SPS Tissue Loss and Recession with Macroalgae

ktn87

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently set up a DIY Algae Reactor with some LED strips and a media reactor. After a couple of weeks I started to notice recession around the base of my JF Fox Flame colony. There's also dead tissue where shadowing occurs and burnt tips.

The first thing that comes to mind is nitrate, the macroalgae is sucking it all up. However, I am dosing sodium nitrate and it is currently measured at 10-20ppm. And phosphate is currently sitting at .063 ppm. Alkalinity is at 7.2 .

The numbers seems ok so I'm at a loss. The only thing I can think of is trace elements, which I'm not measuring.

Anyone have experience with this issue?

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always dose iron. In articles written by Randy Holmes Farley, he said, “It would be difficult to overdose iron. Consider these two products.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    166.3 KB · Views: 22

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Arnielazo ,
I looked for a tank thread to get more background information like protein skimmer, activated carbon. What nutrient export mechanism are you currently using? How long has the tank been set up?

I know nothing about SPS. You may get better results posting in SPS forum.

Deep

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently set up a DIY Algae Reactor with some LED strips and a media reactor. After a couple of weeks I started to notice recession around the base of my JF Fox Flame colony. There's also dead tissue where shadowing occurs and burnt tips.

The first thing that comes to mind is nitrate, the macroalgae is sucking it all up. However, I am dosing sodium nitrate and it is currently measured at 10-20ppm. And phosphate is currently sitting at .063 ppm. Alkalinity is at 7.2 .

The numbers seems ok so I'm at a loss. The only thing I can think of is trace elements, which I'm not measuring.

Anyone have experience with this issue?
Definitely issue is not with nitrates. infact corals have very little need for it. How old is this tank ?
How stable have the parameters been ? Any swings in salinity ,Alk and temperature in the last few weeks ?
What are your calcium/mag/salinity levels ?

Could be lights ? What PAR are you running at ?
Could be AEFW/Bugs- can you take it out and dip/inspect ?

How about your other SPS/Acros ? Are they doing well ?

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 43 48.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 47 52.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 20 22.5%
  • None.

Votes: 23 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.1%
Back