Starfish heading to the stars, do I need to save him?

TorontoStarfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi R2R community! This is my first post :) I picked up a Red Linckia a month ago. He's been very active moving around the aquarium but a week ago started a journey to space. He's stayed near the very top edge of the water for 6 days and I'm worried that there's no nutrients up there. Should we be worried? Should we move him back down to earth? Look forward to hearing form you. - Toronto Starfish
(380 Gallon Mixed Reef)
IMG_2357.jpeg

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
With the top of tank closer to light, it may be sensing a food source. The red Linckia (still widely referred to as L. multifora), is thought to derive much of its nutrition from suspension feeding on organic detritus and particulates. Depending on the source, the primary feeding method of the red linckia may be either: 1) sitting with their arms raised into the water column and using secreted mucus strands to capture floating particles which they then collect and eat, or 2) everting their stomachs onto algae and microbial films on rock and glass

OP
OP
TorontoStarfish

TorontoStarfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the top of tank closer to light, it may be sensing a food source. The red Linckia (still widely referred to as L. multifora), is thought to derive much of its nutrition from suspension feeding on organic detritus and particulates. Depending on the source, the primary feeding method of the red linckia may be either: 1) sitting with their arms raised into the water column and using secreted mucus strands to capture floating particles which they then collect and eat, or 2) everting their stomachs onto algae and microbial films on rock and glass
Thanks so much for your reply! I think thats what I saw the other night. He was sitting on the glass with 2 legs dangling into the water column. I hope he's getting enough to eat. He's sure not interested in clams we tried to feed him.

GSnake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just posted a thread with pics of my two stars, they always hang out near the top. I have a red linckia too, seems easy to care for

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 125 88.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back