SPS Stuff I Find Interesting & I hope You Do Too

MrsBugmaster

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you trying to accomplish and what issues have you encountered, if any? If things are working for you, I'd leave it alone (although it certainly won't hurt to add live rock, as long as you're taking account of cycling/curing-related issues).

Things are not working, that's the problem and why I am looking for other solutions. I have a bad dino and algae outbreak that I finally got under control after after several months of trying different methods, but is now back again (Things I've tried: Dr tims, vodka & vinegar dosing, lights out, UV sterilizer, algae scrubber,which does great but still can't out compete with the DT, Reef Flux, just ordered some vibrant to try)180 gal FOWLR started with dry rock 7 years ago. I use a rodi unit but am on well water,which may be part of the problem. This is not my first tank and I have been in the hobby for 17 years. But this is my first tank using dry rock. I did not have these issues with other tanks using live rock. When I get all algae removed and under control my nitrates and phosphates go sky high, then algae returns and nitrates and phosphate go back down to more normal levels but tank is overrun with algae. Every rock is covered with algae!

OP
OP
R

Rick5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Things are not working, that's the problem and why I am looking for other solutions. I have a bad dino and algae outbreak that I finally got under control after after several months of trying different methods, but is now back again (Things I've tried: Dr tims, vodka & vinegar dosing, lights out, UV sterilizer, algae scrubber,which does great but still can't out compete with the DT, Reef Flux, just ordered some vibrant to try)180 gal FOWLR started with dry rock 7 years ago. I use a rodi unit but am on well water,which may be part of the problem. This is not my first tank and I have been in the hobby for 17 years. But this is my first tank using dry rock. I did not have these issues with other tanks using live rock. When I get all algae removed and under control my nitrates and phosphates go sky high, then algae returns and nitrates and phosphate go back down to more normal levels but tank is overrun with algae. Every rock is covered with algae!
That’s a bummer. If it were me, I’d replace all of the dry rock with live rock. That way you aren’t dealing with bound up nutrients being released, potentially.

If everything else is on point (husbandry-wise, etc.) live rock would be my next move.

MrsBugmaster

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a bummer. If it were me, I’d replace all of the dry rock with live rock. That way you aren’t dealing with bound up nutrients being released, potentially.

If everything else is on point (husbandry-wise, etc.) live rock would be my next move.
[/QUOTE

I don’t really want to replace all as I have many arches and bridge structures glued together. Not to mention the cost of replacing all.
40B19CBF-C459-4B8F-94D1-E5E1B43097F7.jpeg
74989461-6007-4C54-B164-5C2560EB714B.jpeg

OP
OP
R

Rick5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Understandable. If you don't have any coral, you could consider using lanthanum aggressively and urchins from Reeftopia.

ajm83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. Where did you source the rock from?

Just an LFS near by, it was sold as "premium Indonesian liverock". I've always used Caribsea Liferock or similar since then!

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 36.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 36 30.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 29 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back