Sps keeps bleaching /stn got my icp tests.. Maybe you see something wrong here?

Arturs Millers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello so my sps been stn for some time now.. I, finally got my results back from my icp. Could anyone look into it and check maybe there something specific what could cause that.
The only thing what i didn't like was 0 iodine.

Here is ndoc

OP
OP
A

Arturs Millers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No idea, as there's nothing in that ICP test. As typical with these test, and why I never suggest them.

Sorry I can't be much more help.
Could the longterm 0 iodine cause the sps stn some even rtn from tips?

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What lights are you running? I had issues with SPS for a long time running 3 Kessil A160s over a 36x24 90 gallon display. PAR showed good(400 at the top of the tank, 300 at the rocks and 150 on the sand) but never could keep them they would just slowly fade, then STN or even RTN. I upgraded to an AP700 and I've got several pieces doing well now.

OP
OP
A

Arturs Millers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What lights are you running? I had issues with SPS for a long time running 3 Kessil A160s over a 36x24 90 gallon display. PAR showed good(400 at the top of the tank, 300 at the rocks and 150 on the sand) but never could keep them they would just slowly fade, then STN or even RTN. I upgraded to an AP700 and I've got several pieces doing well now.
Im runing radions g4 pro ab + at 70% overall intensity plus 2xt5 54w ati blue. My par is arround 300 top and 100-150 bottom.

Ratherbeflyen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you using any coral food? After seeing the BRS trial on Brightwell coral amino, I started adding 3ml's to my tank and it has made a difference in my SPS.

(Skip the first ~10 minutes.)

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could the longterm 0 iodine cause the sps stn some even rtn from tips?

I also had zero Iodine but sticks were fine. My duncan is the only who seems to care about Iodine. That said, I do dose some Lugol's now to keep ~.06.

So like Homer, I think we need to keep looking.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did not pick these up in the Triton test:

dkh?
NO3?
Age of system?
Live/dead rock start?
Typical time lapse before first STN visible
STN from the top down or bottom up?
Dip process
What stonies are you able to keep alive?

Personally, your PO4 is low for my taste. I don't go below .05.

Whasmack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with above - looks like your nutrients are on the lower end of the spectrum.
Possibly try some Aminos / Reef roids for food.

There's some elements that are low, but I doubt that would cause STN. (Strontium, Barium, Bromine, Iodine, Molyb.) But you never know!

What are your nitrates? Also - pictures of STN / RTN

OP
OP
A

Arturs Millers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you using any coral food? After seeing the BRS trial on Brightwell coral amino, I started adding 3ml's to my tank and it has made a difference in my SPS.

(Skip the first ~10 minutes.)

I was using aminos, reef roids some fauna marine coral food but i stopped just to get to the problem because even when i was dosing i still had problem.

OP
OP
A

Arturs Millers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did not pick these up in the Triton test:

dkh?
NO3?
Age of system?
Live/dead rock start?
Typical time lapse before first STN visible
STN from the top down or bottom up?
Dip process
What stonies are you able to keep alive?

Personally, your PO4 is low for my taste. I don't go below .05.
Dkh on my salifer says 7.8 but triton n doc says 6.8
No3 2.5-5
Age arround 2 years
Eem live rock is more than 3 years old i upgraded from smaller system.

All this problem started when i started to rise my no3 and po4, my tank was running ulns 0 no3 and po4. sps was looking allright but there was almost no growth and ofc had some dino issue time to time so i decided to rise my no3 po4 and all this happened, but thats been a while ago.. All the parameters been stable for 2month i haven't change anything since then. Bought few test frags 1 have rtn 2 off them is stn only 1 off them loooks more less ok.

Before that most of the sps would stay alive the only sps how looks still fine is stylopora milka and few montiporas

But at the same time few montiporas ar still stn.

Oh and plus in past week i have seen some cyano growth.

OP
OP
A

Arturs Millers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with above - looks like your nutrients are on the lower end of the spectrum.
Possibly try some Aminos / Reef roids for food.

There's some elements that are low, but I doubt that would cause STN. (Strontium, Barium, Bromine, Iodine, Molyb.) But you never know!

What are your nitrates? Also - pictures of STN / RTN
Here is one picture of the recent frag what i got ( like 2 or 3 weeks ago)
IMG_20200331_201557.jpg

Just did a test on par it sits arround 200 par at peak

Last edited:

Whasmack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suppose go back to basics - you could dose to get elements up, but a couple of large water changes should bring those elements back in line - (Strontium, Molydenum, Barium, Bromine - I'd be more concerned about Strontium & Moly being that low).

And you have ruled out any pests? (Doesn't look pest related, but you never know)
Do you run Carbon or GFO?

What aminos have you tried? Just asking - I always advise Red Sea Reef Energy A&B because of an issue I had about a year ago.

OP
OP
A

Arturs Millers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suppose go back to basics - you could dose to get elements up, but a couple of large water changes should bring those elements back in line - (Strontium, Molydenum, Barium, Bromine - I'd be more concerned about Strontium & Moly being that low).

And you have ruled out any pests? (Doesn't look pest related, but you never know)
Do you run Carbon or GFO?

What aminos have you tried? Just asking - I always advise Red Sea Reef Energy A&B because of an issue I had about a year ago.
I did red sea years ago then i switched to polyp lab 200, and last what i tried and really liked was fauna marine..
Actually im starting to think maybe its pests but then my guess would be what could kill acros and montiporas at the same time and even some other like like pavona and one more but forgot what its called.. The only pest what i could think off is flat worm. And acropora eating flat worms are normaly quite big em i right?

I carbon dose vodka but just 1ml a day in my 1200l system. I dont know why but i think it helps for sps in some way and ofc feeds the bacteria.

Ratherbeflyen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About the only thing I can think of would be some kind of toxin. Is someone spaying windex around your tank? Any livestock die or disappear that can release something?

OP
OP
A

Arturs Millers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About the only thing I can think of would be some kind of toxin. Is someone spaying windex around your tank? Any livestock die or disappear that can release something?
No every one i the house knows that near this room is forbidden to use any spray and stuff. Eem 2 weeks ago i lost one off my clows but i think it was stung by my foxface.. Rest off the fish looks fine. Tome to time i loose few snails.

OP
OP
A

Arturs Millers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok i just did a dip on few corals and this is what i got really few of these flat worms was on these corals .. and their are super tiny i would say 0.2mm something like that .

P3310144.jpg P3310146.jpg P3310149.jpg P3310150.jpg P3310151.jpg

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 18 29.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 51 83.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.9%
Back