Starboard instead of plywood?

AiKkz

Hard work beats talent every time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a smaller tank (48x24x20) can I put white starboard between the stand and tank instead of using plywood? Anyone else done this and have photos? I don’t need a foam pad due to the aquarium being acrylic and the stand will be true and level. Tyia

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a smaller tank (48x24x20) can I put white starboard between the stand and tank instead of using plywood? Anyone else done this and have photos? I don’t need a foam pad due to the aquarium being acrylic and the stand will be true and level. Tyia

I wouldnt use starboard under the tank. Its not quite a grippy surface, even king starboard. Id be afraid of the tank sliding easily.

What are you trying to achieve?

The look or waterproofing?

Just coat the top of the plywood in a marine spar varnish or a waterproof coating of your liking.

OP
OP
AiKkz

AiKkz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank will be bare bottom and want the white bottom look, but also the benefits of starboard. I know I can always paint the plywood but not sure how good the finish will hold up.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank will be bare bottom and want the white bottom look, but also the benefits of starboard. I know I can always paint the plywood but not sure how good the finish will hold up.
It will work, i just do not recommend it as hard surfaces seem to slip off it easily.
I used king starboard from tap plastics and it was super expensive.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fwiw i painted my stand with chalk paint and sealed it with a matte wax chalk paint sealer. The water just beads up and off if spilled onto it.

Chalk paint is notorious for sticking to anything without much prep and the finish is a very nice smooth finish with no bumps like a regular roller or brush would cause.

I used annie sloan brand.

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im not following why you would not just use plywood under the tank AND starboard in the tank ( and for half that price you can get a 4x8 sheet of pvc at your local home supply store...

air_run

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the standard method, thanks but didn’t really answer the question.
Yes, you can use starborad but, it's not recommended due to it's "slick" nature. If you want something rigid (and white) just to separate the stand from the tank, it would be much cheaper to have a pice of 1/4" white acrylic cut.

OP
OP
AiKkz

AiKkz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, I will look into something like this.
Fwiw i painted my stand with chalk paint and sealed it with a matte wax chalk paint sealer. The water just beads up and off if spilled onto it.

Chalk paint is notorious for sticking to anything without much prep and the finish is a very nice smooth finish with no bumps like a regular roller or brush would cause.

I used annie sloan brand.

dadnjesse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If just for looks by the time you put rocks inside and corals then coralline algae is going to cover the bottom your not going to see the white bottom anyway.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If just for looks by the time you put rocks inside and corals then coralline algae is going to cover the bottom your not going to see the white bottom anyway.
Bare glass bottoms can be easily scraped clean much like the front and sides.

If the starboard were on the inside like ive used in the past, thats when it becomes unscrapeable.

I actually loved the multi color bottom of my tank. I had tons of different color algaes growing in and after a couple years it looked very aestheticly pleasing.

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
could always just paint the bottom glass white (on the outside). I like to use plasti dip for this as if you change your mind down the road it just peels off. That said I have not done it on a rimless tank, it may be difficult to position a rimless tank without scratching off the plasti dip. . . if you were careful would be fine, or just use regular spray paint.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
could always just paint the bottom glass white (on the outside). I like to use plasti dip for this as if you change your mind down the road it just peels off. That said I have not done it on a rimless tank, it may be difficult to position a rimless tank without scratching off the plasti dip. . . if you were careful would be fine, or just use regular spray paint.

Funny you said that. Ive used plasti dip every time as well for the black backs of my tanks.
Works great.

vtecintegra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see much difference between using plywood and starboard. I say use it if you want. Once filled, the tank will be close to 1000 pounds. I highly doubt it will be moveable on the starboard.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see much difference between using plywood and starboard. I say use it if you want. Once filled, the tank will be close to 1000 pounds. I highly doubt it will be moveable on the starboard.
Math is your friend

Starboard‘s static coefficient of friction (depending on actual product) ranges from 0.075 to 0.102

Let‘s call plywood somewhere between 0.7
Let’s call dry acrylic somewhere in the .6 neighborhood
Acrylic is a bit less so we will use that in our calc for acrylic to wood.

Without digging too deep into force angles and inertia, surface area etc.

The force to overcome to make then tank slide is
Force = Mass x coefficient of friction

for the acrylic to wood tank
1000 x .6 = ~600 pounds.

for the acrylic tank resting on starboard
1000 x .1 = ~100 or less pounds.

The starboard is a linear bearing… not too far off from Teflon, Delrin or other low energy plastics.

air_run

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The starboard is a linear bearing… not too far off from Teflon, Delrin or other low energy plastics.
This is completely true as we use starboard as a waste board for our industrial router at work as it makes it super easy for even one person to slide large, heavy materials such as 4'x8'x1" aluminum sheets on it.

c4sxm5

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
in the same scenario except not doing bare bottom. want a black base to go in-between the tank and stand. was suggested to use 1/4" starboard vs marine grade plywood but not sure which one is actually better. I don't see a tank sliding off either material especially with a foam pad in-between but open to suggestions. tank is 120x36, price for starboard about $400 vs $200 for marine grade plywood

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.5%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 15.8%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 74 43.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%
Back