star polyps on overflow box

surfn

I bleed orange and maroon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
anyone ever done this? either star polyps growing on their overflow box or wall?

ive seen a couple tanks with it on the overflow box and its really awesome, its just a huge green carpet. i'm just wondering if people can keep it there.....lol

i've also seen people with xenia on overflow's....another cool look, but easily can spread off the overflow and onto rock..which is a PITA.

jandlms

Reef Enthusiast
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have briareum covering a portion of the back wall of my 72 bow and some of the bright green Clavularia just starting to cover my overflow. Its real easy to start if you want that sort of look. Just peel a piece or three of the mat off of your favorite specimen and glue it directly to the glass of the aquarium or overflow.

msman825

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GSP will spread all over the tank in time. I had it and this golden SP in my tank, I threw the big rocks its on in the ocean, and like too have never got it out of my tank. I think a lot of flow spreads it everywere
starpolyp3.jpg

jc_reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may look cool, but like others have said, GSPs can spread like crazy... Unless you want them taking over, i wouldnt advise it, its a major pain to get rid of them, you have to scrape them off, and its just a headache thats not necessary... My bf had a colony in his tank, just on a rock... and at first i thought it was awesome, but then after a few months it had started spreading to all the surrounding rocks... it was a pain when we finally decided to get rid of it.... They did have a lot of flow, so maybe that is another thing that makes them grow like mad...

OP
OP
surfn

surfn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol GSP is not all that bad, if you know how to contain it.

i have it on a nice sized rock, about a foot long and it has never spread off the rock ;) granted, i made sure the rock isn't touching anything either and is in the sand bed.

but a nice carpet of this stuff looks awesome, so any time i find a cool coral i'm gonna find a way to make it work ;)

i've also done the same with xenia......although with xenia its a little harder b/c xenia can literally reach to rocks several inches away.

OP
OP
surfn

surfn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had gsp all over the overflows in my old 75. It was easy to control, when it would hit the glass, just cut with a razor blade and peel it off. If there are rocks up against the overflow it could get on that if you don't watch it. But IMO it's great on overflows and looks cool. One thing that you coudl do to make it look even cooler. Glue some small rocks on the overflow ranomly, then when it grew and covered it, it would look more natural than just all flat or round, however your overflow is.

i was thinking about putting a frag of GSP on a frag mag, and then putting that on my back wall. i have an external overflow, so it won't work quite as well as an overflow box would.......but you are right, its easy to peal off of plastic/glass surfaces.

Argent

Nano-Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I glued a large piece to the back wall of my 8G BC - hoping to get it to spread across most of the back wall - and like already pointed out - you can just cut it back when it gets to the glass corners etc.

Back