Stacked QT System- Some Questions

ReeferBean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am setting up a rack with 3 x 20 Gallon Long Quarantine tanks on a rack in my garage so I can stock my tank a little quicker.

I have read that ich can "aerosolize" into the air so a few recommend having quarantine tanks 10 feet apart? Or is that rule apply just in proximity to your display tank?

Each tank will be separately run. Heater, Air Stone, Power Head, Sponge Filter, Seachem Matrix, Ammonia badge and some pipe.

Would it matter if the quarantine tanks are stacked if all three tanks are up to therapeutic copper levels using Copper Power? As far as transmission of parasites between tanks? How likely is that to occur?

I have the Hanna Checker for copper. For this round of fish, the plan is to pre dose the tanks to 1ppm chelated copper, match the quarantine tanks salinity to that of the incoming fish, then over the course of a few days raise it to 1.75ppm. Is that right? 30 days in copper, then two rounds of General Cure? Other treatments as necessary. I have other medications on hand as well.

Thanks!

Chef Tommy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m just learning about qt my fish better than in past since I’ve gone fallow 2x’s this year due to ick. I recently learned that keeping matrix in tank can lower copper over time so I removed it this round

OP
OP
ReeferBean

ReeferBean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am setting up a rack with 3 x 20 Gallon Long Quarantine tanks on a rack in my garage so I can stock my tank a little quicker.

I have read that ich can "aerosolize" into the air so a few recommend having quarantine tanks 10 feet apart? Or is that rule apply just in proximity to your display tank?

Each tank will be separately run. Heater, Air Stone, Power Head, Sponge Filter, Seachem Matrix, Ammonia badge and some pipe.

Would it matter if the quarantine tanks are stacked if all three tanks are up to therapeutic copper levels using Copper Power? As far as transmission of parasites between tanks? How likely is that to occur?

I have the Hanna Checker for copper. For this round of fish, the plan is to pre dose the tanks to 1ppm chelated copper, match the quarantine tanks salinity to that of the incoming fish, then over the course of a few days raise it to 1.75ppm. Is that right? 30 days in copper, then two rounds of General Cure? Other treatments as necessary. I have other medications on hand as well.

Thanks!
It's fine to do this^^^. However you will want to have each tank in the same stage of treatment at the same time. To keep from cross contamination.

If you are transferring fish to a second set of tanks post copper you would want to keep them at least 10' away.

I personally run several QTs and keep them away from each other.
I don't think that is true. But I'm new to this. It looks like HumbleFish tested and the copper levels remained constant.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/seachem-matrix-for-qt-use.363132/page-3
Correct. It doesn't absorb copper. I use fluval biomax as well with no issues.

scuzy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless he's referring to matrix carbon. The aerosole ich is pretty rare. I really never bothered. Just cover the tank with a glass top so pooping air bubbles don't going it to the tank next to it.

Chef Tommy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for that input all! I’ll totally check the matrix post about biological filter. The Hanna checker for copper is on order though. I may have not had copper high enough then. The color chart is difficult for me to read

OP
OP
ReeferBean

ReeferBean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's fine to do this^^^. However you will want to have each tank in the same stage of treatment at the same time. To keep from cross contamination.

If you are transferring fish to a second set of tanks post copper you would want to keep them at least 10' away.

In your opinion how many fish can I safely keep in a quarantine that is 20 gallons? I just recently put 4 anthias... 3 bimacs and 1 sunset through QT that was 20 gallons and they seemed fine. I haven't had any ammonia problems.

1 tank will definitely have a pair of Bellus Angels. I'm trying to decide what to stock the other two tanks with.

I won't do wrasses this round as I want to try to fatten them up before I start copper. But I plan to have all three tanks filled with wrasses during that stretch.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In your opinion how many fish can I safely keep in a quarantine that is 20 gallons? I just recently put 4 anthias... 3 bimacs and 1 sunset through QT that was 20 gallons and they seemed fine. I haven't had any ammonia problems.

1 tank will definitely have a pair of Bellus Angels. I'm trying to decide what to stock the other two tanks with.

I won't do wrasses this round as I want to try to fatten them up before I start copper. But I plan to have all three tanks filled with wrasses during that stretch.
There are too many variables to make a hard and fast rule. The size of fish, feeding requirements and aggression levels all come into play.

OP
OP
ReeferBean

ReeferBean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are too many variables to make a hard and fast rule. The size of fish, feeding requirements and aggression levels all come into play.

Anthias for instance. Say Lyretails? But I do understand that.

Would you put multiple fairy wrasses of different species in a 20 gallon QT?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anthias for instance. Say Lyretails? But I do understand that.

Would you put multiple fairy wrasses of different species in a 20 gallon QT?
If they are 2.5" are under I would think you could easily do 10 anthias in a 20g QT at once. Just feed lightly but often.

If you are familiar with Evolved's wrasse compatibility chart I would use that as a reference. Size wise you could do 3 or 4 smaller ones but only if they are very likely to get along.
https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/cirrhilabrus-complexes-inferiority-need-not-apply-1st-revision.352/

Edit: With wrasses, I would also take cost into consideration. The more unique fish you put in a QT the more likely you are to have multiple health issues brought in. Not an issue if you get them out of the same tank, but if they are shipped it could cause problems. I would QT just about any rare or expensive fish singly just to mitigate risk.

OP
OP
ReeferBean

ReeferBean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they are 2.5" are under I would think you could easily do 10 anthias in a 20g QT at once. Just feed lightly but often.

If you are familiar with Evolved's wrasse compatibility chart I would use that as a reference. Size wise you could do 3 or 4 smaller ones but only if they are very likely to get along.
https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/cirrhilabrus-complexes-inferiority-need-not-apply-1st-revision.352/

Edit: With wrasses, I would also take cost into consideration. The more unique fish you put in a QT the more likely you are to have multiple health issues brought in. Not an issue if you get them out of the same tank, but if they are shipped it could cause problems. I would QT just about any rare or expensive fish singly just to mitigate risk.

Thanks @Brew12

OP
OP
ReeferBean

ReeferBean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks for the info. Much appreciated.

Back