SPS , po4,and dosing NEOPHOS

Joedubyk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is the SPS forum, but, I rather here from SPS keepers given my tank is SPS dom and the husbandry isn't quite the same for LPS/softie tanks.

Long story short, I made the dumb mistake of adding GFO to a tank that was doing more than fine. Fast forward of probably at least a few months of too low phosphate levels and my acros are paying for it big time.

Here's the question.... I'm reading the instructions for NEOphos. Im dosing a **** TON (40ml) per day in a 525L tank (108G) and I'm still barely getting po4 to register on a red sea test kit. Im on day 3 of adding 40ml. Is that something others have experienced w/ this product?

Miller535

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never had sps, so I can not speak to that. But I have seen others post on here who had long term PO4 deprived tanks, that for the first while the sand and rock will absorb the PO4. I have a 125 gallon tank, and I am currently dosing Neophos. I was dosing .06ppm for almost a week to just maintain a a PO4 of .03ppm. Now it seems to be leveling out some.

OP
OP
J

Joedubyk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never had sps, so I can not speak to that. But I have seen others post on here who had long term PO4 deprived tanks, that for the first while the sand and rock will absorb the PO4. I have a 125 gallon tank, and I am currently dosing Neophos. I was dosing .06ppm for almost a week to just maintain a a PO4 of .03ppm. Now it seems to be leveling out some.

Great, thats useful, thank you!

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do not add phosphate unless you have a Hannah Ultra Low Phosphorous checker. This is the only tool that is granular enough to do the job. The others are an OK swag, but not good enough to support a dosing regiment with any kind of accuracy.

Also, read up and understand how aragonite binds to phosphate. By dosing, you are mostly just filling your rocks and sand up with phosphate.

Once you have the tools and understand what is actually happening in your tank, then you can decide if you want to do this, and then how much. This is not something to just be done with no consequences.

OP
OP
J

Joedubyk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do not add phosphate unless you have a Hannah Ultra Low Phosphorous checker. This is the only tool that is granular enough to do the job. The others are an OK swag, but not good enough to support a dosing regiment with any kind of accuracy.

Also, read up and understand how aragonite binds to phosphate. By dosing, you are mostly just filling your rocks and sand up with phosphate.

Once you have the tools and understand what is actually happening in your tank, then you can decide if you want to do this, and then how much. This is not something to just be done with no consequences.

Fair enough, but, my tank was literally DYING without phosphates. all SPS constantly had their feeders out and were paling out. I even lost a few pieces. Some pieces I THINK will be ok now. But only after I added aminos and phos the past few days.. AND I run a bb tank.

sunnyc90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I pretty sure the instructions state on the NEOphos that if you are not seeing an increase in phosphate then you need to dose REEF BIOFUEL or any carbon source. Just my 2 cent.

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Agree with this 100%. +1 on the Hanna ULR personally the red sea kit makes a good paper weight.

ryshark

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Is there any reason to get the Hannah Ultra Low Phosporous checker instead of the Hannah Ultra Low Phosphate Checker? Or is it the same thing just different measurements? PPB vs PPM

Reef man 89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The phosphorus check has a small testing window so it’s more accurate at lower numbers

ryshark

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The phosphorus check has a small testing window so it’s more accurate at lower numbers
Are you sure Hanna didn't come out with a newer more accurate ULR version of the Phosphate Checker? It looks like their original phosphate checker didn't say "ULR" on it and the range was 0-2.5 and the ULR Phosphate says range is 0-0.90.
I was looking at the 2-types here: https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/aquarium-monitors-controllers/hanna-checker.html
BRS doesn't even have their video on the page of the ULR phosphate checker and the video on the ULR phosphourus shows a different labeled checker.
ULR Phosphourus Checker says the range as 0-0.60 which is still a little better than 0-0.90, but much closer than 0-2.5 (which I'm assuming is an old version of the Phosphate Checker??? and wont have to do a math equation.
I plan on buying a Checker today, I'm going to look into this a little more, good timing. I'm glad I saw this thread

Reef man 89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t know they came out with a new. That would be great if they did so you wouldn’t have to do the math conversation.

ryshark

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t know they came out with a new. That would be great if they did so you wouldn’t have to do the math conversation.
I didn't know that either, but after looking around a bit more, I believe they did. From my understanding, now it is pretty much the same as the ULR phosphorus, but like you said, don't have to do the the math.

BYU

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
get the phosphorous
its pretty easy to figure out and def more consistent
i also made the mistake and overdosed phosban like a year ago.
nitrates and phosphates dropped too fast, things took time but now eveything is doing pretty good

Skynyrd Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feed more. A lot more. Stop dosing neophos. Your headed for a disaster. Trust me I know. More fish, and more fish food are always the best answer. You can add a bit of flake or pellet food to the feedings. These have a bit more po4 in them. Don’t forget if you add fish to qt.

OP
OP
J

Joedubyk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feed more. A lot more. Stop dosing neophos. Your headed for a disaster. Trust me I know. More fish, and more fish food are always the best answer. You can add a bit of flake or pellet food to the feedings. These have a bit more po4 in them. Don’t forget if you add fish to qt.

Yeah I wish I had figured out the problem sooner. I thought it was my lights paling out the corals -- it wasn't. My tank is stil struggling a lot, but it seems to be turning around. I have been feeding super heavy frozen food.......Fingers crossed...

Back