SPS Pros - are my frags looking healthy? (Video)

sanzz18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have another set of SPS frags that I will be mounting soon. I just wanted to see if you guys think they are looking good or if anything looks wrong. I know the monti grafted cap isnt looking too hot, but I care more about the acros.

Let me know what you guys think.

OP
OP
sanzz18

sanzz18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the rack = green slimer, generic bluish/green tort, oregon tort (x2), tigers blood, hawkins echinata, fox flame, pink caddy, purple sanjay, pink floyd, digi, grafted monti cap, and PC rainbow.

Gatorpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have another set of SPS frags that I will be mounting soon. I just wanted to see if you guys think they are looking good or if anything looks wrong. I know the monti grafted cap isnt looking too hot, but I care more about the acros.

look good.
Nice to see others get stray bubbles floating about

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol thanks. All those little white filaments other then the polyps are normal?
I did notice those. Some say that is a sign of stress. Others don't. I don't see those on my sticks very often.

Some might question why there isn't a little more polyp extension, but PE in my systems is limited on tenuis. They grow like mad, just no PE. A tad more at night, but not much.

OP
OP
sanzz18

sanzz18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did notice those. Some say that is a sign of stress. Others don't. I don't see those on my sticks very often.

Some might question why there isn't a little more polyp extension, but PE in my systems is limited on tenuis. They grow like mad, just no PE. A tad more at night, but not much.

Yeah I notice a little more polyp extension at night as well.

Interested in what more people think of my acros to curb my paranoia of another STN session haha.

OP
OP
sanzz18

sanzz18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No music?

Not
fancy yet lol

I honestly would be worried if my sticks looked like that. Thin tissue and no PE is a red flag in my experience

I don’t have no PE on everything. What pieced are you looking at s

By watching the video. I’m not trying to be rude. The tissue just looks paper thin compared to mine.

How do I do fix thin tissue? What would you do? At about 20 months of tank life, this seriously makes me just want to give up lol.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'm going to be a stick in the mud and say they could look happier... :( :) I see some mucus on the slimer and some tips beginning to bleach, one almost looks like the mesenterial filaments are out, it's hard to tell but I can tell most of the frags are new the glue is still clear, but who knows you would know better, is there something your worried about ? I like to leave them on the rack for a while and see if they perk up in my system. Are these the only ones in the system? Could just be new frag new system thing going on, no issue I wouldn't worry about it, they will probably be fine when they adjust to your system.

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not
fancy yet lol

I don’t have no PE on everything. What pieced are you looking at s

How do I do fix thin tissue? What would you do? At about 20 months of tank life, this seriously makes me just want to give up lol.
How long have you had the frags? Did they arrive looking like this? They may get healthier/happier if they’re pretty new….depending on the dynamics of your tank.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All look to be new frags to me, no basing out, and the glue is still clear.

Agree with @Charlie’s Frags(still don't know why your tag won't work properly?), I do see some bleaching at the tips,thin tissue(can see especially on the slimer where it's not a very dark green, but you can see the white skeleton underneath the green skin), but they may just need to adjust to your system if they are new frags.

Also I have found that with frags bouncing around on a rack, doesn't make for happy SPS. They like to be stable. Goes for pretty much any coral TBH.

If I have a plug that bounces around on my rack, just a small dab of super glue on the underside of the disk usually holds it in place until the coral can base out, and is still easy to removes later.

OP
OP
sanzz18

sanzz18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to be a stick in the mud and say they could look happier... :( :) I see some mucus on the slimer and some tips beginning to bleach, one almost looks like the mesenterial filaments are out, it's hard to tell but I can tell most of the frags are new the glue is still clear, but who knows you would know better, is there something your worried about ? I like to leave them on the rack for a while and see if they perk up in my system. Are these the only ones in the system? Could just be new frag new system thing going on, no issue I wouldn't worry about it, they will probably be fine when they adjust to your system.

I wanted brutal honesty though lol. Yes most of them were new cuts. My last set of SPS testers, only like two of six survived. One of those two has completely encrusted itself on the plug and now the rock, the other two is a oregon tort (not the ones on the rack), that began to STN and then stopped and has been recovering slowly with PE. My monti cap I think you can see in the background of the frag rack is thriving. They have been on the rack for 10 days or so, and was intending to keep them

How long have you had the frags? Did they arrive looking like this? They may get healthier/happier if they’re pretty new….depending on the dynamics of your tank.

Roughly 10-14 days. Most of them were new cuts. What would be your steps to trying to help the frags survive if you were in my situation?

CrunchyBananas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they all look pretty new and a bit stressed. If they were just added thats normal, but, if they've been in the tank a while, there may be a stressor. Has your alkalinity remained stable? what are your phosphates?

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted brutal honesty though lol. Yes most of them were new cuts. My last set of SPS testers, only like two of six survived. One of those two has completely encrusted itself on the plug and now the rock, the other two is a oregon tort (not the ones on the rack), that began to STN and then stopped and has been recovering slowly with PE. My monti cap I think you can see in the background of the frag rack is thriving. They have been on the rack for 10 days or so, and was intending to keep them

Roughly 10-14 days. Most of them were new cuts. What would be your steps to trying to help the frags survive if you were in my situation?
Could just be adjusting then. My advice for new frags and new sps systems in general is don’t over strip the water with too much carbon, gfo etc. Doesn’t matter what your po4 Hanna reader measures.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 34 29.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back