STARFISH! Excited to come downstairs this morning to see this little guy...

guroom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So came downstairs to my office where my reef tank is. Started the morning ritual of cleaning the glass with a coffee in one hand when I saw this little guy on the glass! So excited, I assume totally safe in a reef system?

Anything I can do to help it out?

IMG_20191107_104915.jpg

OP
OP
G

guroom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leave it. Just pick them out if there starts to be too many.
After reading KJ's link I'm going to go with this method...I have PLENTY of "sand bed worms, brown diatoms or bubble algae" for them to eat, and if not...then I'll go with NeonRabbit and kill them with fire :D

Thank you all

Mr Fishface

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my starfish. Do I have tons in my tank? You bet. They don't bother my corals though and it's one of my wifes favorite part of the tank. If you ever decide you have too many they are really easy to pick off the extras but I just leave them be personally.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I disagree with that article on Asterina stars..
While it might be partially true for some of them I believe there are different types or species of Asterina star fish and that is why there are difference in opinions.

Some are coral eater while others are not. You can see the differences in the look and shape of some of them..

I have had some in my reef once and never had a issue. Some people have though..

I just believe there are different types while some are beneficial some varieties are not.

OP
OP
G

guroom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I disagree with that article on Asterina stars..
While it might be partially true for some of them I believe there are different types or species of Asterina star fish and that is why there are difference in opinions.

Some are coral eater while others are not. You can see the differences in the look and shape of some of them..

I have had some in my reef once and never had a issue. Some people have though..

I just believe there are different types while some are beneficial some varieties are not.
I agree - ultimately my takeaway from the article and responses here - leave them be unless they are/become an issue

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Um. Dont get too excited! They will populate rapidly and some do in fact eat coral.

KJ

Lone Wolf
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
[/QUOTE]
Agree.

camostore

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a lot and never see them by my corals mostly just on the sides and some times on the gha that i fight with

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had several of these guys, same with bristle worms the first 6 months and once everything really stabilized, the ecosystem just naturally works itself out. I have seen any over the last 8 months.

Txplicit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can turkey baster suck them up. Just less stressful on other livestock sticking an arm in there to remove the asterina.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 75 51.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 74 51.0%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 37 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 32 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.2%
Back