Stand top plywood is not flat- now what?

Frogspon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Built a stand for a new 75G I'm setting up, and I picked out the truest flattest wood I could.

However, after now that the tank is on top, I notice quite a few spaces in-between the trim and the plywood that are not touching. 1/16th inch gaps in several different areas.

The outside of the plywood is held to the frame by 12 screws lol so I'm not sure if water weight is going to flatten it out..

Am I just being paranoid? What should I do?

Screen Shot 2021-03-11 at 8.37.37 PM.png

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How thick is the ply. I always use 3/4 on dimensional lumber stands to "level" out the imperfections in the dimensional lumber.

Also, what kind of tank? Does it have a plastic frame on the bottom or is it just flat glass (or plexi)?

OP
OP
F

Frogspon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How thick is the ply. I always use 3/4 on dimensional lumber stands to "level" out the imperfections in the dimensional lumber.

Also, what kind of tank? Does it have a plastic frame on the bottom or is it just flat glass (or plexi)?

3/4 inch ply on 2x4s.. added a pic to the first post.

The tank is a marine land 75G with the plastic black trim.

The stand is level, the top plywood just has some slight warping it seems.

Red_Beard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had the same problem. I put a self leveling epoxy coat on the top. Now it is smooth as glass! The tank has been on it a little over a year now and it is still as solid as ever. I recommend pro marine brand, as some at the big box stores remain a little ‘plastic’ and will sag with the weight.

Here is a pic
20190911_211632.jpg

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming the dimensional lumber top edges are flat and level and it’s the plywood that’s the problem ..... just use more screws. Every 4”. Drill and countersink holes in the ply so the screws pull everything together.

OP
OP
F

Frogspon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming the dimensional lumber top edges are flat and level and it’s the plywood that’s the problem ..... just use more screws. Every 4”. Drill and countersink holes in the ply so the screws pull everything together.

Thanks, I tried this and it helped a little.

For anyone reading this in the future, I was confident the stand was flat and level so I just went ahead with it.

Once I put the tank on and filled it with 800lbs of water the plywood decided it was fine being perfectly flat real quick.

NabberNate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had the same experience as I chose my lumber to be slightly bowed in a convex manner for the top and sure enough it laid down flat after rock and water.

Last edited:

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use timberwold ceramic shims or plastic basically from home depot or lowes. They snap off and u can use the snap off.piece to tap em back into place where u want em.
Hths
D

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 27 81.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.1%
Back