SPS slime when feeding tank

Landon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I alternate feeding the fish pellets and Rods. When preparing the Rods, I thaw it in a cup of tank water and then pour it through very small net into another cup. During feeding I dispense about 2-3 mls in the the 150 tank. As soon as. It goes in, a few sps colonies begin to release strings of mucus from the polyps.

What is causing this?

chort55

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine do the same when I feed a DIY food made by my LFS (that has alot of smaller particle foods for corals as well as larger pieces for fish), I believe this is actually like a feeder polyp that extends because it finds something good in the water.... but I am not positive. I came to this thought because it doesn't do it any time I feed pellets, flake, or even mysis.

Pkunk35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. I googled and found this, maybe you've already read:

Acropora feeding images. What I have learned/observed 6/16/2011 - Page 3 - 3reef Forums

Basically just another hobbyist having the same response but he is triggering it on purpose with the finest particles in rod's food. He seems to believe that it is indeed a feeding response and not just a defensive one. The strands that are released are mesenterial filaments from the acropora.

He does note that this response does not seem to harm the coral or be indicative of any problem.

I would be interested to hear if others here who have acropora have observed this mesenterial response and what foods they are feeding. I have a few frags and i do not get anywhere near a response as in the pics in the thread above. I also do not feed Rod's foods or similar...only occasional oyster feast, mysis, cyclops, and fauna pellets.

This makes me want to go buy finer particle food NOW.

Chris Villalobos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just saw my Acropora doing this when I fed reef chili and let the tank swirl it around for 10 minutes. I figured it must be a feeding response.

Livinlocal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My acros have always done this during heavy feeding. I believe it’s a feeding response from the coral but I remember reading somewhere that there is a certain type of worm that lives within the polyps and comes out only when it’s time to feed.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Some corals produce slime to trap food. They can bring this slime in. Kind of like a fishing net.

nashorn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, that's a feeding response. Usually from the base of the sps when there's less flow. The web is like the one from a Vermetid Worm but not as long.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not a pro on this, so take this FWIW. Most acropora expend a lot of energy to try and feed, either with slime or PE. They usually will only do this if they NEED to. Are they getting enough light? Are you driving nutrients too low in the water with GFO, organic carbon or LC?

PE can be tricky. Some PE is for gas exchange and not for feeding, but it all looks the same to us.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 108 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back