SPS QT Question for Jay (or anyone else that wants to chime in)

innovusaquaculture

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal
@Humblefish

Just curious as to your thoughts on this:

If I had an SPS colony in QT that had not reached it's 76 days yet and had someone that wanted a frag of it do you thin it would be safe to cut a piece of it mount it to a plug, transfer it to a pest free tank with fish (I keep all my systems at almost exactly the same parameters) to heal then give it to them? Or just give it to them directly to let them do with as they please.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal
@Humblefish

Just curious as to your thoughts on this:

If I had an SPS colony in QT that had not reached it's 76 days yet and had someone that wanted a frag of it do you thin it would be safe to cut a piece of it mount it to a plug, transfer it to a pest free tank with fish (I keep all my systems at almost exactly the same parameters) to heal then give it to them? Or just give it to them directly to let them do with as they please.
This isn’t really a yes/no situation, but more of accepting differing levels of risk….

How long has the SPS been in quarantine?
Did it come from a tank that had an active disease issue?

As you know, many people don’t isolate their corals at all. If I don’t see any active fish disease, I may hold the coral for only 30 days.
Jay

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put all my new frags/small colonies into my frag/lagoon system. They do not go into the display or are given to anyone until they encrust on the plug. This has worked well for me so far.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 129 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back