Starboard safe for bottom of reef tank?

Leon Gorani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i want to get a sheet of plastic for the bottom (inside) of my reef tank and I’ve heard that starboard plastic is okay to use for this. Does anyone have any other material suggestions for a tank or is this a good option? Is it safe for saltwater tanks? Is there something similar I can buy at Lowe’s or Home Depot? If you have experience please give me suggestions on what type is best for a saltwater tank. I really appreciate it!

K1ng

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went barebottom on my 220g and used an ABS sheet to protect the bottom glass. It is pure black but I like the contrast it gives. It was pretty cheap, $80CAD for a 6' x 2' piece. Just make sure that when you cut it that you leave an inch gap between the board and the edge of glass around the entire perimeter of the tank.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Starboard works fine as does acrylic or polycarbonate.

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For someone looking to put a a black-bottom on a bare bottom acrylic tank, what would you guys suggest?

I want matte-deep-dark black. I am looking at custom cut stuff shipped to me, at over $100 for 1/4” starboard

I need 96” long (minus space for expansion I guess?) So I would probably do 3x 32” long pieces so I can get it past the euro-bracing etc, and also avoid “over-length” shipping charges.

Are there other/better options anyone has used? The black acrylic seems more “tinted” and not true-black. The PVC sheets (3mm) shipped to me seems a lot more affordable but it says “PVC Foam” Is this some other non-reef-safe product I am looking at, or is it schedule 40 stuff they call “foam” in the industry for some reason based on manufacturing???

Thanks

Edit. Could I cut this stuff with a utility knife???

Hmmm. picture won’t show

https://www.acplasticsinc.com/products/blk-060-48x-96-hc-abs

Last edited:

DanConnor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I used is 1/2" white PVC sheet that you can get at home depot or lowes. It appears to only come in white.

I don't know what this foam stuff is. It appears like it might be similar to something called Sintra that I have as a rigid matrix to laminate large prints on.

Jon Fishman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I used is 1/2" white PVC sheet that you can get at home depot or lowes. It appears to only come in white.

I don't know what this foam stuff is. It appears like it might be similar to something called Sintra that I have as a rigid matrix to laminate large prints on.

Home Depot’s website sells black.... I’d like to see it in person first if possible, otherwise it kinda makes ordering from them less advantageous

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know name or what it's made of. Just like plastic cardboard . They sell sheets at my Home depot . I lined the inside of my refugium ,white They had black as well . I see no harm in years. Starboard is pricey !

Jon Fishman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know name or what it's made of. Just like plastic cardboard . They sell sheets at my Home depot . I lined the inside of my refugium ,white They had black as well . I see no harm in years. Starboard is pricey !

Can you find a link on their site so I can look into it? I am hesitant to put anything in the tank without knowing what it is made of.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I can't . It's the same stuff they make "For sale, rent " signs .

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Starboard is available in white and black. And the black has a smooth side and textured side.

Black acrylic is not tinted but solid black. If you dont want the gloss surface then take 5 mins with a sander and some 220 grit and the gloss is gone. With the black acrylic you can glue some black acrylic scraps onto it and this gives you places to push rock up against so it doesn't slide and can you the ability to make some more creative aquascapes. Also adding black pond foam to the acrylic give you the ability to add shapes and structures to use as a basis to build rock structures off of.

Dave B

fishrambo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So lets come to a understanding here the HDPE is safe for a reef aquarium. I would stick with what BRS offers but the sizes aren't big enough. Thanks

fishrambo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doc Brown GIF by Back to the Future Trilogy

Back