, come on, it is 5678.

--

Activity: October 16, 2022 - November 13, 2022

A9734629-9D75-4FE2-BD25-9631D92DB4A6_1_105_c.jpeg

I ordered this tank on October 16, 2022 with the mesh screen, high tide riser and spin stream. I received it on November 1st. I was surprised by that turnaround since the pre-order stated it would be late November. Since I had a backpacking trip planned, I knew it would be mid November before I started to cycle this tank. But during the last two weeks of October, I decided to build a habitat and try to find a stand. The later being a bit of a challenge for this tank.

For the habitat, I ordered the Aqua Forest AF Rock (22lbs / 10kg) and put together a scape using maybe half of the box. I ended up making 1 adjustment to this first go at it. With only 11.5" of depth, I went vertical in an attempt to create a few "layers" on which to build a mixed reef.

It was interesting to work with dry rock. My previous two builds were from live rock, one sourced locally from a tear down and the other ordered from a company that no longer exists. That is one of I'm sure many different things to come from my prior experience.

3CF4AD1D-77CF-41B0-B562-1486005D8BAA_1_105_c.jpeg

21533BD5-419F-4065-9CE6-54FCFAE920C1_1_105_c.jpeg

Locating a stand was not easy. I was fairly sure I was just going to need to grab plywood and do my own. I looked into a few ideas for it and sketched it. But the day I decided to stop after work for materials, I saw a post for a 15" x 15" kitchen cabinet. $20. A 15" depth kitchen cabinet isn't a normal thing, and at $20, I picked it up.

EDFA9565-1350-4C72-A874-3B3596D6C5CF_1_105_c.jpeg

I did have to remove the toekick as the short depth of the toe kick made it too unstable for supporting a tank. Then I had to create a top for it and throw on some paint. Lastly, I grabbed two 5lb bags of Ocean Direct sand from Petsmart for $4.99 each.

FEFB75A7-FFE5-4C12-A061-750349331D75_1_105_c.jpeg

Then it sat like this for a couple weeks while I traveled, hiked (during Hurricane Nicole...) and returned home.

(Well, I did order more stuff but that is for another post.)

-Sp

Setup Status:
Tank -
Innovative Marine Fusion 15 AIO Cube, Mesh Screen, HighTide Riser
Habitat - Aqua Forest AF Rock, Oceans Direct LiveSand
Stand - 15" Cabinet Modified, Painted black
Return - Stock IM 130 gph pump / Spin Stream
Filtration - Stock Filter sock

OP
OP
ShaunMc

ShaunMc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vision Development:

I returned home to way too many boxes of things ordered. Basically from Nov 1 - 14, all I really did was digest way too much information on nano setups, products, builds, new philosophies, etc as I'm considering what my actual goals are for this ecosystem.

In my past two marine aquariums, I did not have a controller. I was perfectly fine without it, although I did follow and consider them many times. I also lived through the halide into t5 era. Leds were only just beginning when I left. High watts were the thing. And I was running off self sourced two part dosing by hand. That was just what was going on, or I was well behind. No Controller, Two (+) parts. No Dosing. LIghts on a timer. Pvc Stand as a Closed Loop. Sump w/ Cheato. Gravity ATO into Sump. Skimmer. Filter Socks. Heavy-ish bio load.

So, going into this build my mind is locked on having a controller. Running efficiently. Smaller bioload. Getting a doser, although it is a while before I'll need it (if I will) and looking at Kalk or All For Reef. Or both. Since this tank is small, I might also take a run at a small phyto/copepod setup. I'm not really concerned w/ stability for phyto/copepods, just something to try.

Activity: November 14, 2022 - November 25, 2022

I mixed up some AquaForest Reef Salt and started a fish-less cycle. Although now you can instant cycle things, on November 14th, I don't have the equipment I want to introduce livestock. My goal is really to attempt to establish the system for, maybe, a December start for bioload. For now, bottle bac and ammonia dosing.

7C7F6986-EB20-43A1-8FA1-22B38B265916_1_105_c.jpeg

In doing this setup, I noticed that the stock pump is a little noisy. As is the Spin Stream. Now, if the tank was somewhere else, it is probably fine. But I'm placing this tank in my bedroom. I'm sleeping 3-4' from it. So, the pump situation is something to change. Maybe later, I'll change the tank location, lol.

I'm using a gravity type ATO for now, really to help me learn the tank's evap rate.

I picked up a Kessil A80 from Saltwater Aquarium (used) for $72. Based on many threads, this light isn't something that too many are selecting. But it checks a few marks for which I'm going to try it.

One, it is passively cooled. No fan. I.e. Quiet. Two, it is 0-10v controlled. Three, it should work well for my aquascape. I have also liked a few options where people and placed two of them on one gooseneck. The downside is the 15w. But I'm in to see what it can grow.

I switched the stock filter sock after filling the tank, with an InTank Filter Floss holder and Floss. I added MediaPure gem (bio media) in a bag below it. I added Bubble Magnus Skimmer (off currently) and bag of AquaChar. The return chamber has the heater and stock pump.

(The hang-on, is a future project, in which I'm considering a way to isolate a pH probe).

A8B631A4-EEA8-4D66-8EBA-3EC651D20223_1_105_c.jpeg

I also installed some equipment into the stand. A controller (Hydros), Jebao Doser, and ATO container. I plan to finish this up this week. I forgot to get the power supply for the controller. The breakout boxes are from JB Aquatics.

F500CFED-6E88-48ED-A16D-89A9339FB0C7_1_105_c.jpeg

Couple notes on the controller. My goal for efficiency was to attempt to lower the amount of electric cables, etc. But there are some limits w/ the controller for current and supported pumps. I do want to add a WaveEngineLE, but I also don't want locked into specific pumps. It is also limited to dosing control options. I don't have it running, but I also don't expect it to interface w/ the jebao doser, which would be nice...

Anyway, final tank shot for post. Ammonia processed.
93F2B385-EC3E-4487-97E8-D2216569D027_1_105_c.jpeg

Setup Status:
Tank -
Return - Stock IM 130 gph pump / Spin Stream
Filtration - Stock Filter sock inTank Floss Holder, MediaPure Gems, Bubble Magnus MiniQ, AquaChar
Controller/Doser - Hydros x4, Jebao Wifi 3.4

OP
OP
ShaunMc

ShaunMc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vision Development Cont'd:

Livestock. Currently i'm considering two clowns (widebar gladiator / naked). In the past, I had a kole tang, rock beauty angel, percs, six line, lawnmower, longnose hawkfish and a cleaner. I'm still on the fence between two clowns or going with a few smaller (example: prawn goby, rainford, mini dart, sharknose goby, tailspot, gramma) fish. I will run snails, probably not crabs or a shrimp.

Activity: November 25, 2022 - November 30, 2022

Once the ammonia cycled out, I did go ahead and drop 85% of the water. It is easy to do in a small tank. I also replaced the stock pump with a Jebao DCW 1500 with VCA Nano Dual RFG.

7DC55E35-DBF2-41C2-A72A-2EC38F909097_1_105_c.jpeg

I just velcro'd the control beside the hygger for now.

2AEDDBA1-4F19-4A63-A6E3-40020E6E657F_1_105_c.jpeg

This pump is quiet, but also too much for this tank w/ the current overflow design. With the high tide riser, you can only run it about half way. If you drop the riser, it will actually keep up close to the full power, but even if the riser is on the lowest setting, the emergency overflow will see some action.

I didn't change the stock tube, which is small for the pump outlets. I just snuggly pushed the tube inside one of the the outlet options and it is working fine. That helps reduce flow a bit. All that said, the pump is an improvement over the stock. You do get some flexibility with how much water you want to run through the filtration. At this time, I have it set at 3-5 and the hygger just always on random.

I did try this pump with the SpinStream and it works, but that was still loud for me. I swapped in the dual rfg and I think this is where we are going to stay.

At this point, I wish I had the controller setup so that I can watch the tank for a bit to prepare for livestock.

As I'm waiting on the controller power, I worked on the side project. copepods.

Now, I'm not looking to create sustainable, redundant, culturing. But I am interested in maximizing my investment in them. So my thoughts were to create a vessel that I could place them in and extract over time. I'm still waiting on the shipment of 3 types, but here is the setup.

9CF1D762-80CC-4E23-BFD3-A82DECE7C448_1_105_c.jpeg

I took one of the three 1.5l dosing containers with a small usb air pump and a control valve. i have clean saltwater, a couple biomedia and a drop of bottle bac. I created sieves from 2" pvc repair couple and a bushing. These sieves set right on lid opening perfectly.

1D86FA20-5AAB-424E-82B5-3D175F530F2C_1_105_c.jpeg

I actually also have 3 small usb driven pumps w/ a hole in each lid as I found that I could cycle water using them up and into the sieve w/o then ever having to insert anything into the water. but im not sure that the simple baster method isn't better.

There is still quite a bit of air exiting the open valve, so I think i will also setup 1 phyto bottle. Again, not for sustainability, but this is a first go at this process.

Maybe the next update, I'll have a XP8 and cable clean up.

BD231D13-05C4-46FF-B1E1-D409AFFB4B69_1_102_a.jpeg

Setup Status:
Tank -
Return - Stock IM 130 gph pump / Spin Stream, Jebao DCW 1500 / VCA Dual 1/4" RFG
Flow - Hygger Minii Wave 1600gph
Filtration - inTank Floss Holder w/ Floss, MediaPure Gems, Bubble Magnus MiniQ (off), AquaChar
Controller/Doser - Hydros x4 (waiting for XP8), Jebao Wifi 3.4 (not running)

Last edited:

V A R I A N T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brilliant idea culturing copepods. You’ve given me something to think about here. Great work so far.

OP
OP
ShaunMc

ShaunMc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vision Development Cont'd:

Coral. I designed the aqua scape for three-ish tiers so that I can go soft to lps to sps. I’m going to place a few Zoa’s onto the rock on the sand. Not sure on the base of the main structure. On the middle right, I’m going to place euphyilla, likely branching hammer. At the top sps.

Activity: December 1, 2022 - December 3 2022

As posted above, I received the copepods and put them in the setup. Apex, Tig, and Tisbee. It will be interesting to see if that works out.

I found Kessil #2 and was able to pick up the XP8 for the Hydros. So I spent a couple hours working on this setup. pH, Temp, skimmer sensor, water level sensors, and all devices to power installed.

3A6F05DC-5F23-4E1C-9D6C-DCAB0CB8B136.jpeg

5466FFB7-A1E3-4DEA-9794-B151BF43E98A.jpeg

2DCA4D06-ECAF-4497-BE67-A28BEEAE306A.jpeg

I’m waiting for a waterproof case for doing some light testing. It was my desire to connect two A80s for independent control so that I can have flexibility for distance above the tall part of the aquascape and allow the other to sit lower if needed. I might run these in the future off 1 arm, but for now this gives me the most range of adjustment. (Thanks Noah)

But the plan for now is to monitor, specifically pH, and help settle the first fish in the tank.

Royal Gramma. About 1 1/4”

42CC666A-919F-43DA-A8A8-161E32AE4742.jpeg

It is currently being cautious in the cave at the bottom of the aquascape. Hopefully in a day or two he will be more comfortable.

I did pick up some cheato, but I have not finalized how (if) I want to implement it. Right now I’m considering a bottle type reactor off the back.

Setup Status:
Tank -
Lighting - Kessil A80 Tuna Blue x2 (Hydros Controlled)
Return - Jebao DCW 1500 / VCA Dual 1/4" RFG
Filtration - inTank Floss Holder w/ Floss, MediaPure Gems, Bubble Magnus MiniQ, AquaChar
Controller - Hydros x4 / XP8
Doser - Jebao Wifi 3.4 (not running)
ATO - Bottle, Hydros (not setup)

Livestock - Royal Gramma (12.3.22-)
Coral - none

OP
OP
ShaunMc

ShaunMc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Activity: December 4, 2022 - December 7 2022

I've been working to get the first inhabitant acclimated to the tank. So far this has gone well. He basically partially hides in the rock until the pumps turn off, at which time is darts out to look for food.

B12E6BBB-979B-4485-B8C2-DA6AD72E93B2_1_101_o.jpeg

I tested out a 3D printed overflow which I'm looking to use for water changes.

E0C71C97-8954-4CEF-90F4-647C6C2D762F_1_105_c.jpeg

I installed the ATO w/ a Hydros DC pump and water level sensor. I have a float switch, but I have to connect it to the controller by lengthening the cable.

0A0D5545-4273-4396-9B45-F8ACCD285820_1_105_c.jpeg

Then setup a phosban reactor w/ cheato. I had one of these reactors back in 2005-ish. Interesting to see they are still going strong.

I'm running this off a pump, but i'm just going to Y the main return. waiting on parts. then i'll work on a cover or move it to the back, but it fits perfect here on the side.

276F1907-E3CB-4F25-9329-76F892B2BEA9_1_102_a.jpeg

Diatoms have shown on the 6th, so I need to grab a clean up crew and get those guys going.

As for the pods, the setup has been working fine. I harvest a few tonight to put into the tank since the diatoms have arrived and the cheato reactor is running. Here is a post-harvest pic.

9603B11F-1DA4-475C-B425-D7CC3C79489F_1_105_c.jpeg

Lastly, I worked on the lighting setup for understanding the PAR ranges of the Kessil A80s.

For the most part there is little change with the color spectrum, give or take a PAR of 20. For now, I have 1 light slightly higher than the other. 4" and ~6". Basically these are getting PAR of 50-100 on the sand at those heights going to 50%-100% Intensity. The highest at the rock only a few inches from the surface at 250-350. I might raise them slightly, as i'm still figuring out what to place in the tank. Goal was a mixed reef with a few of each.

857DF2CA-D1CA-46BB-8E8D-CB41412871A8_1_105_c.jpeg

On to get a clean up crew. Hopefully looking to stop and pick that up tomorrow.

-Shaun

Setup Status:
Tank -
Lighting - Kessil A80 Tuna Blue x2 (Hydros Controlled)
Return - Jebao DCW 1500 / VCA Dual 1/4" RFG
Filtration - inTank Floss Holder w/ Floss, MediaPure Gems, Bubble Magnus MiniQ, AquaChar
Controller - Hydros x4 / XP8
Doser - Jebao Wifi 3.4 (not running)
ATO - Hydros DC Pump & Sensor
Refugium - Two Little Fishes 150 reactor w/ Cheato, led grow lights

Livestock - Royal Gramma (12.3.22-)
Coral - none

V A R I A N T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m curious about the Photone app. Have you used the app to determine the kelvin range of your spectrum? How would you rate the app?

OP
OP
ShaunMc

ShaunMc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m curious about the Photone app. Have you used the app to determine the kelvin range of your spectrum? How would you rate the app?
I only purchased the blue/white LED at this time. I figured that $5.99 was worth the price to have insight into at least the PAR from this new setup. There isn't a lot of information about these lights that seems "trustworthy" and most (which I may be one of in the future) are running way more powerful setups on this system. The tank area is only about 14"x"13"x11" when you leave space and have sand, etc. The only reason I was going with two of these rather than a more powerful light at a higher height was that I can control them w/ hyrdos and they are passively cooled. A downside is that for the coverage and flexibility I desired, I need two. But I got both used (one local, one online).

With that said, I can look into the advanced features. I believe the level indicator would be nice and it did sometimes get placed into "HOLD". At the end of the day, I just needed something in the range of being accurate for planning. When I compare what info I can find online to this, I'm fairly confident in the readings.

Pro: Low cost for Par Meter. Good Feedback. Easy to implement and reuse.

Con: Size = Phone size) I have a iphone 13 pro max. that is a big "PAR meter" to place in a small tank to try to get readings. So something like an apogee would be "easier" to move around. Filter) You need a piece of printer paper to make this work and given you are placing it in a tank of water, then requires a clear waterproof case.

OP
OP
ShaunMc

ShaunMc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you happy with the DCW-1500 ? Much less cash than the IM pumps.
That pump has been great. it is quiet. It is more powerful than needed for this tank however. I'll have to get pictures but I basically tee that pump now for the return and cheato reactor just to have one less pump. If on full it will overflow the emergency as the tanks main overflow can't handle the a 400 gph rate (in my experience).

This or the IM were no difference to me, because i'm using a hydros controller to turn them on/off. So since I can't adjust the flow of either w/ the controller... The IM is a small footprint. But this fits. It currently use about 4.7w (37mA) set halfway. This was $49.

tydeck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That pump has been great. it is quiet. It is more powerful than needed for this tank however. I'll have to get pictures but I basically tee that pump now for the return and cheato reactor just to have one less pump. If on full it will overflow the emergency as the tanks main overflow can't handle the a 400 gph rate (in my experience).

This or the IM were no difference to me, because i'm using a hydros controller to turn them on/off. So since I can't adjust the flow of either w/ the controller... The IM is a small footprint. But this fits. It currently use about 4.7w (37mA) set halfway. This was $49.
Thanks. I have the im 538 in my other IM15. I’m running it at 444gph. Works great on my setup. I use the slipstream and love it. I may save some cash and use it somewhere else with the tank.

OP
OP
ShaunMc

ShaunMc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I have the im 538 in my other IM15. I’m running it at 444gph. Works great on my setup. I use the slipstream and love it. I may save some cash and use it somewhere else with the tank.
your tank overflow handles the 444 gph? this jebao is rated at 400, but my IM15 overflow can't handle it full way. The stock pump was not efficient and loud (imo). i think any mighty jet and even this jebao are way better options.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 153 61.4%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 67 26.9%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 87 34.9%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 43 17.3%
  • Other

Votes: 67 26.9%

Back