Staghorn Coral Tree Nursery by CRF takes a page from aquarium culture techniques

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
September 23, 2011

ReefBuilders_staghorn-coral-tree-nursery.jpg
The Coral Tree Nursery is an innovative new technique for growing corals at sea which takes some inspiration from techniques for culturing corals that were pioneered in home aquariums. Now the whole Coral-Tree part is totally of Coral Restoration Foundation’s doing, but the practice of suspending corals from strings known as ‘Coral Candy’ was introduced to the aquarium hobby over ten years ago by reef aquarists who found themselves running out of space on their live rock and sand bed.

The best part of growing coral candy on strings is that not only does it save space, but it produces more coral and faster growing coral than any other kind of mounting technique that we know of, and CRF has been turned on to the idea as well. Although in the home aquarium growing corals in suspension was primarily to save space, CRF discovered that corals grown in this tree-like formation tend to eb much less disturbed by large clumsy fish like nurse sharks which tended to knock corals off of their mounts on the sea bed.

Read more...

More here...

Zef004

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats going on my Xmas list. (A Christmas tree with coral as decoration.)

Love it !! Thanks for sharing Rev

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back