sps no polyps but flesh still there

GSnake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so i got a JF flame frag about a month and a half ago and I have never seen the polyps on this acro, from this particular seller, the flesh is reddish and still there. Is this .. normal / healthy / ok? or is it like dying slowly or something. sps polyps are usually visible on most of my frags at least. more than a month without polyps is sort of worrying me. input pls?

my walt disney frag has not been exhibiting its polyps for the past three days too, and i became surprised.. but only had this frag for 2 weeks.

i dont notice any difference in the night time, and other frags are exhibiting their polyps regularly.

SamsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
JF flame fox does not get large polyp extensions like some tenuis.

Walt Disney on the other hand is hairy. There are a lots of reason why acros might have show polyp extension and it’s impossible to list them all. A good starting point would be to provide details about tank, water parameter, it’s inhabitants, flow, lighting. If the basics checks out, then it’s worth looking into pests, stray current, etc…

sam

OP
OP
GSnake

GSnake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tests from yesterday alk 8.1, cal 435, mg 1600, no3 1-2, po4 .04.
I guess a recovery could take more time. Months maybe? As long as flesh is there right. Regarding my fox flame...
My Walt however I think I may have stressed out.. I put Saran plastic wrap on the top of my tank for a few days after my wrasse was jumpy. In the mean time I ordered a mesh top, and lost an sps frag (out of 15) probably due to heat? and less evaporation I noticed. I replaced it with bird mesh netting till I get my screen in the mail.

My thoughts are corals recover from heat stress usually right? If that's the real cause that is.

SamsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
In my experience it takes 6+ weeks of good stable parameter to bring the coral back to its health.
Parameters look ok. Mag is of course high. Now sure why. What is your salinity. It might be worth getting an ICP test done once yo make sure you are tearing the parameters correctly and the refractometer is calibrated.

sam

OP
OP
GSnake

GSnake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im trying to get my mag down through water changes and not dosing extra mg. .. i had it higher before to fight off byropsis , which i ended up using fluconazole instead , worked like a charm .. no GHA or byropsis anymore. Now only to deal with this turf algae lol. controlling phosphates with gfo and manually plucking for now.
salinity is.. checking right now... 1.0265 or roughly 36ppt. calibrated using rodi and various vendors water and reported numbers for reference checks.

OP
OP
GSnake

GSnake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have nothing but time for these SPS.. i will be patient and hope they recover !

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tenuis don't show a lot of polyp extension either. I've never really figured out why. Most grow like weeds like this 2 year old Walt Disney, but day or night I don't get much more PE than you see here.

IMG-5324.jpg

guylaga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Already discussed above but my FoxFlame has the tiniest polyps I have ever seen on a coral.

Had it for about 6 months and just now its getting the red color back instead of being brown. Its very finicky in my experience.

OP
OP
GSnake

GSnake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's my flame and wd. Both no polyps but flesh still there.

Attachments

• IMG_20210725_110214.jpg
    IMG_20210725_110214.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_20210725_110146.jpg
    IMG_20210725_110146.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 98
OP
OP
GSnake

GSnake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tenuis don't show a lot of polyp extension either. I've never really figured out why. Most grow like weeds like this 2 year old Walt Disney, but day or night I don't get much more PE than you see here.

IMG-5324.jpg
Looks good to me. I've seen other wd with crazy polyp extension.. are you feeding coral sps foods? Maybe reef roids or something will get them to come out more.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good to me. I've seen other wd with crazy polyp extension.. are you feeding coral sps foods? Maybe reef roids or something will get them to come out more.
Thank you. I keep hoping it will pull some yellow color and some PE. It is in about 360-390 PAR with a lot of flow. In fact flow could be an issue holding it back. It is random reef crest from both sides but fairly strong.

I don't feed any SPS foods, just lots of fish poo. I have used Roids in the past but never noticed much change from it. But I might try that on occasion after lights out.

Hincapiej4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are not getting extension, should also check for red bugs. Might not kill it, but will slow growth and decrease extension.

OP
OP
GSnake

GSnake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Big mistake. You took away the ability of gas exchange and multiplied the storage of C02. Bet your PH tanked.
Yup it definitely had an impact, even my kalk dosing couldn't keep pH high enough, or it was just the change / swing in parameters itsf that caused the stress.
you might need to take a bit clearer of an image but i think both of those sps are already fully dead
The second frag is definitely dead and the first one looks like it is too.
I will get more pictures tonight under different lighting for clarity. But the color of flesh is still definitely there, just no polyps and tips a little burnt. I am on the fence about it being dead

tp5056

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Frags look tiny and pics aren't the greatest ... can't see what's going on with the flesh but doesn't look good.

Did you dip these frags?

OP
OP
GSnake

GSnake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I didn't dip, haven't seen any signs of pests on any sps I have so far. Plus I have dragonettes and wrasses that would probably end up eating them if I had any. There was a clear stress response after the plastic wrap. 2 frags ended up white and these two, no polyps anymore.

The wd , when I got it, had polyps but was a very dark green . Not fluorescent.. my vendor actually had been moving houses and I got a few frags recently that were not like the pictures. Here is under white. Then blue with oj lens filter.
The last is fox under white
IMG_20210730_214954.jpg IMG_20210730_214815.jpg IMG_20210730_215018.jpg

elorablue

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is your tank glass really dirty? Can’t see much of anything with these pics but the last one looks covered in algae ? I dunno dude.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they have algae growing on them. those are definitely dead, sorry

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back