Star marine ecologist committed misconduct, university says

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This harks back to the hay day of "global warming", where governments were literally throwing grants left and right at anything that had a potential tie-in with global warming.

You could quite literally present a paper on how the effects of McDonald's ice cream machines being constantly down for maintenance contributed to global warming and get funding for further research.

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Marine biology is a heavily female dominated field USA, Australia, Canada, New Zealand, and most European countries I believe.
This is a confusing one. I tried to look up some statistics on worldwide ratios. I found that more women get their degrees than men, but as far as women in working/leadership roles in the field, I couldn't find a solid answer.

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this thread has accomplished what it set out to, which is to spark another debate about whether we should discount all of science because of one person.

*edit! I agree I could have misinterpreted the intent of the OP. Discussion on this isn't a bad thing, as long as it's in good faith.

I don't think I can contribute further here without just shouting at a brick wall. But suffice to say, for every one scientist like this who is involved in controversy, there are far more who aren't and have accurate, repeatable data.
That's how we get modern medicine and the phones you're probably typing your responses on. That's what I mean by sample size - people are so excited to use this instance as proof that something a very large number of people are convinced is happening isn't happening, which I find deliberately obtuse.

Last edited:
OP
OP
rgulrich

rgulrich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this thread has accomplished what it set out to, which is to spark another debate about whether we should discount all of science because of one person.
Perhaps you are reading a bit more into the reason for my post than originally intended.

Cheers,
Ray :cool:

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps you are reading a bit more into the reason for my post than originally intended.

Cheers,
You might be correct, but it's not the first time it's gone this direction. It's kind of like the LED vs MH thing - bringing it up innocently doesn't mean it won't turn into tribalism at some point, lol.

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think you quite understand how PR works. The whole point of PR is to make themselves sound like the good guy in the eyes of the public. Also that argument is incredibly weak. Your logic is that they must spread a lie about their products being bad so that they can invest in new products. Really? When was the last time a company said, "Hey! All this stuff we make that you buy is terrible! Stop buying our products we have and try a new forumla!" Do you also believe that coca cola is making up that plastic doesn't degrade easily so that they can sell you sprite in an aluminum can? Its the same logic. Companies can invest in multiple products (i.e. an energy company investing in a non oil product) because it makes them less reliant in a single product and creates a more stable company.
I posted a company direct link. A quick Google search on their green energy investments will prove your absolutely wrong. Algae and corn farming investments alone will do that. So again using them is a tactic. ExxonMobil carries a negative connotation that reaches back to the Valdez oil spill. Since then their name has been used politically for pushing policies. That's it.

OP
OP
rgulrich

rgulrich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In being the Devils Advocate on this one...
In a severely competitive male dominated field, what was the motive of the whistle blowers?
Do these papers not go through a peer review? If it had, why were these ?'s not asked before?
I'm seems from the article, it wasn’t the results,, but the method of obtaining the results.
Basically her career is over. If it is true, who created the pressure to take shortcuts in obtaining the results.
These are the ?'s you have to ask yourself.
To at least partially address some of your concerns (from the complete report):
“Josefin Sundin of the Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences, a member of the group of whistleblowers, says the research culture at JCU, a tropical marine biology mecca, deserves more scrutiny. Sundin and others earlier blew the whistle on a 2016 Science study, which was also retracted; that paper’s first author, Oona Lönnstedt, also obtained her Ph.D. at JCU under Munday’s co-supervision. “We have heard many stories about an unhealthy focus on eye-catching publications at JCU. The competition level is extremely high,” Sundin says.”

Please look up Josefin Sundin's bio. And other complainants as well.

While the papers in question may have passed peer review, the research methodology was pretty much impossible to replicate and the data from the studies did not pass close scrutiny.

Peer researchers among others were the whistleblowers, and they are taking James Cook University (JCU) to task for their research culture.

Cheers,

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure folks are claiming the catastrophic effects you suggest from acidification alone.

“ Projected reduced coral cover due to bleaching events predominately drives these declines rather than the direct physiological impacts of ocean warming and acidification on calcification or bioerosion.”
Nutrients, temp, pH, change in coral predators, micro and mega…. Something is causing a change that is resulting in bleaching and die offs. Looking for one of the causes in a multi-variate equation is what the researcher was presumably awarded grants to attempt to find out.

The direction this thread is heading seems to be “well even if that one element, a drop in pH is implicated in die offs, it is bogus because my tank can handle those pH swings”. I can tell you that bacteria live better in Petri dishes than they do on door knobs, or soil samples

Read about the sargassum blooms that are occurring in the Caribbean ; Mexico to Costa Rica. They are devastating the turtle grass habitats and piling sulfuric acid spewing masses of decaying vegetation all along the coast s and barker islands. And we know the turtle grass is a nursery and food source for reefs.

Did this ever happen in recorded history of the region? Apparently not. Did it happen before then? Might have. Is it happening now in the last 5 years when water temps and nutrients are up a fraction over that past 100 years? Apparently.

I have been traveling every few years to Belize for the last 30 years, and this is a poorly reported catastrophe

This is not coral reef, but it supports the notion that small, barely recordable changes are are wreaking havoc with previously well balanced ecosystems.

As to the academic grant writing world, I am a vet researcher, in the business since ’85. And it is increasingly a dog eat dog hyper competitive world with shrinking grants and increasing costs to conduct the work,. Not only do you have formal peer review for grants and publications, but the competition has colleagues and even friends looking over your shoulder to make sure all that is published is accurate and repeatable and when it is not, it is reported. So it is hard to get away with fraudulent reporting of data over any period of time.; not passing judgement on her case.

So as a previous poster said, i did not join this thread, nor this site, to get into debates on political differences and societal divides, and backing out of this one now.

Peace out

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"If we continue to add carbon dioxide at current rates, seawater pH may drop another 120 percent by the end of this century, to 7.8 or 7.7, creating an ocean more acidic than any seen for the past 20 million years or more."

Gatorpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Psychiatry also took a hit recently:

From the article “The attorney’s clients—two prominent neuroscientists who are also short sellers who profit if the company’s stock falls—believed some research related to Simufilam may have been “fraudulent,” according to a petition later filed on their behalf with the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA).”

The guy who “found“ the alleged fraudulent blots was paid by a group of lawyers who in addition to shorting the stock, prior to this announcement are suing the company for fraud. He also is in the “anti amyloid “ camp..

Their petition to stop the trial by Cassava was denied by the FDA.

Kinda suspicious to start with.

Gatorpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure folks are claiming the catastrophic effects you suggest from acidification alone.

“ Projected reduced coral cover due to bleaching events predominately drives these declines rather than the direct physiological impacts of ocean warming and acidification on calcification or bioerosion.”
While scientists may not be doing that I see the MSM suggesting it quite often.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a while now the sin has been getting caught, not doing bad things to start with. After all it's for the cause.
We have a consensus. People in cults and religions have consensus of belief. Science has nothing to do with consensus.

Excuse me, I seem to be extra cynical anymore.

il_fullxfull.2348691161_svzh.jpg

Where we are going at almost the speed of light.

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a while now the sin has been getting caught, not doing bad things to start with. After all it's for the cause.
We have a consensus. People in cults and religions have consensus of belief. Science has nothing to do with consensus.

Excuse me, I seem to be extra cynical anymore.

il_fullxfull.2348691161_svzh.jpg

Where we are going at almost the speed of light.
Its the funniest (or saddest ) joke in the world that nobody seems to get...

wareagle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This has been refuted by actual real life, record levels of hard coral coverage on the Northern and Central Great Barrier Reef. They went from being near the lowest levels of hard coral coverage ever recorded to the highest levels recorded while going through at least two mass bleaching events. AIMS even went as far as to say that it would take decades for recovery to happen.
This all happened in the span of 4 years with another major mass bleaching happening in that time.
Things are simply not adding up.

GarrettT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

These threads always give me a chuckle. As a society, at what point, do we start believing the people that are in select fields preforming these studies? Do you believe that earth is flat or round? How have you come to believe this? Opinions I respectfully get and fully appreciate, but to count one’s own opinion as fact with limited research is self inflicting. This doesn’t extend to a single party in particular. If you choose to believe the research you hear and count it as fact, then you are one of the same. It goes both ways. If you aren’t scientifically involved in the underlining research, then consider your post an opinion. Don’t feel overly passionate about a subject that you yourself haven’t studied, otherwise it give the impression that your feelings toward the matter is bias.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

These threads always give me a chuckle. As a society, at what point, do we start believing the people that are in select fields preforming these studies? Do you believe that earth is flat or round? How have you come to believe this? Opinions I respectfully get and fully appreciate, but to count one’s own opinion as fact with limited research is self inflicting. This doesn’t extend to a single party in particular. If you choose to believe the research you hear and count it as fact, then you are one of the same. It goes both ways. If you aren’t scientifically involved in the underlining research, then consider your post an opinion. Don’t feel overly passionate about a subject that you yourself haven’t studied, otherwise it give the impression that your feelings toward the matter is bias.

While I agree with the sentiment that it is difficult for people to readily know which sorts of studies are most likely to reflect reality properly, it is not hard for scientific societies comprised of members, many of whom are actual experts in the exact field to do so.

Thus, expressions of ideas by, and publications from groups like, the National Academy of Sciences or the American Chemical Society are, IMO, generally trustworthy sources of information that do not typically require vetting.

Last edited:

GarrettT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
are, IMO, generally
Exactly, case in point, which is why many, including myself, value your contribution on this forum. It’s an honest unbiased response given what you know without the added assurance that you can’t personally verify or claim as fact.

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This has been refuted by actual real life, record levels of hard coral coverage on the Northern and Central Great Barrier Reef. They went from being near the lowest levels of hard coral coverage ever recorded to the highest levels recorded while going through at least two mass bleaching events. AIMS even went as far as to say that it would take decades for recovery to happen.
This all happened in the span of 4 years with another major mass bleaching happening in that time.
Things are simply not adding up.
I cannot find in any of the reports where AIMS said it would take decades for recovery - do you have a link?

As reef keepers, we should not be surpised that some fast growing corals grow fast when other corals don't grow well or die. Reefing should also help us understand that corals can do well short term, but that negative impacts can erase all that 'doing well' over night.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 25.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 22 78.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • Other

Votes: 2 7.1%
Back