Stainless steel stand

Trever

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious what folks think about a stainless steal stand. It's a commercial kitchen work table. Galvanized legs and lower shelf, stainless steel top (18 gauge, 304 stainless).

LFS says they put stainless steel cutlery in tanks and it rusts away. Salt water is known to corrode stainless steel. But for a stand that is usually dry and wiped clean with some regularity?

Copingwithpods

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stainless steel will rust, specially with splashes and salt creep. Even if you wipe it down there will be spots you can't clean, like the water that soaks in under the tank.

Easy fix though, just seal it and never worry about it again.

Copingwithpods

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Powder coating /sealing sounds expensive...
Not at all, give it a few coats of any spray sealer gloss or matte ment for metals and you'll be good to go. Krylon fusion is a safe bet. Shouldn't be more than $10 to do the whole stand.

Thespammailaccount

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really depends on the tank. Is this a tank that will get an upgrade in a few years or is this a tank you will keep 10-15+ years? Power coating will cost you a couple hundred and can last 15+ years. If this is a tank you will keep for a few years you can go with a cheaper solution and when it chips and rusts you can sand and refinish

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it will be just fine, it's just gonna be like a film of rust at most like on a couple pieces on my boat and maybe every 4 months or so a magic eraser takes it off quickly. It's not like it's a just regular steel and its gonna grow clumps of rust like on the leaf springs on my boat trailer. If you have the dough and want to spend it, the powder coating option will virtually eliminate any rust from forming unless it chips off.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back