SPS tissue necrosis: is this bacterial or parasitical? Please ID

Robert Binz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My green slimer frag is experiencing some die-off.

When I got it there was a purplish band on the coral (picture included). However, that band has melted off leaving skeleton. There are white bumps… I can’t tell if they are bleached polyps or something growing on the SPS (picture included). In the tank they look fuzzy but I can’t tell if they are extending feeding tentacles or just debris hanging off the skeleton.

Please check these out and give me your best general ID if possible.

My current plan of action is an iodine dip followed by supergluing over the “infected” region. My biggest concern is this spreading to the other SPS.

2D5DAEFE-2FA9-4354-926E-E81A2D64E5DB.png 9183BCF9-5FEC-4768-9B87-EDDF785C35EE.png EB851A20-84B7-4D6C-BA7D-B172570EB00E.jpeg

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any chance those might be pyramidellid snails? If not, I'm not sure what they are, but it looks pretty obvious it's eating your acro.

I'd pull it out of your tank and frag it. I'd also check all the other SPS to see if there are more.

I could be wrong, but that's what I'd start doing until someone else chimes in with a better idea.

OP
OP
Robert Binz

Robert Binz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any chance those might be pyramidellid snails? If not, I'm not sure what they are, but it looks pretty obvious it's eating your acro.

I'd pull it out of your tank and frag it. I'd also check all the other SPS to see if there are more.

I could be wrong, but that's what I'd start doing until someone else chimes in with a better idea.

Okay that’s the advice I needed! I’ll scrape off as much as I can and then apply a layer of glue to smother them. If it continues to recede then I’ll just trash the frag to prevent spreading

(unless anyone else has an idea)

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay that’s the advice I needed! I’ll scrape off as much as I can and then apply a layer of glue to smother them. If it continues to recede then I’ll just trash the frag to prevent spreading

(unless anyone else has an idea)
I suggested fragging it. Cut out the dead areas and make frags of what's left.

OP
OP
Robert Binz

Robert Binz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suggested fragging it. Cut out the dead areas and make frags of what's left.

Yeah but it’s a $10 1 inch frag. It’s not worth my time to make several tiny frags when I could spend the equivalent of one dinner on another this size or larger

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back