Spyglass reactor

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

jgraz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a few questions. I hope you can talk me through. I have watched the videos again and again and I just can't wrap my head around a few things.

First, the sale prices currently on the website, are those supposed to represent the introductory price? And then the first 300 will be 40% off the regular? Just so my math is confirmed the 40%off prices will be:
small: $95.99
Medium: $125.99
Large: $143.99
I just want to be sure as i may be interested in a small and large one.

Second question is related to the flow. As I look at the videos I see that the flow and tumble at the top of the reactor seems quite perfect for pretty much all medias, however at the bottom of the reactor as the water exits the pump and for what seems like a couple of inches up the flow seems to be quite violent. How does this affect the media itself as for the most part we want to shy away from an aggressive flow so as to avoid stripping film off of bio-pellets or grinding carbon and gfo to dust. Again I may be missing something here.

Lastly is the recirculating setup. How do you adjust the effluent flow? I see one pump putting water into the reactor and a second moving said water through it. However with the open to of the reactor how is the water recirculating. as it exits the top of the reactor it falls into the outer ring and will exit into the water column as opposed to remaining inside the reactor to be put in contact with the media again.

Thank you for you assistance and I look forward to your responses.

AVAST Marine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
*The listed price on the site is intro pricing, the Black Friday coupon IS eligible on this item, bringing final intro price down to 40% off.
*There is no real grinding of any media, the media in the bottom is moved to the top quickly and everything stays in suspension. It is somewhat difficult to capture this perfectly with video but with the media suspended in water it is very well lubricated so it is not "grinding".
*There is a gap between the white flange of the inner reactor and the outer chamber, this lets water flow down inside the outer chamber to be recirculated. In full recic mode the effluent rate is controlled by the input pump and valve. Our instruction manual which is just being finished up now will cover all of this in greater detail and provide some drawings and explanations.

AVAST Marine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size recommended for 60 cube

It depends on the media, but I can't imagine anything needing more than the small

cone_spec_sheet_1024x1024.jpg

OP
OP
jgraz

jgraz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh one more question. I suppose I would go with the large for a system running approx 300g. Using biopellets

reefaboo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what about the pump sizes ?

so for gfo or biopellets for a 50 gallon tank. . its the small reactor and _______ ( what pump ? sicce 0.5 or 1.0 .... /? )

thanks for the awesome product

AVAST Marine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what about the pump sizes ?

so for gfo or biopellets for a 50 gallon tank. . its the small reactor and _______ ( what pump ? sicce 0.5 or 1.0 .... /? )

thanks for the awesome product

Small reactor with NANO pump for you! Seriously a 2.8w pump, that's just rad.

AVAST Marine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People ask us all the time why we don't switch to DC pumps, Syncra pumps are LOWER wattage and come with a THREE year warranty and are LESS expen$ive, why on earth would we want to sell you a DC pump?

reefaboo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Small reactor with NANO pump for you! Seriously a 2.8w pump, that's just rad.
And that would do all the biopellets or the gfo i ever need ??

Oh and a question on pricing :)

The price is what ever it shows now plus a 15% discount correct ?? What about shipping ?

AVAST Marine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And that would do all the biopellets or the gfo i ever need ??

Oh and a question on pricing :)

The price is what ever it shows now plus a 15% discount correct ?? What about shipping ?

That will do 1/2l of pretty much any media, we used it on the AIO biopellets which are by far the highest density media and it is plenty of pump. You are correct on price. We have our UPS ground rates set to give 20% below our cost on shipping.

garyinco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These look pretty neat, as your products always have for me. The only question I have is "fines". I usually capture and discard 1-2 quarts of the initial effluent. Can't think of a way to do that with the waterfall design. Some sort of cap with some tubing attached?

Outdrsyguy1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question on water height of the sump. What's required for each size? Does it matter? I have a counter top over my sump in which the large fits but not if I have to raise it up a bunch to accommodate for correct water height.
Thanks!

AVAST Marine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These look pretty neat, as your products always have for me. The only question I have is "fines". I usually capture and discard 1-2 quarts of the initial effluent. Can't think of a way to do that with the waterfall design. Some sort of cap with some tubing attached?

We suggest rinsing media before adding to the reactor, it only takes a minute to do and makes sure you get all the fines that you are trying to remove.

AVAST Marine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question on water height of the sump. What's required for each size? Does it matter? I have a counter top over my sump in which the large fits but not if I have to raise it up a bunch to accommodate for correct water height.
Thanks!

Not super critical. All reactors require 3" minimum, the large in recic modes has max 12.5", medium and small 10.25" max water level. In single pass mode they can be run as deep as they are tall.

Ming

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does it come with the adapters to run off a manifold if we don't want to use the Syncra pumps?

bsstover

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so I'm still a little confused on what size I need to think about getting. I have a 175 total water volume. I am wanting to running gfo and carbon in same reactor. What would be the ideal size reactor and pump for this? In addition, I would like to run a separate with biopellets... I'm thinking small with nano pump for this? Thank you in advance.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 25 80.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.5%
Back