SPS look healthy but lack white growth tips...

Dallascowboys16

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The title of this thread is pretty self explanatory. I have a handful of SPS in my 10 gallon reef which include Montipora Undata, Pocillopora sp., and Seriatopora Hystrix (birds nest). I have pretty good polyp extension and general health, color is ok (could be better), and growth seems to be boom or bust. I have noticed in the last few months my corals have been lacking the white growth tips they used to have even though my care routine is pretty much the same. Alkalinity hovers right at 7.8-8 almost every time I test, Calcium is in the 550+ range, magnesium is 1500, and I just got an ICP test back saying everything is pretty much ideal other than slightly low potassium and slightly high lithium (which according to pretty much everyone does not matter and is a common result in most tanks). Tank health overall seems pretty good right now with everything finally rebounding after a pretty bad tank crash around 6 months ago. Any advice on what could be causing the lack of growth tips? Thank you so much for any input and help. :)

(Also, I know calcium and magnesium are high but according to most sources this isn't a big deal? I use IO reef crystals so it drives the mag pretty high. Could also use come guidance there.)

Last edited:

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you running a ATO on this tank? With a tank this size, stability is one of the biggest hurdles.

CCauthers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first reaction is that the high ca and mg are inhibiting calcification. Are you seeing growth?

OP
OP
Dallascowboys16

Dallascowboys16

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you running a ATO on this tank? With a tank this size, stability is one of the biggest hurdles.

I am running an ATO as well as automated 2 part dosing. Salinity and ALK/calcium seem to stay very stable according to my testing.

My first reaction is that the high ca and mg are inhibiting calcification. Are you seeing growth?

I didn't realize that is something that could result from high ca/mg. I have not had success growing coralline algae in this tank post-crash despite stable parameters and growth seems to have stalled out for a while now even though the corals appear healthy otherwise.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.2%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 29 16.7%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back