tydeck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A
your tank overflow handles the 444 gph? this jebao is rated at 400, but my IM15 overflow can't handle it full way. The stock pump was not efficient and loud (imo). i think any mighty jet and even this jebao are way better options.

No issues wide open. The Tank seems it can handle over 500gph for me

Fapman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Vision Development Cont'd:

Livestock. Currently i'm considering two clowns (widebar gladiator / naked). In the past, I had a kole tang, rock beauty angel, percs, six line, lawnmower, longnose hawkfish and a cleaner. I'm still on the fence between two clowns or going with a few smaller (example: prawn goby, rainford, mini dart, sharknose goby, tailspot, gramma) fish. I will run snails, probably not crabs or a shrimp.

Activity: November 25, 2022 - November 30, 2022

Once the ammonia cycled out, I did go ahead and drop 85% of the water. It is easy to do in a small tank. I also replaced the stock pump with a Jebao DCW 1500 with VCA Nano Dual RFG.

7DC55E35-DBF2-41C2-A72A-2EC38F909097_1_105_c.jpeg

I just velcro'd the control beside the hygger for now.

2AEDDBA1-4F19-4A63-A6E3-40020E6E657F_1_105_c.jpeg

This pump is quiet, but also too much for this tank w/ the current overflow design. With the high tide riser, you can only run it about half way. If you drop the riser, it will actually keep up close to the full power, but even if the riser is on the lowest setting, the emergency overflow will see some action.

I didn't change the stock tube, which is small for the pump outlets. I just snuggly pushed the tube inside one of the the outlet options and it is working fine. That helps reduce flow a bit. All that said, the pump is an improvement over the stock. You do get some flexibility with how much water you want to run through the filtration. At this time, I have it set at 3-5 and the hygger just always on random.

I did try this pump with the SpinStream and it works, but that was still loud for me. I swapped in the dual rfg and I think this is where we are going to stay.

At this point, I wish I had the controller setup so that I can watch the tank for a bit to prepare for livestock.

As I'm waiting on the controller power, I worked on the side project. copepods.

Now, I'm not looking to create sustainable, redundant, culturing. But I am interested in maximizing my investment in them. So my thoughts were to create a vessel that I could place them in and extract over time. I'm still waiting on the shipment of 3 types, but here is the setup.

9CF1D762-80CC-4E23-BFD3-A82DECE7C448_1_105_c.jpeg

I took one of the three 1.5l dosing containers with a small usb air pump and a control valve. i have clean saltwater, a couple biomedia and a drop of bottle bac. I created sieves from 2" pvc repair couple and a bushing. These sieves set right on lid opening perfectly.

1D86FA20-5AAB-424E-82B5-3D175F530F2C_1_105_c.jpeg

I actually also have 3 small usb driven pumps w/ a hole in each lid as I found that I could cycle water using them up and into the sieve w/o then ever having to insert anything into the water. but im not sure that the simple baster method isn't better.

There is still quite a bit of air exiting the open valve, so I think i will also setup 1 phyto bottle. Again, not for sustainability, but this is a first go at this process.

Maybe the next update, I'll have a XP8 and cable clean up.

BD231D13-05C4-46FF-B1E1-D409AFFB4B69_1_102_a.jpeg

Setup Status:
Tank -
Innovative Marine Fusion 15 AIO Cube, Mesh Screen, HighTide Riser
Habitat - Aqua Forest AF Rock, Oceans Direct LiveSand
Stand - 15" Cabinet Modified, Painted black
Return - Stock IM 130 gph pump / Spin Stream, Jebao DCW 1500 / VCA Dual 1/4" RFG
Flow - Hygger Minii Wave 1600gph
Filtration - inTank Floss Holder w/ Floss, MediaPure Gems, Bubble Magnus MiniQ (off), AquaChar
Controller/Doser - Hydros x4 (waiting for XP8), Jebao Wifi 3.4 (not running)
I have same tank but still have stock return pump will be copying you with your selection the return. I have the same wave maker what settings do you use? Ive been running the random flow settings

edit.. Saw that you have them set to random..

I saw that you had to modify the return pump, could you go into detail about this? I wanted to grab a stronger pump and potentially the same as you.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ShaunMc

ShaunMc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have same tank but still have stock return pump will be copying you with your selection the return. I have the same wave maker what settings do you use? Ive been running the random flow settings

I saw that you had to modify the return pump, could you go into detail about this? I wanted to grab a stronger pump and potentially the same as you.

I decided on the Jebao DCW1500 because of the reviews and footprint. it was only $49 on Amazon. It has been great. I don’t adjust it. It sets at half way at which it runs under 5 watts (4.7 avg).

4523B884-6193-4B19-871E-FC4399C9EBF8.png

After I installed it, I wanted to reduce having a pump just for the Cheato reactor. A decade ago I had a 29 gallon refugium. I don’t know that I really need one for this tank but it was successful in the past.

Since I could not run the Jebao at full flow, I bought the following from aquacave.com:

PL-TUB-1/2ID-B1/2" ID (5/8" OD) Flexible BLACK Tubing, per foot
1​
PL-TUB-3/4ID-B3/4" ID (1" OD) Flexible BLACK Tubing, per foot
1​
PL-HBF-YR1Reducing Y Hose Barb Connector 0.75" x 0.5" x 0.5"
1​

This will be about $20 with shipping. I run the 3/4” tubing from the pump up maybe 8-9”. I’d have to pull out to check. It does bend a little to help align the tee for the tubing to connect to the display return barb. Then the other side loops into the reactor. I could not run it the other way as the tubing is too rigid. It is possible I could adjust it but I have the light arm. ATO return. Sensors so it loops up and back. It’s late, so maybe I can take better pictures later. Clear tube is ATO. Tube to valve is from the tee barb. Other tube from reactor is the drain.

DD4D85C9-717C-4BD6-9586-2EDC2E55E3B0.jpeg

OP
OP
ShaunMc

ShaunMc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I do have the Hygger Wave set to random. I wish you could adjust it to say 40% up to 80% or something like that on random. Like have a ceiling. I have also ran it on continuous wave and adjusted the intensity to ramp up and then down at night. It is something I’ll have to spend more time on when I get corals. But random is just east.

OP
OP
ShaunMc

ShaunMc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I decided on the Jebao DCW1500 because of the reviews and footprint. it was only $49 on Amazon. It has been great. I don’t adjust it. It sets at half way at which it runs under 5 watts (4.7 avg).

4523B884-6193-4B19-871E-FC4399C9EBF8.png

After I installed it, I wanted to reduce having a pump just for the Cheato reactor. A decade ago I had a 29 gallon refugium. I don’t know that I really need one for this tank but it was successful in the past.

Since I could not run the Jebao at full flow, I bought the following from aquacave.com:

PL-TUB-1/2ID-B1/2" ID (5/8" OD) Flexible BLACK Tubing, per foot
1​
PL-TUB-3/4ID-B3/4" ID (1" OD) Flexible BLACK Tubing, per foot
1​
PL-HBF-YR1Reducing Y Hose Barb Connector 0.75" x 0.5" x 0.5"
1​

This will be about $20 with shipping. I run the 3/4” tubing from the pump up maybe 8-9”. I’d have to pull out to check. It does bend a little to help align the tee for the tubing to connect to the display return barb. Then the other side loops into the reactor. I could not run it the other way as the tubing is too rigid. It is possible I could adjust it but I have the light arm. ATO return. Sensors so it loops up and back. It’s late, so maybe I can take better pictures later. Clear tube is ATO. Tube to valve is from the tee barb. Other tube from reactor is the drain.

DD4D85C9-717C-4BD6-9586-2EDC2E55E3B0.jpeg

used a water change to drain the back, clean out some sand/detris. Here is a better shot of the return and tee.
F8D5F1F6-1220-4510-A05B-0E4632124203.jpeg

OP
OP
ShaunMc

ShaunMc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A

No issues wide open. The Tank seems it can handle over 500gph for me
If I remove the hightide riser and run it open, it seems fine. No emergency overflow used. But my return now feeds a cheato reactor as well. Placing the high tide riser on makes it overflow, even on the lowest setting. (Makes sense as I’m reducing the overflow capacity). But it is nice to have the water spilling over into the filter floss instead of hover over it. It is possible to bypass the filter floss if the water level is too high with this InTank holder. So for now, I have the high tide riser installed and the pump at 50–60%.

OP
OP
ShaunMc

ShaunMc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dealing with some cloudy water. Which I believe to be bacteria as I dose with dr Tim’s/fritz/mb to start the tank. I assume it will correct in time, or if I wanted I could run a uv for a bit. Not sure. Changed out 3 gallons.

I have adjusted the MiniQ a few times and so far it skims to about this consistency. A couple times slightly heavier. Might take some time to become more consistent.
0A1FFB84-AF2B-45A8-9012-F9EF4FD2B960.jpeg

OP
OP
ShaunMc

ShaunMc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Livestock:
1 Royal Gramma, 2 Nassaurius snails, 3 Bumblebee snails, 2 rock flower anemones

Maintenance:

I use a small cup (in picture) to replace skimmer water with new saltwater when I clean it. This has been daily.

I marked some stackable 3 gallons jugs from Walmart at 10 Liters and use them for water changes. I pump display water into one and then pour in the new. This past change I cleaned out the back of the AIO. Weekly.

I have harvested pods weekly (thousands) from the trio culture and the 1 phyto 4 times since it started. I fill the 16oz phyto leaving maybe 200-250ml in the culture 1L smartwater. Add new saltwater (1.015) and fertilizer.
D6C019B4-AD81-4721-A4B8-1B45AF28D9CA.jpeg

I have to change the filter floss every ~4 days. I need to get more livestock (fish) to eat because it is hard to feed 1 fish. I can only break Rods Food so small, lol.

I have yet to harvest cheato. The reactor was started with just a handful and it’s maybe 60% full. I think I’ll have to in late Jan at this rate.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ShaunMc

ShaunMc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Activity: December 20, 2022 - December 30, 2022

I received my replacement Hydros Control x4 and installed it. The 2nd probe port on the first one didn't work. Took a bit of work to install, firmware update, and add the new device in place of the other. But all is well on the controller front.

I picked up a Pink Streaked Wrasse, a couple more bumblebee snails (they are active little guys) and the first corals for the tank. So we are into Reefing. Here is a video of the little wrasse for which it appears i'll have to watch the royal gramma. She might be a diva.

I'll have to invest in a filter for the iphone.

Bad pictures:

C18F255C-015B-423A-A4FE-FE8906964B28.jpeg

0101E2DE-C758-4403-B5D2-F9A6C6C9D16E.jpeg

B0F447B5-226E-41DF-9574-A5BA98698E44.jpeg

D62151E6-CAE0-49DE-8460-A36432D3F1CC.jpeg

Setup Status:

Tank -
Innovative Marine Fusion 15 AIO Cube, Mesh Screen, HighTide Riser
Stand - 15" Cabinet Modified, Painted black
Lighting - Kessil A80 Tuna Blue x2 (Hydros Controlled)
Return - Jebao DCW 1500 / VCA Dual 1/4" RFG
Flow - Hygger Minii Wave 1600gph
Filtration - inTank Floss Holder w/ Floss, MediaPure Gems, Bubble Magnus MiniQ, AquaChar
Controller - Hydros x4 / XP8
Doser - Jebao Wifi 3.4 (not running)
ATO - Hydros DC Pump & Sensor
Refugium - Two Little Fishes 150 reactor w/ Cheato, led grow lights

Habitat - Aqua Forest AF Rock, Oceans Direct LiveSand
Livestock - Royal Gramma (12.3.22-), 2 Nassarius snails (12.11,22-), 3 Bumblebee snails (12.11.22/12.22.22-), 2 Rock Flower Anemones (12.22.22-), Pink Streaked Wrasse (12.29.22-)
Coral - Frogspawn (12.30.22-),Grafted Monti(12.30.22-), Green Monti(12.30.22-), Alvepora(12.30.22-)

Last edited:
OP
OP
ShaunMc

ShaunMc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Testing:​

Currently running a channel on the doser to a empty cup for testing. Might be a while before I’ll need it. Started a google sheet for tracking this early testing.

32BE14A7-D0F4-4EC9-98C1-C2C2C817667B.jpeg

So far the Pink streaked wrasse hangs out in the cave on the left and the Gramma in the upper one on the right. Both eat fine. Pods all on the glass from what I have been cultivating.

I did have my first phyto crash. I should have harvested it Friday. Restarted it today but I only had about 50ml left. The Alvepora and one rock flower are still working on getting settled. I had the Alve in the lower middle. Just to the right of where it is now. I tried low direct light and now the indirect light. Still working on flow. I almost wish there were micro wave pumps. The Hygger goes down to 40%. I think so far the tank isn’t mad when it is just the Jebao return running. Flow might be one of the issues with a small mixed reef.

4D8095B5-0494-48FE-9FB0-8F5A73F711B2.gif

OP
OP
ShaunMc

ShaunMc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still in collecting mode, but I think I finished. I have Zoas to place onto a rock at bottom to grow out. Might get 1 or two more. I have monti frags to add to the upper level and back wall. A frogspawn and orange hammer for right shelf and lastly cyphastrea for the rocks under the over hang.

I added the last fish, court jester goby.

98B32B66-826E-4E29-8788-99F72ECCE090.jpeg

CA53D285-88C4-4B2F-AEB2-5844845E8020.jpeg

0FFDC6E0-07CA-4AAF-8BAB-154593E9F38B.jpeg

Basically, I’m hopeful to transition all these pieces into their “place” over the next couple weeks.

DDC20BDB-FF59-4232-A2EE-25F9D7F4E076.jpeg

OP
OP
ShaunMc

ShaunMc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nano is still doing well. Really I just need to get some feeding schedule down.

Sp’s Fluval Evo 5 Pico Coming:
Since I had extra stuff from the nano setup got a Fluval Evo 5 for my home desk and put the extra sand/rock and bottle ATO on it. Rock flowers were ordered on Jan 2. There a few weeks out. I’d like the stock light a little more blue so maybe I’ll add a gel but it measures 140 par at the rocks. Should work well for a very low effort setup.

I still have a couple rocks left from the AF Rock box…

35FDBFC4-AA27-44D2-8ABD-1833332248C7.jpeg

jman4x

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never thought to add a second tuna blue onto my 15 I just may do so! Love the tank so far coming along nicely!!

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 32 60.4%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 13 24.5%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 9.4%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 1.9%
Back