OP
2BeAlive

2BeAlive

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first large tank(135) went on a 2x6 / 3/4" birch plywood stand. It weighed more than the tank. Second tank (200) went on a oak plywood stand. I had issues with plywood blistering where it got wet, cut out the cancer and re-applied a better sealer. Third was expensive using oak hard wood boards for my 300DD. 4th tank which was a 180 from Planet came with a stand from planet. 5th tank 310 from planet, their stand was too expensive, so I built my own stand out of Russian Birch which is twice as strong, more plys, and water proof. I believe Planet uses this same wood.
310 stand.jpg

my old 300DD stand below
300-left siders (2).jpg

I finally found a decent picture of my last stand, a marine-ply stand for a very heavy cube (90cmx90cmx72cm, double braced). Definitely and option, the strength is great and takes very little space.

I was always worried that water would get into the "open pore" side of it. Next time I will make the fiber glass sheet to go over it.

IMG_1911.jpeg

IMG_1955.jpeg

Reefer Reboot

F.V.P.!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, good idea, so more like this,
2BeAlive stand basic rev 1.jpg

So for "fun" I ran some quick calculations, 6' x 2' x 2' = just under 180 gallons x 8.5 lbs/gallon = 1530 lbs x 2 for safety factor = 3060 lbs. Using the 8020 calculator (http://fandl8020.com/downloads/ , bottom right of page) and the 40-4080 profile it comes up with this. (3,000 lbs across 3 beams = 1,000 lbs each.)
2BeAlive stand basic rev 1 load calculations.jpg

So it shows a deflection of .2041". Now also keep in mind this is figured with double the water weight, does not take into account the added strength of the 24" sides of the top, does not take into account the rigidity of the table top (I would go with the butcher block top for more rigidity) nor the rigidity of the tank itself. Now you could add in some vertical pieces on the back to help out some. If the tank was acrylic I'd say there is no problem but I am assuming it's going to be glass. If so, (well either way actually) definitely ask one of the manufacturers to run it through their stress analysis and see what they say.
I read earlier that you live on the third floor so leveling feet might not be such a good idea as it puts all the weight on just a few small points. You could try putting any needed shims between the vertical posts and the bottom horizontals. This would allow the weight to be distributed over a greater area.
Watching! ;)

Joeg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I'm happy with the overbuilt wooden monstrosity I built, I do have to admit that I wish I had gone down the modular aluminium path. In the end I likely spent almost the same amount of money and expended a lot of effort and time. I ended up with something unique but I think I'd be just as happy with a Terminator looking skeleton too.

38bill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been building 3/4" thick plywood stands with wood trim for years. Everything from a BC29 to a 6 foot 215G and they all held up perfectly. Here is my latest for my 54G Fiji Cube. I also added a photo of my static test of the 215G stand I built. The weight ended up around 3800# as I remember without any noticeable deflection.

staining stand.jpg stand test.JPG

Reefer Reboot

F.V.P.!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing wrong with wood, gotta love them too. Really love the stress test!!o_O
My dimensions, top DT = 36" x 30" x 36" (1.25" thick acrylic), Bottom tank/sump = 36" x 36" x 24", stand = 39" x 39" x 24.25". Vertical pieces are 1.5" x 3" and all of the horizontal pieces are 1.5" x 1.5". Stand is topped with a .5" thick 39" x 39" piece of Lexan. Also no noticeable deflection. (And survived a few earthquakes so far.:D)
Terminator look, cool description!;Hilarious

OP
OP
2BeAlive

2BeAlive

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I
I have been building 3/4" thick plywood stands with wood trim for years. Everything from a BC29 to a 6 foot 215G and they all held up perfectly. Here is my latest for my 54G Fiji Cube. I also added a photo of my static test of the 215G stand I built. The weight ended up around 3800# as I remember without any noticeable deflection.

staining stand.jpg stand test.JPG

I don't even want to think what will happen when my family come home to this ;Facepalm

OP
OP
2BeAlive

2BeAlive

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, good idea, so more like this,
2BeAlive stand basic rev 1.jpg

So for "fun" I ran some quick calculations, 6' x 2' x 2' = just under 180 gallons x 8.5 lbs/gallon = 1530 lbs x 2 for safety factor = 3060 lbs. Using the 8020 calculator (http://fandl8020.com/downloads/ , bottom right of page) and the 40-4080 profile it comes up with this. (3,000 lbs across 3 beams = 1,000 lbs each.)
2BeAlive stand basic rev 1 load calculations.jpg

So it shows a deflection of .2041". Now also keep in mind this is figured with double the water weight, does not take into account the added strength of the 24" sides of the top, does not take into account the rigidity of the table top (I would go with the butcher block top for more rigidity) nor the rigidity of the tank itself. Now you could add in some vertical pieces on the back to help out some. If the tank was acrylic I'd say there is no problem but I am assuming it's going to be glass. If so, (well either way actually) definitely ask one of the manufacturers to run it through their stress analysis and see what they say.
I read earlier that you live on the third floor so leveling feet might not be such a good idea as it puts all the weight on just a few small points. You could try putting any needed shims between the vertical posts and the bottom horizontals. This would allow the weight to be distributed over a greater area.
Watching! ;)

This is the tool I was looking for! There is not a version for Mac?

Spdjnky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Designing my next tank, and now considering what stand to get.

I once had a 180cm x 60cmx 70cm tank that was on a plywood stand. The wood started swelling in a corner with a slow pipe leak. I sill shudder when I see commercials stands now, so want to build my own with a sturdy frame, clad in wood to match my furniture (picture for discussion, not mine).

My need tank is going to be (not bigger than) 170cm x 70cm x 60cm with a (not bigger than) 70cm x 50cm x 40cm sump.

Contemplating the material to use for the frame:

Wood:
Pro: Cheap(ish), lots of carpenters around that can do it. Cons: Wood and water again? Got to do thick and more beams that will be taking internal space in the stand.

Steel:
Pros: Cheaper than aluminium, lots of welders around that can do it. Thinner elements than wood (for the same strength) and wont swell up. Cons: More expensive than than wood. One-day it will rust.

Aluminium (welded):
Pros: Sea water proof! Same size or thinner than steel. Cons: Expensive.

Aluminium (modular) :
Pros: Sea water proof! Plug and play and can add stuff later, move stuff around Cons: Ouch, expensive.

What are you using? Your views on the pro and cons? Am I overthinking it?

WhatsApp Image 2020-07-20 at 10.31.16.jpeg
It’s not what I’m using now but if I were doing it again like you are 80/20 is the best way to go
Are used it for my screen top not really a screen top but better than one for my situation because I hate screen tops

4CEE62F6-24A7-4044-B7FF-FC79B93A0FD3.jpeg D75912A1-5AC0-41DE-9BBF-6B597A43D193.jpeg 12DB2CA0-39B7-4C45-A797-0AACEA234A05.jpeg

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5270e1db3b3dd35742f9086a8902b090.jpg

I came across this on Pinterest, am I looking for trouble? :rolleyes:

That stand was from Kyle at adaptive reef. He does all sorts of incredible builds for companies to show at conventions, etc.

It was properly designed, with engineers running the numbers and using thick wall steel tube. He will never have a problem.

BF067FE3-5C56-434B-94D7-2C609FC5CAC2.jpeg

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That stand was from Kyle at adaptive reef. He does all sorts of incredible builds for companies to show at conventions, etc.

It was properly designed, with engineers running the numbers and using thick wall steel tube. He will never have a problem.

BF067FE3-5C56-434B-94D7-2C609FC5CAC2.jpeg
i don't think anyone would argue it's under engineered.

Reefer Reboot

F.V.P.!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
;HilariousWow, uh yeah, I think this stand would be strong enough for your tank, or maybe 4 or 5 of them! But as for if you're "looking for trouble", well I do recall some stuff you said in your earlier posts. Post # 17 "but lives in a 3rd story flat without a lift." Post #20 "if I make it wider than 72cm, it will not be able to get out of a (my) single door". I think it's a great stand but how much does that work of art weigh? I've used this material at work for test stands and we end up using forklifts to move them around. Plus the weight of the tank, water, rock, equipment. I don't want to discourage you but...?.... three floors up, no lift, narrow doorway, all the weight on small feet on (what I assume is) a wooden floor. Well ..... getting it in place would make for a great build video!;)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 31.7%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 24.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back